Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
LeMans style endurance racing anyone?
06-11-2011, 11:23 PM
RE: LeMans style endurance racing anyone?
I have always been a big fan of the 24 Heures du Mans. I got this from my father who was a big fan of Gentleman racing.Smile

Don't get me wrong now, we also loved the OLD NASCAR( I grew up in NC) and both of us loved the way it used to be, but I felt that NASCAR became too PC and got out of it.

He also taught me the thrill of F1 from his experiences of it when he was stationed in Germany. I relish the strategy and positioning of this type of racing, wearing down an opponent, then striking at the perfect time. I have found MotoGP to be this on 2 wheels...SCARY COOL!.Big Grin

I'm taking a ride with my best friend...I hope he never lets me down again.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-12-2011, 09:16 AM
(06-11-2011 02:08 PM)Gungawoman Wrote:  McNish's wreck was something!
I've always been a race fan-and Hubby too! My Mom got me into racing AND football! She'd take me to football games growing up, and also took me to Indy car racing at Ontario Motor Speedway when they 1st built it. I used to be a HUGE NASCAR fan, but just couldn't get on with it after Earnhardt died. I LOVE F1. We get up early (or stay up late) just to watch the races live-no replays for us! Adding Steve Matchett was brilliant! The only bad part is Bernie Ecclestone selling out the sport to whoever gives him the most $$$.
Then there's World Rally, Indy cars, Moto GP, so much racing and so little time.Big Grin

Gungawoman, It's always great to hear from and meet other female 'Gear Heads'!!! Our numbers are growing! Smile

What an amazing 24 Hours of LeMans race! Managed to hang in watching it until 2am this morning and then got up to watch the finish. Stellar win by the last remaining Audi Prototype LMP1!!!

Another BIG scare with the 2nd Audi having a HUGE crash at full speed last night. It produced a 2 hour caution as they had to make repairs to the guard rail and supports. Like McNish's crash the car disintegrated upon hitting the barrier at full race speed. Another hold your breath moment but unbelievably driver Mike Rockenfeller climbed out and was taken to hospital as a precaution. Thankfully the reports are that he is OK. Audi was running a new light weight body but thankfully the strength of the cockpits was stellar. Here is the footage of the crash, if you look at around the 2:00 minute mark you'll see just how much the car broke apart:

http://www.speedtv.com//video/auto-racin...01/1#_vtop

FAITH is fear and doubt standing in HOPE. Angel
06-12-2011, 01:50 PM
Grace--
The whole of Le Mans was excellent. I was a bit surprised at the amount of tire trouble though. Did you see McNish lovingly pat his car when he got out after the wreck?
Currently still waiting on F1 from Canada. Rain, rain go away!
Anyone here like Dakar? The old race--not the S. American version?????

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
06-12-2011, 02:42 PM
(06-12-2011 01:50 PM)Gungawoman Wrote:  Grace--
The whole of Le Mans was excellent. I was a bit surprised at the amount of tire trouble though. Did you see McNish lovingly pat his car when he got out after the wreck?
Currently still waiting on F1 from Canada. Rain, rain go away!
Anyone here like Dakar? The old race--not the S. American version?????

A fan of the old Dakar. Want to see one of the new ones, but just recently picked up the channel on satellite and found out its held in Jan.

06-13-2011, 03:42 PM
(06-12-2011 02:42 PM)smoker guy Wrote:  A fan of the old Dakar. Want to see one of the new ones, but just recently picked up the channel on satellite and found out its held in Jan.
The coverage on Versus used to be quite good. Now they gloss through it and you have to dig to find it. At least they show something though! I'll remind you to watch next January!

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
06-14-2011, 09:47 PM
(06-13-2011 03:42 PM)Gungawoman Wrote:  
(06-12-2011 02:42 PM)smoker guy Wrote:  A fan of the old Dakar. Want to see one of the new ones, but just recently picked up the channel on satellite and found out its held in Jan.
The coverage on Versus used to be quite good. Now they gloss through it and you have to dig to find it. At least they show something though! I'll remind you to watch next January!

Thanks a lot Gungawoman.Big Grin I hope it holds some of the excitement that the old Paris-Dakar Rally held. I completely understand with the problems facing N. Africa why it was moved to S. America. I'll have to put my motorcycle gear on when the wife and I watch to give her a good laugh.Tongue