Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Cooking on the Road
05-11-2010, 08:18 PM
Cooking on the Road
I see there are a lot of identified riders (cycles, bikes, as well as other modes of transportation that require minimizing take-alongs) and I'd like to get your opinions and tips on cooking while on the road. One-pot recipes, packaged foods v. home-creations, freeze-dried or cans- what are your favorites?

A clear conscience is a sign of a bad memory
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-12-2010, 01:53 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2010 02:00 PM by Timmay!.)
RE: Cooking on the Road
I used to do a lot of camp cooking on fires, but when that wansn't do-able, a small stove like an MSR Whisperlite (especially the internationale, which can run on anything from white gas to kerosene) was the thing for me. It could do all sorts of one pot meals, and I actually had a little contraption (a deep pan with a tight fitting domed lid, a heat diffuser for underneath it, and an aluminized fabric cover for the whole thing) that turned it into a passable oven, in which I baked everything from pizzas to cakes while on the road. Best thing about them is that they're tiny ad lighweigh, and in a pinch, you can siphon some gas from your tank and cook on that, which lets you have some emergency gas for either your stove or your bike. How much better can it get? Wink

-Tim
Ohh.... forgot to mention that I've always wanted to try the "road stew" that Alton Brown made in one of the episodes of "Feasting on Asphalt." He basically put all the stew ingredients into one of those little aluminum containers, pinched it shut, wrapped the whole thing in some foil, and then wired it on to the exhaust of his bike and rode all day. By the end of the day, there you go, nice tender slow cooked stew.

-Tim
05-12-2010, 11:40 PM
RE: Cooking on the Road
I'll have to check out that stew idea. I've got a great tiny stove (I think it's the msr "pocket rocket".... or maybe that's just what I've always called it) that is great for on the road- takes up almost no room and the canisters of gas last me quite a while. I've been using Mountain House pro-pack dehydrated meals for the last few years while on my bike campouts, but I'm starting to get bored with re-hydrated stuff.
Just saw a video from a guy who mixes rice with instant soup and summer sausage- looked interesting.

A clear conscience is a sign of a bad memory