Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Reusing the oil in my deep fryer
03-28-2010, 10:17 AM
Reusing the oil in my deep fryer
How long can reused oil be stored? How many times can you reuse the cooking oil? What is the best oil to use? I found this link and it seems pretty straight forward but I was wondering if there was anyone out there who worked in a commercial kitchen and what their guidelines were for reuse.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/CookingOil.htm

Sacred cows make the best hamburgers.

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughtnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, 'Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".'
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-17-2010, 09:32 AM
RE: Reusing the oil in my deep fryer
Never worked in a commercial kitchen , but have experience with deep frying-Don't fry fish inthe oil and use it for other stuff- it will all get "fishy". . .You can keep the oil (used) in a plastic container for up to 6 months, but after that, recycle it!
04-17-2010, 10:36 AM (This post was last modified: 04-21-2010 02:05 PM by Chase David.)
I was a line cook for a while and here are few of the things we did :

1. When the oil should be changed : When the food, let's say french fries, start getting dark brown and the outside is being cooked before the inside is finished, the oil needs to be changed. This is especially important when deep frying battered poultry as well as fish (as said already fish should have it's own fryer).

2. Cleaning oil : Ideally the fryer oil should be filtered every other day or daily if there's a lot of deep frying that's done. Filtering the oil (most commercial fryers have a filter system when cleaning the fryer) will filter out bits of batter and small food that escapes the basket which will lead to the oil breaking down quicker and thus leading to completely needing to change the oil sooner. After filtering the oil and cleaning the fryer, refill the fryer with the "filtered oil" and add new oil if needed. A general rule of thumb is filter the oil twice through out the week and replace the oil after that.

The above is some basic (very basic) info. on how some commercial restaurants maintain their fryers. Old oil that's been broken down will also lead to a really greasy product (more than normal).

For residential purposes, after the oil has been used and cooled off, filter the oil using a coffee filter or a cone shaped screen filter/strainer of some type to get rid off any "chunks". Then place the oil in an air tight container. It should be good for a couple weeks (maybe a little longer). A good clue to know if it's good or not is the smell. The oil will have a rancid odor to it if it's gone bad.

Anyone else....
04-20-2010, 08:30 PM
If it looks and smells bad, than its time for new oil. Thats my rule.

Wink
04-20-2010, 11:12 PM
I used to work in a grocery store deli where we also fried a lot of food. If I remember correctly, we did filter the oil daily, or every other day. However, we discarded the oil every 3 days. If the oil is so dark that you can't see what you're frying, it's time for new oil!

A party without cake is really just a meeting
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-21-2010, 10:13 AM
I think ultimately the temperature the oil reaches and items fried determine the oil's longevity too.

It's a nasty task cleaning those friers, but the more the maintenance the better the resulting products.

375 F is a max temp in my experience, even 350 might do depending on what you are cooking.

The colder your items are before dunking into the oil the better, particularly if there is a lot of crumby breading.
(ie- leaving food on counter before cooking will affect the temperature difference between the oil and food, think cold or frozen)

If those crumbs come off or the items seem wilted when dunked, either the oil temperature is too low, the binding agent on the food coating is too wet or unbound, or the food temperature is too warm.

Skimming the frier all the time is best, and between cooking, it is best to remove heat from the oil altogether.

As those pesky crumbs continue to cook in the frier while the pieces have been removed, they burn black and taint the oil.

From my experience, the oil just below a smoking point is best.
04-21-2010, 10:59 AM
Chase David is spot on. Sergio nutshelled it perfectly. Always consider what it is you are regularly frying
04-21-2010, 01:48 PM
I don't use my deep fryer very often, so I change the oil every time I use it. Just don't use olive oil as it burns rather quickly, vegetable based oils seem to work well for me.
04-21-2010, 03:01 PM
(04-21-2010 01:48 PM)neilpeartrules Wrote:  I don't use my deep fryer very often, so I change the oil every time I use it. Just don't use olive oil as it burns rather quickly, vegetable based oils seem to work well for me.
I've been doing a bit of searching and the most popular suggestion is peanut oil. Costs a lot though. I've heard that grapeseed oil is a good and cheaper alternative. I've never used it but the burning point seems to be about the same as peanut oil and I agree with other posters that you don't need to get your oil temp over 400 degrees so it should work fine. I was just curious as to the taste.

Sacred cows make the best hamburgers.

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughtnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, 'Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".'
04-21-2010, 03:29 PM
I'm not convinced that there would be any "flavour" in the oil after it reaches its boiling point (or well beyond that). Unless you leave the used oil in the fryer, you might pick up some of the residual flavours from that pork schnitzel that you made last November? Yummy!