Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What's for dinner, honey?
05-13-2010, 04:59 PM
RE: What's for dinner, honey?
(05-13-2010 08:13 AM)Bageleth Wrote:  
(05-13-2010 07:36 AM)Janie Wrote:  
(05-12-2010 06:37 PM)Bageleth Wrote:  tonight, I'm making Jasmine rice topped with red beans, shredded cheddar cheese, diced tomatoes, avacado, cilantro, sour cream and special sauce that we buy at a locally based restaurant franchise. Very delicious!

This sounds delicious! Very similar to one of my favorite dishes. In order: white rice, black beans warmed with petite diced tomatoes with garlic, crumbled corn chips, extra sharp cheddar cheese, diced avocado, sour cream, sriracha sauce. Very drool-worthy.
Last night I made breaded, pan-fried chicken strips, stuffing, steamed broccoli and this squash side dish that I am in love with. (Thaw a small package of winter squash, stick it in a saucepan with a little chicken broth, some salt, butter and brown sugar and heat for about 10 minutes. SO GOOD!)

Janie, if you venture south into Oregon, there are a chain or restaurants scattered about, called "Cafe Yumm!" which is where I buy the sauce I use. They have several other delicious dishes on their menu, but that sauce is addictive!

I looked online but they have a lot of sauces. Which one do you like best? Do you know if I can order it online?

Dinner tonight: I'm making my "spaghetti bake." I don't know why I call it that, always have so it sticks. I combine al dente pasta of my choice (tonight it's bow tie pasta - easy for the toddler) with my meat sauce which is: sautéed onions, garlic, carrots, zucchini (last two diced beyond recognition because of my picky eaters), mushrooms, tons of butter (it is impossible to be on a diet in my house), beef with loads of fat (never drained – heck, those shrooms will soak up all that yummy grease), massive can of crushed tomatoes, can of petite diced tomatoes, tom paste… throw everything into a lard greased (you heard what I said about diet, right?) baking dish, slap some mozzarella and parm on top and bake for about an hour. So awesome and greasy! Leftovers are WAY better!

Believe it or not, I serve a salad with this! A smidge of health. Big Grin Washed down with some red wine, of course.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-13-2010, 06:08 PM
(05-13-2010 04:59 PM)Janie Wrote:  
(05-12-2010 06:37 PM)Bageleth Wrote:  tonight, I'm making Jasmine rice topped with red beans, shredded cheddar cheese, diced tomatoes, avacado, cilantro, sour cream and special sauce that we buy at a locally based restaurant franchise. Very delicious!

This sounds delicious! Very similar to one of my favorite dishes. In order: white rice, black beans warmed with petite diced tomatoes with garlic, crumbled corn chips, extra sharp cheddar cheese, diced avocado, sour cream, sriracha sauce. Very drool-worthy.
Last night I made breaded, pan-fried chicken strips, stuffing, steamed broccoli and this squash side dish that I am in love with. (Thaw a small package of winter squash, stick it in a saucepan with a little chicken broth, some salt, butter and brown sugar and heat for about 10 minutes. SO GOOD!)

Janie, if you venture south into Oregon, there are a chain or restaurants scattered about, called "Cafe Yumm!" which is where I buy the sauce I use. They have several other delicious dishes on their menu, but that sauce is addictive!

I looked online but they have a lot of sauces. Which one do you like best? Do you know if I can order it online?

Dinner tonight: I'm making my "spaghetti bake." I don't know why I call it that, always have so it sticks. I combine al dente pasta of my choice (tonight it's bow tie pasta - easy for the toddler) with my meat sauce which is: sautéed onions, garlic, carrots, zucchini (last two diced beyond recognition because of my picky eaters), mushrooms, tons of butter (it is impossible to be on a diet in my house), beef with loads of fat (never drained – heck, those shrooms will soak up all that yummy grease), massive can of crushed tomatoes, can of petite diced tomatoes, tom paste… throw everything into a lard greased (you heard what I said about diet, right?) baking dish, slap some mozzarella and parm on top and bake for about an hour. So awesome and greasy! Leftovers are WAY better!

Believe it or not, I serve a salad with this! A smidge of health. Big Grin Washed down with some red wine, of course.

I don't know yet if you can order the sauce. Our favorite is the Original style.

The spaghetti bake sounds really good! I may have to try that some time! I'm making calzone tonight Smile

A party without cake is really just a meeting
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-16-2010, 07:30 AM
(05-13-2010 06:08 PM)Bageleth Wrote:  

I don't know yet if you can order the sauce. Our favorite is the Original style.

