Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
Propane or Charcoal.
04-29-2010, 09:42 PM
RE: Propane or Charcoal.
(04-29-2010 01:35 PM)Counselor Wrote:  I could not convince my wife that the egg was the way to go... She was right though as space is an issue. Unfortunately, for me to use charcoal I spend more time running down stairs to the drive way than I care to, so i use Propane up on the deck right next to the house. I guess I have two answers- I prefer Charcoal, but use Propane.

Zwiegles are indeed the best and my folks are coming to visit today, large cooler of white hots in tow!

I could not covince my wife either, but she cant cook, she orders out...I know the egg is big bucks but you get what you pay for. I also prefer natural chunk charcoal, the heat is amazing. Good luck and grill on...

To be a firefighter, one can be a lot of things…except a coward.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2010, 08:12 AM
Like lots of folks here, I prefer charcoal, but I use propane. It was my husbands influence, he prefers propane since it is easier to start than gas. So as a compromise, we invested (and I mean invest!) in a Webber Summit. The reason this was a compromise is that it has a huge chip box and a seperate burner to light it. I still cringe at the price, but without it I never would have attemped the 15lb prime rib I did for Christmas last year. It turned out amazing.....
I saw that lots of folks has wood chip recomendations too, so I vote for....Rosemary! I have a big old one growing in the back yard, and once when I was out of smoker chips, I found a couple of broken branches of rosemary and threw it directly on the grill and let it burn. Amazing smoke, and the steaks were to die for.
05-05-2010, 01:14 PM
Hi Folks!

Thanks for the new Forum Brutus!

Check another one off for Lump Charcoal.

I got a Big Green Egg late last summer and love love love it. It sure is pricey but the nice thing is just having it added SO many new toys for my wife and others to buy for me! Plenty of cool things to add onto the beast!

The real beauty is the ease. I have a nice gas grill that I haven't fired up since. I've used it for things as simple as burgers and dogs and also longer cooks like ribs.

I've always been a Propane grill guy. I never cared much for those "Charcoal people" but now I understand!
05-05-2010, 08:18 PM
Another for Lump Charcoal.
05-06-2010, 07:57 AM
I have both a Weber Kettle and a Weber Propane Grill. When I have adequate time the Kettle is in use, BUT-
The convenience of gas is hard to beat if you have any sort of time constraint and gas enables me to cook outside far more often. I like to grill vegetables and fish as often as I do meats (Doctor's Orders) and gas is fine for a good portion of the things I cook.
I also live in an area where I'm a short drive from some stupendous barbecue joints so I can get my fill of smoke and keep my hands clean!
05-06-2010, 07:34 PM
I use a natural charcoal or wood. i have a lot of oak firewood which i split to a large kindling size and burn down and use.

I lived in the mtns of colorado for many years and in really, really cold climates, propane is the way to go but under normal cooking conditions I prefer charcoal or wood.
05-07-2010, 07:11 PM
So I went out today and purchased a "Kamado" which is not a Green Egg but very similar. It is a bit larger than the Green Egg and about half of the price. Thing weighs a ton. I will try it out in the next few days and let you know what I think.
http://www.thebayou.com
05-08-2010, 02:05 PM
For grilling (steaks, burgers, chicken) I think propane is fine but if you're really going to bar-b-q (low and slow) then it's gotta be charcoal all the way.
05-12-2010, 12:28 PM
The weather has been shoddy so I am waiting to try this out. I got a bag of lump charcoal, some maple, apple, hickory, mesquite, alder and cherry wood and a decent (small) cast iron smoker. Oh yeah, and a basic charcoal chimney. All I need now is some nice weather.......
05-12-2010, 02:01 PM
(04-17-2010 09:47 AM)rkalem Wrote:  As an avid BBQ fanatic,I have always used charcoal
for the great taste.Why would anyone even try to use
propane? Please tell me what you use and why?

PROUD MEMBER OF
P.E.T.A...PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS.