Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hollandaise Sauce
05-07-2010, 01:17 PM
Hollandaise Sauce
Hmmm...wasn't sure what thread to put this in - there isn't a Sauce or Garnishing thread lol

This recipe requires a Double Boiler. This is an Intermediate Level recipe.

Ingredients:

6 egg yolks (Large or Jumbo Eggs)
1 to 2 tbsp lemon juice (depending on how tart you like your sauce)
2 sticks (1 cup) salted butter, cut into 1 tbsp pieces - keep chilled until just before adding!!
Salt and White Pepper to taste
Bowl of ice water to keep on hand

Put about 1/4" of water in the bottom pan of the double boiler. Turn heat onto Low and set water to simmer - not boiling and it's very important to not let the water touch the bottom of the top of the double boiler. In the top of the double boiler, whisk all 6 egg yolks until they become thick and sticky. Whisk in the lemon juice and place pan over the simmering water. Keep whisking the egg yolks until they become warm and the yolk mixture has thickened enough that you really see the bottom of the pan through each stroke of the whisk and you have a light creamy coating on the wires of the whisk. Note 1: it is important to keep whisking your eggs and to not let the mixture get too hot, or the eggs will scramble! While whisking the yolks add butter, 1 tbsp at a time whisking thoroughly to make sure each tbsp is incorporated before adding the next piece. Note 2: if the mixture becomes too hot and starts to separate, immediately place pan partially into the ice water and whisk to thicken the sauce again. Season the sauce, to taste, with salt, white pepper and lemon juice. To keep the sauce warm, set the pan in lukewarm water or in a thermos.

Credit for basis of recipe to Food.com and Julia Child. Slight modifications by me.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-18-2010, 08:59 PM
RE: Hollandaise Sauce
I have made Hollandaise sauce as well, but recently I found a different way that is very fast with good results. Melt butter and keep hot, in a blender add egg yolks, lemon juice, salt, white pepper, 1/8 of a cup water and blend, pour the melted butter in the heat will cook the egg yolks and you now have one of the mother sauces. I hope you try it, I was very pleased.

To be a firefighter, one can be a lot of things…except a coward.
Find all posts by this user
05-18-2010, 10:21 PM
(05-18-2010 08:59 PM)dw2112 Wrote:  I have made Hollandaise sauce as well, but recently I found a different way that is very fast with good results. Melt butter and keep hot, in a blender add egg yolks, lemon juice, salt, white pepper, 1/8 of a cup water and blend, pour the melted butter in the heat will cook the egg yolks and you now have one of the mother sauces. I hope you try it, I was very pleased.

Thanks Smile That's actually the way my sister makes it Smile I don't like to bother with the blender, myself, only cause I hate cleaning it lol
08-04-2010, 01:16 AM (This post was last modified: 08-04-2010 01:33 AM by Spi2ll2ios.)
(05-18-2010 08:59 PM)dw2112 Wrote:  ... I found a different way that is very fast with good results. ... in a blender ...
Indeed, the sauce preparation becomes dramatically mundane while the result remains decadent. (Then again, how can one go wrong when the main ingredient is butter?) My introduction to this method came from the Blender Hollandaise section of the biblical Joy of Cooking.

As a result, Eggs Benedict is arguably easier to prepare than an omelet and far more visually impressive when besetting sauce upon the recipient egg in front of your now salivating and somewhat-less-sleepy guests.

The Joy of Cooking suggests a pinch of cayenne but I can recommend a healthy two to three pinches. From one's garden variety of packaged cayenne, it provides an enhancement of flavour appropriate for all but the most octogenarian of palates.

So, Bubba, if you're watching, perhaps an update to the Bar 'n' Grill menu, Eggs section, might be in order.
08-04-2010, 11:51 AM
I just went back amd had a look at the Eggs section and saw my recipe for Huevos Rancheros in amongst the breakfast selections. Ummmmmm....must have.....

http://www.neilpeart.net/bng/recipes/hue...heros.html

Bubba will be getting back into the swing of things at The Bar 'n' Grill when he finishes that side gig hitting things with sticks.