The spaghetti bake sounds really good! I may have to try that some time! I'm making calzone tonight Smile

I forgot to say that I like to use a lot of basil and a little oregano in the sauce. Plus, I always put in about 1/4 cup or so of cream into the sauce as well. I almost always put cream in my tomato sauce. For a non-meat spag sauce my favorite is to go simple and just do crushed tomatoes, butter, basil, cream and vodka.
05-16-2010, 09:34 AM
(05-16-2010 07:30 AM)Janie Wrote:  
(05-13-2010 06:08 PM)Bageleth Wrote:  

I forgot to say that I like to use a lot of basil and a little oregano in the sauce. Plus, I always put in about 1/4 cup or so of cream into the sauce as well. I almost always put cream in my tomato sauce. For a non-meat spag sauce my favorite is to go simple and just do crushed tomatoes, butter, basil, cream and vodka.

3/4 of my family love the tomato/vodka sauce! I made it for the first time this past winter. I love most sauces with cream in them!

05-27-2010, 11:31 PM
Photo RE: What's for dinner, honey?
Ok, I'm still kind of figuring this out. However, I added an attachment of a picture of tonight's dinner. It was simple. Cauliflower soup (with sour cream mixed in......very delicious!) and my first try at making breaded, fried mozzarella sticks. I originally thought that I had made too many, but my kids devoured them. I also was able to find a new function for my husband's shot glasses, haha!

Hopefully the attachment will work Smile

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

05-28-2010, 08:59 AM
My step daughter is a manager at a KFC/Taco Bell so she always brings us leftover chicken when she works the late shift so last night we had Chicken, stuffing and corn.

Kinda sick of KFC actually lol
05-28-2010, 12:26 PM (This post was last modified: 05-28-2010 12:27 PM by 2Beers.)
Last nite (thurs.) we had "campfire packets". Which is really is a piece of tin foil with a bit of olive oil drizzled on and a hamburger patty, baby carrots, sliced onions,sliced potatoes,with salt and pepper sprinkled on top. Seal up the packet and place on the grill until all are cooked,serve and eat.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
05-28-2010, 06:02 PM
Tonight, CrockPot stew with massive chunks of beef and potato. Extra carrots and some peas. I thought I'd try something different for the "sauce." I'm curious to see how it turns out. The recipe called for 1 1/2 cups of beef broth but the stew always comes out with the liquid being more brothy/soupy. I like a really thick, small amount of liquid. Anyway, I mixed about 1/4 cup water and 1/2 cup wine with a can of cream of celery soup. (No one barf... this was an experiment.) It was done a while ago and I have the CrockPot on "warm" hoping to thicken up the liquid a bit more. I'll report back. I'm also making cornbread because to me, you can't have stew without a huge piece of butter-slathered cornbread dripping with honey.
05-28-2010, 10:17 PM
Tonight,and last night, Tuna macaroni salad with sliced black olives, celery seed,sea salt, fresh ground pepper and no fat mayo. Fresh strawberries for dessert.
Usually the tuna salad would get diced onion, red peppers, and cucumber, but I was too tired to chop vegetables last night.

05-31-2010, 05:02 PM (This post was last modified: 05-31-2010 05:06 PM by Janie.)
(05-28-2010 06:02 PM)Janie Wrote:  Tonight, CrockPot stew with massive chunks of beef and potato. Extra carrots and some peas. I thought I'd try something different for the "sauce." I'm curious to see how it turns out. The recipe called for 1 1/2 cups of beef broth but the stew always comes out with the liquid being more brothy/soupy. I like a really thick, small amount of liquid. Anyway, I mixed about 1/4 cup water and 1/2 cup wine with a can of cream of celery soup. (No one barf... this was an experiment.) It was done a while ago and I have the CrockPot on "warm" hoping to thicken up the liquid a bit more. I'll report back. I'm also making cornbread because to me, you can't have stew without a huge piece of butter-slathered cornbread dripping with honey.

In a word, 'meh.' Think I'll go back to my original recipe.
I did a ton of yard work yesterday and wasn't in the mood to cook so I just jazzed up a store-bought cheese pizza. Not one from the freezer. One from the deli, that they make. I bought decent pepperoni, salami and mushrooms to add for toppings. Pizza and some red wine, voila. Easy and yummy. Can't go wrong with pizza!

Tonight I'm making Moroccan Stew. I've never made one because of my picky eaters but I'm growing increasingly tired (and bored!) of eating the same things. I like to experiment with things and try different foods and such. I'll report back on the stew.