Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Your online "Handle"
05-16-2010, 05:31 PM
RE: Your online "Handle"
I fix wagons for a living. Tractor trailers, that is.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-17-2010, 06:21 PM (This post was last modified: 05-17-2010 06:26 PM by Mufasa.)
Paintball!
"Mufasa" is what the kids stuck me with (I'm one of the oldest guys on the field).

Most of us are so caught up in life that we forget to live it.
05-18-2010, 08:26 AM
Like a flower in the desert
That only blooms at night
I will quietly resist

Got me to thinking that usually some of the most fragrant flowers only bloom at night so I looked up some that do and Datura was one. It also grows in the county I live in and has a very long history. Just thought it was pretty cool.

Datura belongs to the classic "witches' weeds," along with deadly nightshade, henbane, and mandrake. Most parts of the plants contain toxic hallucinogens, and Datura has a long history of use for causing delirious states and death. It was well known as an essential ingredient of love potions and witches' brews.

Common names include Thorn Apple (from the spiny fruit), Pricklyburr (similarly), Jimson Weed, Moonflower, Hell's Bells, Devil's Weed, Devil's Cucumber, and Devil's Trumpet, (from their large trumpet-shaped flowers). Nathaniel Hawthorne refers to one type in The Scarlet Letter as Apple-Peru. In Mexico, its common name is "Toloache". The word datura comes from the Hindi धतूरा Dhatūrā (thorn apple); record of this name dates back to 1662 (OED). In Tamil it is called "oomathai" (ஊமத்தை). In Oriya it is called "Dudura".

Datura species are food plants for the larvae of some Lepidoptera (butterfly and moth) species including Hypercompe indecisa.
05-18-2010, 11:10 AM
(05-18-2010 08:26 AM)Datura Wrote:  Like a flower in the desert
I will quietly resist

Got me to thinking that usually some of the most fragrant flowers only bloom at night so I looked up some that do and Datura was one. It also grows in the county I live in and has a very long history. Just thought it was pretty cool.

Datura belongs to the classic "witches' weeds," along with deadly nightshade, henbane, and mandrake. Most parts of the plants contain toxic hallucinogens, and Datura has a long history of use for causing delirious states and death. It was well known as an essential ingredient of love potions and witches' brews.

Common names include Thorn Apple (from the spiny fruit), Pricklyburr (similarly), Jimson Weed, Moonflower, Hell's Bells, Devil's Weed, Devil's Cucumber, and Devil's Trumpet, (from their large trumpet-shaped flowers). Nathaniel Hawthorne refers to one type in The Scarlet Letter as Apple-Peru. In Mexico, its common name is "Toloache". The word datura comes from the Hindi धतूरा Dhatūrā (thorn apple); record of this name dates back to 1662 (OED). In Tamil it is called "oomathai" (ஊமத்தை). In Oriya it is called "Dudura".

Datura species are food plants for the larvae of some Lepidoptera (butterfly and moth) species including Hypercompe indecisa.

Very cool!! Thanks for the info! Big Grin
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-18-2010, 12:33 PM
My husband and I have had season tickets to The Arizona Opera for the past 20+ years including the once-in-a-lifetime experience of hearing/seeing Wagner's Ring Cycle in its entirety performed in Northern Arizona so, I came up with valhalla (also mentioned in the song "Totem" from Test for Echo Heart); 66 is for the year I was born.

"Hope is what remains to be seen."- Bubba
05-18-2010, 02:44 PM
I will quietly resist

I like it SmileSmileSmile
05-19-2010, 01:45 PM
My name came from the fact that I play guitar (and love guitars and guitar music), and I am a bit of a mutt as far as lineage and so on. It was the first handle I came up with online, and I've stuck with it ever since pretty much everywhere I go online.
05-19-2010, 09:06 PM (This post was last modified: 05-19-2010 09:39 PM by ePhilosopher9.)
I will quietly resist

Reminds me of the seeds of life, ceasar's palace, morning glory seeds, silly human, silly human race. "Yes" is my second favorite band. Herald the angel's trumpet. Wondering how cool and identifyable the pey-bud would be traveling music from the white sands to the desert lands. Gilligan's Island episode Roomis-e-Gloomis, the purple rimmed fungus among us makes us say MaryAnne thrice like some professor beatleguise identifyable.
I guess that introduction would finally be appropriate. High, I am IdentityCrisis, from the Philosophy and Absurdity realm of the now defunct other internet. What should I say, it's a dating site type of narciscisstic way to sell yourself on a dating profile, gawd. Basically I'm here to coax a meet and greet from my paralelled hero, to feel the strength in his hand, to feel the world expand. And maybe get all of those scribble scratched Tour Books back that were lost in Katrina. For they were only made of paper, and the pages could not be turned. But I'm not really here for anything from anyone, except the ability to write, relive some stress, and associate with some other fanatics of the greatest band evah! But I digress...

I was born in a cross fire hurricane named Betsy, actually still in the womb as a late bloomer. If I am just not being delusional with my 'beautiful mind', the "tail of the peak" speaks to me personally, as well as other notable 'coincidences'. I see the connections in everything, or at least try to see how everything in the universe is linked. Time never stands still long enough to take time to read your vast works. But going back to cover my neglect, i noticed the alligator picture from your past stint thru cajun country. And the "scale" of the work of art leaning into that curve on your bike made me see the double entendre of the meaning of that word as related to the snakes and gators. Bubba really should visit here for an Alligator Sauce Piquant recipe for the Grill. And I agree, that August afternoon was blistering in Texas, but if you can't stand the heat, stay out of the grill? But back to the coincidences. I understand the adept wording of Stupid cancer, because I too lost someone close to me from that wasting disease. Yet the Autumn keeps me Serene. And turning on 40's on the 4 on that very day, as well as being an aspiring writer and a percussionist, allowed me to again see Double entendres and double paradiddles, shows the Danger and Opportunity of holding two contradictory ideas at the same time as a purposeful striving blue paradigms of double agendas.

I started playing drums at age five in the subdivisions of New Orleans, where Mardi Gras parades passed on the corner. Hearing the cadences... no, actually Feeling the martial beats pounding in my heart made drumming intrinsic to me, as the mystic 'second line' rhythms are in the very the beat of my soul.

At 15, I formed my own band, and started playing gigs in bars and nightclubs in New Orleans at that young age, opening or headlining at places where we were too young to be even allowed in otherwise, due to the drinking age. We evolved from covering Beatles and Stones, into power pop and new wave, opening for fringe groups, like the Psychadelic Furs, early RHCP type, pre-Pantera, playing frat parties, CYO's, etc... various and sundry, and then to rock and all variations on a theme thereof, all the time opting for featuring our original songs over the cover songs. We played for the door, and for the sake of art. We were not business saavy then, but of our 150 originals, we had a true dozen songs that could have been put on good old vinyl. We were ripped off by greedy club owners and pathetic agents. But we didn't care, we were doing what we loved.

Long story... i need an intermission.
05-20-2010, 05:02 PM
I'm EN just about everywhere I go...it started with an email account between me and only one person ("just between us..."), became "me" on TRC and other boards, and I really just love the lyrics. The email has since become between me and everybody, but it's still "just between us", a conversation we're having, just like here.

These stories have all been great!
05-20-2010, 05:06 PM
V-Strom because I ride a K4 Suzuki V-Strom DL1000, pretty self explanitory I think!