Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
Propane or Charcoal.
04-18-2010, 08:30 AM
RE: Propane or Charcoal.
How about Natural Gas? It's specific gravity is about half that of LPG, so therefore it is not quite as hot. That in conjunction with a good smoker works well for me especially in the winter. I find that it is the drippings from the meat that vaporize when hitting a hot surface that add flavour to the food, so it is basically a matter of convenience?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-18-2010, 08:43 AM
(04-18-2010 08:30 AM)neilpeartrules Wrote:  How about Natural Gas? It's specific gravity is about half that of LPG, so therefore it is not quite as hot. That in conjunction with a good smoker works well for me especially in the winter. I find that it is the drippings from the meat that vaporize when hitting a hot surface that add flavour to the food, so it is basically a matter of convenience?
I think that perhaps the reduction in available heat is of no consequence. My propane BBQ goes to 700 degrees and who needs that amount of heat? Just refer to the vinyl siding on my house...DOH! And I think you're right, in colder climes propane or gas makes for a more convenient option when the temperature can cause hypothermia. My stove is gas and I could convert my propane Q to that but the cost of doing so surprised me. Have to get a pro in to do the work (insurance issues) and they aren't cheap. As a side-note I'd like to direct you to a new forum I've set up for future discussions on smoking, grilling and BBQing. See you there.

Sacred cows make the best hamburgers.

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughtnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, 'Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".'
04-18-2010, 09:31 AM
Actually the biproducts of the combustion process for methane contains more co2 than propane, so it is a heat source with more moisture. You probably noticed that with your gas stove? The oven glass condenses when you first ignite it? It is this moisture in the heat that helps with the indirect grilling method.

(04-18-2010 08:43 AM)Brutus Wrote:  
(04-18-2010 08:30 AM)neilpeartrules Wrote:  How about Natural Gas? It's specific gravity is about half that of LPG, so therefore it is not quite as hot. That in conjunction with a good smoker works well for me especially in the winter. I find that it is the drippings from the meat that vaporize when hitting a hot surface that add flavour to the food, so it is basically a matter of convenience?
I think that perhaps the reduction in available heat is of no consequence. My propane BBQ goes to 700 degrees and who needs that amount of heat? Just refer to the vinyl siding on my house...DOH! And I think you're right, in colder climes propane or gas makes for a more convenient option when the temperature can cause hypothermia. My stove is gas and I could convert my propane Q to that but the cost of doing so surprised me. Have to get a pro in to do the work (insurance issues) and they aren't cheap. As a side-note I'd like to direct you to a new forum I've set up for future discussions on smoking, grilling and BBQing. See you there.
04-18-2010, 03:45 PM
How about Propane Smokers? Do they screw the taste of the meat?
04-18-2010, 04:30 PM
I wouldn't think so. The key is to regulate the temperature.
04-20-2010, 08:48 PM
I would have to vote for Charcoal. I just got back from renting a little cabin for the weekend near the Mississippi Palisades. They had a little grill there we could use. After a long strenuous hike through the nearby state park and skipping lunch, we were feeling pretty starved. On the way back we stopped for charcoal and two of the biggest steaks we could find for the grill. Back at the cabin, we found there was little else to use, no seasonings or marinates, not even any salt or pepper. Just primal meat and charcoal. Let me tell you, those ended up being some the best steaks we've ever had. I suppose being so tired and hungry was a part of it, and the cooking it and the way it smelled as it cooked. After all the hiking it really felt like we earned it too.Wink

On the flip side, my cousin has a gas grill setup. It uses natural gas piped from the house. All he has to do is flip a knob and walk out with the rib eyes. I have to admire the ease and convenience, and it doesn't taste too bad either. I kind of think I would like to just flip a knob and start cooking at my house too, but still there is something missing in the flavor.

But sometimes it is not all convenience. I was visiting my parents in their rented Florida house one February, it was my birthday and my Dad asked what I would like for dinner. So I told him I would like not one, but two steaks on the grill (hey, it was my birthday). So he got everything ready to go, turned the knob, and the propane tank ended up being empty. Dodgy Grumbling, he asked who wanted to go with him and exchange the tank. We elected to stay by the pool and wait there while having another drink.Big Grin

Well-weathered leather, hot metal and oil, the scented country air..
04-21-2010, 07:25 AM
I use propane at present, but I am unhappy with my current grill. I use propane primarily because of the evenness of the heat, as I am new to grilling. However, my current grill is pretty pathetic in that regard. This summer, I hope to make purchase of a medium charcoal grill and will try both out.
04-22-2010, 12:18 PM
We have always used charcoal, that is until we renovated the kitchen, and for convenience and faster meals we purchased a gas grill. Since renovations have been completed we only use the gas grill for quick meals. For us charcoal is the best way to go. We use charcoal year round (yes winter included). My husband has been known to be outside when it is snowing cooking a turkey breast (sometimes smoking them). YUM!
04-23-2010, 04:46 PM (This post was last modified: 04-23-2010 05:29 PM by old honda rider.)
I use propane basically for the convenience factor. To add a little "wood smoke" flavour to whatever I happen to be grilling, I use hickory chips and just throw them on helter-skelter on the burners.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
04-25-2010, 06:41 AM
Always use Charcoal or wood chips, depends on what were cooking. Never have used propane and never will, my hubby thinks it is sacrilegious.