Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
Propane or Charcoal.
04-28-2010, 09:26 AM
RE: Propane or Charcoal.
(04-17-2010 03:46 PM)john tinelli Wrote:  I think it depends on who I am cooking for and what I am cooking.
If I am cooking a Zwiegles hot dog gas is ok.

Originally hailing from Western NY, I absolutely LOVE Zwiegles hots; reds and whites. Thankfully my dad still lives there so he brings a stockpile up everytime he visits.

As for the propane/charcoal debate, I admit to using primarily propane, like many have stated for the convenience. If I were to do some serious grilling on the weekend, I'd break out my charcoal grill. I am also one of those who grills year round. We get some pretty serious winters up here, but that doesn't stop me from throwin' a big hunk o' meat on the grates in mid January!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-28-2010, 10:31 AM
Although I have been using propane, I much prefer a good hard wood taste. I've been playing with the idea of still using my propane grill but using real wood instead of lava rocks. Maybe take advantage of the ease of propane just to get the wood going then shut it off. Any ideas?
04-28-2010, 11:11 AM
My propane Q has three burners running from front to back. To the left under the grill and abobe the burners is a little box for wood chips. If I want a smoky flavour I turn on all three burners and get the Q hot and then I turn off the 2 right burners. I put my soaked wood chips in the box just above the burner that remains on. I put my meat or fish over the burners that are turned off and close the lid. The heat will hover around the 300 degree mark and the wood chips slowly smoke and burn away. Every now and then I top up the box with more chips. It helps if you remove the grill above the chip box for easy access during cooking and to allow filling without too much of the heat or smoke to escape. Not as good as a full-out smoker but it does a nice job. If you don't have a little chip box you can use a tray or piece of tinfoil placed right above the burner and throw your soaked wood chips on that.

Sacred cows make the best hamburgers.

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughtnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, 'Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".'
04-28-2010, 12:49 PM
Um...I audited a company several years back...they made 'smoked' meats. And I don't want to tell you what I saw them burning to get the 'smoked' part of the 'smoked meats'. Ever since (or, as they say in some parts, 'every' since), I use hickory or mesquite. Period.
04-28-2010, 01:42 PM
Just wondering if Mr.Peart uses his broken sticks
to smoke some meat...Just wondering!
04-29-2010, 07:31 AM
(04-17-2010 10:11 AM)Brutus Wrote:  Bubba has always used charcoal in his Weber grill but I, until recently, have used propane mainly for it's convenience, although I do smoke using indirect heat with cuttings from my apple tree. I agree that charcoal (hardwood and some natural wood briquettes) is the way to go and now that the weather is warming up here in Cowfart I'm going to start experimenting with a WSM. I like it's size, simplicity and the fact that it's readily available locally but am open to suggestions.

I have tried every form of cooking outside, my favorite is the "green egg" it works in all tempuature ranges and is easy to manage. The egg smokes things well and makes great pizza, give it a look.

To be a firefighter, one can be a lot of things…except a coward.
04-29-2010, 08:48 AM
Yes I've seen "The Egg" at my local BBQ shop. I've also seen the price....Yikes!

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughtnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, 'Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".'
04-29-2010, 11:52 AM
Lowes has a Green Egg (Ontario) for $650.00.
04-29-2010, 01:01 PM
That's a great price! only $200 more than a the higher priced WSM. And they look so cool too!

04-29-2010, 01:35 PM
I could not convince my wife that the egg was the way to go... She was right though as space is an issue. Unfortunately, for me to use charcoal I spend more time running down stairs to the drive way than I care to, so i use Propane up on the deck right next to the house. I guess I have two answers- I prefer Charcoal, but use Propane.

Zwiegles are indeed the best and my folks are coming to visit today, large cooler of white hots in tow!

November is now MOvember. Knowledge is POWER and the Mustache is KING. Support mens Health and my Mustache farm here: http://mobro.co/counselor