Sacred cows make the best hamburgers.

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughtnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, 'Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".'
08-04-2010, 12:23 PM
(08-04-2010 11:51 AM)Brutus Wrote:  I just went back amd had a look at the Eggs section and saw my recipe for Huevos Rancheros in amongst the breakfast selections. Ummmmmm....must have.....

http://www.neilpeart.net/bng/recipes/hue...heros.html

Bubba will be getting back into the swing of things at The Bar 'n' Grill when he finishes that side gig hitting things with sticks.

mmmm....that there looks like some tasty stuff...would probably be good with a tiny drizzle of hollandaise sauce too LOL Everythings good with a little Heart Attack Sauce!! LOL

His 'side gig' for hitting things with sticks pleases us, so I suppose we can forgive him for his time away Wink LOL
08-11-2010, 04:27 PM
Call me lazy, but I usually make Hollandaise using that Knorr brand powdered mix, which actually is pretty good. Obviously making it fresh is preferable, but the Knorr product tastes fine (we used it reguslarly at a restaurant I cooked at years ago because it was a nuisance making fresh Hollandaise every night).
02-11-2011, 05:02 PM
(08-04-2010 11:51 AM)Brutus Wrote:  ...

Ah, yes. Another year, another Nowhere-Near-Me tour. <sigh>

(08-11-2010 04:27 PM)Merrilloverturf Wrote:  Call me lazy, but I usually make Hollandaise using that Knorr brand powdered mix, which actually is pretty good. ...

Oh, my. How much less effort could powder sauce rate versus combining egg yoke, lemon juice, butter and cayenne in the Mixmaster? To rephrase the investment commercial, if you mix a powder Hollandaise ... mm ... I may think less of you. Wink

Two pre-Christmas brunches reafirmed Eggs Benedict for me as a can't-fail crowd pleaser. Though, while I typically steam (lightly) the asparagus, a recent evening out highlighted the virtues of proscuitto-wrapped asparagus grilling. But that's another topic.
02-12-2011, 09:01 AM
Nothing beats fresh home made Hollandaise Sauce - so yummy and sinful! My mom's boyfriend introduced me to Eggs Benedict and he made a really good Hollandaise sauce. There's not much of a difference from the recipes shared here except for adding water. His recipe doesn't call for it? He used to make it for Sunday Brunch and have extra sauce left over to use on the asparagus for dinner that night.

I've hardly ever ordered Eggs Benedict in restaurants because I can tell the difference between powder or pre-packaged Hollandaise Sauces versus fresh. The taste and texture is different and if I'm going to have it I need the real deal! Shy

A long time ago there were two restaurants in Toronto known for they're fresh Eggs Benedict and my Uncle used to take us to quite often. One of the best parts was you never had to look at the menu to know what you were ordering. Eggs Benny every time!

FAITH is fear and doubt standing in HOPE. Angel
02-12-2011, 11:19 AM
(02-12-2011 09:01 AM)State of Grace Wrote:  Nothing beats fresh home made Hollandaise Sauce - so yummy and sinful! My mom's boyfriend introduced me to Eggs Benedict and he made a really good Hollandaise sauce. There's not much of a difference from the recipes shared here except for adding water. His recipe doesn't call for it? He used to make it for Sunday Brunch and have extra sauce left over to use on the asparagus for dinner that night.

I've hardly ever ordered Eggs Benedict in restaurants because I can tell the difference between powder or pre-packaged Hollandaise Sauces versus fresh. The taste and texture is different and if I'm going to have it I need the real deal! Shy

A long time ago there were two restaurants in Toronto known for they're fresh Eggs Benedict and my Uncle used to take us to quite often. One of the best parts was you never had to look at the menu to know what you were ordering. Eggs Benny every time!

The recipe I posted doesn't call for water, except Ice Water to put the pan in, in case the butter and yolks separate (to put the butter back in a semi-solid state).