Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What's for dinner, honey?
05-11-2010, 04:54 PM
RE: What's for dinner, honey?
Potato soup(my version) and a hamburger.
It was cold and rainy all day, so I needed the soup!

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-12-2010, 08:49 AM
I gotta start making dinner in a few (it's almost 11AM! Eeeek!) Tonight it's pasta with meat sauce (sweet sausage, hamburg, pork, chicken and some strip steak). The sauce has to cook for at least 3 hours before adding the meat... If I hop to it now, I might have it on the table for 5!
05-12-2010, 01:39 PM
(05-12-2010 08:49 AM)Mystress Aynn Wrote:  I gotta start making dinner in a few (it's almost 11AM! Eeeek!) Tonight it's pasta with meat sauce (sweet sausage, hamburg, pork, chicken and some strip steak). The sauce has to cook for at least 3 hours before adding the meat... If I hop to it now, I might have it on the table for 5!

How do you prepare the sauce? Is it in the oven? Stovetop? Crockpot?

I keep meaning to try a spaghetti meat sauce in the Crockpot. I'm worried the meat would be really dry though in the end.
05-12-2010, 01:59 PM
I do it on the stovetop...
I saute 1/2 minced onion and 1 minced garlic clove in REGULAR olive oil (evoo is waaaay too strong) and 'toast' the oregano, basil & parsley. Then add 56 oz. crushed tomatoes and 28 oz. water and two bay leaves. Bring to almost boiling, then reduce heat to super-low, crack cover and let simmer for 2-3 hours. Around the 2-2 1/2 hr. mark, brown 1lb hamburg and add to the pot. add the other meats and let simmer for 2 1/2 - 3 hours if meat is frozen, 1 1/2 or so if thawed (any longer and it all tastes like sawdust) Def. a project for a 'lazy' Sunday...
05-12-2010, 03:32 PM
Last night I made fettucine mixed with minced garlic browned in Olive oil, with basil and parsley, and topped with mozzarella cheese (Parmesan is better, however we were out so mozz it was!).

A party without cake is really just a meeting
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-12-2010, 03:44 PM
Last night it was homemade Rueben sandwiches.....Tonight my wife is off, so I heard from one of the kids she was makin' her awesome 'pasgetti and meatballs. Ground turkey, chuck and pork meatballs..she browns them in skillet and then finishes them in the oven...MmmmMmmmMmmm.....YUMMY!
05-12-2010, 04:29 PM
I made a huge pot of really good pasta sauce and froze it into single-serving portions, so tonight it's bowtie pasta with that sauce.

Not too exciting, alas, but hey, it's good stuff!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
05-12-2010, 06:37 PM
tonight, I'm making Jasmine rice topped with red beans, shredded cheddar cheese, diced tomatoes, avacado, cilantro, sour cream and special sauce that we buy at a locally based restaurant franchise. Very delicious!

05-13-2010, 07:36 AM (This post was last modified: 05-13-2010 07:41 AM by Janie.)
(05-12-2010 06:37 PM)Bageleth Wrote:  tonight, I'm making Jasmine rice topped with red beans, shredded cheddar cheese, diced tomatoes, avacado, cilantro, sour cream and special sauce that we buy at a locally based restaurant franchise. Very delicious!

This sounds delicious! Very similar to one of my favorite dishes. In order: white rice, black beans warmed with petite diced tomatoes with garlic, crumbled corn chips, extra sharp cheddar cheese, diced avocado, sour cream, sriracha sauce. Very drool-worthy.
Last night I made breaded, pan-fried chicken strips, stuffing, steamed broccoli and this squash side dish that I am in love with. (Thaw a small package of winter squash, stick it in a saucepan with a little chicken broth, some salt, butter and brown sugar and heat for about 10 minutes. SO GOOD!)
05-13-2010, 08:13 AM
(05-13-2010 07:36 AM)Janie Wrote:  
(05-12-2010 06:37 PM)Bageleth Wrote:  tonight, I'm making Jasmine rice topped with red beans, shredded cheddar cheese, diced tomatoes, avacado, cilantro, sour cream and special sauce that we buy at a locally based restaurant franchise. Very delicious!

This sounds delicious! Very similar to one of my favorite dishes. In order: white rice, black beans warmed with petite diced tomatoes with garlic, crumbled corn chips, extra sharp cheddar cheese, diced avocado, sour cream, sriracha sauce. Very drool-worthy.
Last night I made breaded, pan-fried chicken strips, stuffing, steamed broccoli and this squash side dish that I am in love with. (Thaw a small package of winter squash, stick it in a saucepan with a little chicken broth, some salt, butter and brown sugar and heat for about 10 minutes. SO GOOD!)

Janie, if you venture south into Oregon, there are a chain or restaurants scattered about, called "Cafe Yumm!" which is where I buy the sauce I use. They have several other delicious dishes on their menu, but that sauce is addictive!