Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
DIYers
05-13-2010, 05:08 PM
DIYers
Do you do projects around the house? Do you refurbish, reupholster, repurpose, knit, sew, macramé... anything?

I'd love to see your projects! I love to get my hands on items from garage sales or craigslist and have a go at them. I'll post some pictures if people are interested. I'd love for others to share tips, stories, projects or questions.

Shy
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-13-2010, 06:04 PM
RE: DIYers
Does remodeling a 56 year old house count? Tongue

My wife sews and has an embroidery machine that seems to run non-stop. I do the general labour of fixing, remodeling, etc.
05-14-2010, 04:56 AM
I am a bit of a tinker in several different areas. Don't have the time that I used to with a little guy to watch in the evenings while my wife is at work, but it's still fun. I married into a family that owns a hardware store, and that can be dangerous for guys (or girls!) who like tools. Good thing the store is a 12 hour drive away!

-Tim
05-14-2010, 09:41 AM
I do sew. When I was single, I made most of my clothes, including my wedding dress when I did get married. After my kids came along, I made more of their clothes and less of my own. Now I sew mostly pj's for the kids. I would like to sew more, however right now, there isn't as much time as there used to be.

I also make candles once per year, usually as Christmas presents. I'm still working on my creativity with that.

A party without cake is really just a meeting
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-14-2010, 10:17 AM
I tinker with my motorcycle on occasion and when it's required. A buddy of mine and I did some valve adjustments on it last summer which was surprisingly easy. Well, easy because we had a Clymer manual to reference and he had done it before, though I hadn't.

The last DIY project I did for my home was to install some plumbing to create a full bar in my downstairs (this was in a house I owned some years ago, not my current abode).

Now I know why plumbers get big bucks.

I will never, ever try that again. Undecided

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
05-14-2010, 10:50 AM (This post was last modified: 05-14-2010 10:56 AM by Janie.)
(05-13-2010 06:04 PM)ForceTen Wrote:  Does remodeling a 56 year old house count? Tongue

My wife sews and has an embroidery machine that seems to run non-stop. I do the general labour of fixing, remodeling, etc.

OMG! I want one of those machines!! In a bad way. I want a bigger, bitchin' sewing machine and a serger too.

I plan on opening up my own Etsy shop this year and sell some of my sewing projects.
(05-14-2010 04:56 AM)Timmay! Wrote:  I am a bit of a tinker in several different areas. Don't have the time that I used to with a little guy to watch in the evenings while my wife is at work, but it's still fun. I married into a family that owns a hardware store, and that can be dangerous for guys (or girls!) who like tools. Good thing the store is a 12 hour drive away!

-Tim

I love (love) Home Depot. Normal girls love shopping for clothes. I love shopping for hammers and saws and gadgets. Blush
(05-14-2010 09:41 AM)Bageleth Wrote:  I do sew. When I was single, I made most of my clothes, including my wedding dress when I did get married. After my kids came along, I made more of their clothes and less of my own. Now I sew mostly pj's for the kids. I would like to sew more, however right now, there isn't as much time as there used to be.

I also make candles once per year, usually as Christmas presents. I'm still working on my creativity with that.

Homemade gifts rock! When I can, I much prefer to make gifts. Even if they turn out crappy, they mean so much more. That's what I tell myself anyway! Is it easy to make your own candles?
(05-14-2010 10:17 AM)old honda rider Wrote:  I tinker with my motorcycle on occasion and when it's required. A buddy of mine and I did some valve adjustments on it last summer which was surprisingly easy. Well, easy because we had a Clymer manual to reference and he had done it before, though I hadn't.

The last DIY project I did for my home was to install some plumbing to create a full bar in my downstairs (this was in a house I owned some years ago, not my current abode).

I know what you mean, there are some projects better left to the professionals. I would love to put in my own wood fence, extend the concrete patio and completely re-do my bathroom but I think all those things should probably be done by someone else. I find I have a hard time trusting contractors though.
05-14-2010, 11:01 AM
(05-14-2010 10:50 AM)Janie Wrote:  
(05-13-2010 06:04 PM)ForceTen Wrote:  Does remodeling a 56 year old house count? Tongue

OMG! I want one of those machines!! In a bad way. I want a bigger, bitchin' sewing machine and a serger too.

I plan on opening up my own Etsy shop this year and sell some of my sewing projects.
(05-14-2010 04:56 AM)Timmay! Wrote:  I am a bit of a tinker in several different areas. Don't have the time that I used to with a little guy to watch in the evenings while my wife is at work, but it's still fun. I married into a family that owns a hardware store, and that can be dangerous for guys (or girls!) who like tools. Good thing the store is a 12 hour drive away!

-Tim

I love (love) Home Depot. Normal girls love shopping for clothes. I love shopping for hammers and saws and gadgets. Blush
(05-14-2010 09:41 AM)Bageleth Wrote:  I do sew. When I was single, I made most of my clothes, including my wedding dress when I did get married. After my kids came along, I made more of their clothes and less of my own. Now I sew mostly pj's for the kids. I would like to sew more, however right now, there isn't as much time as there used to be.

Homemade gifts rock! When I can, I much prefer to make gifts. Even if they turn out crappy, they mean so much more. That's what I tell myself anyway! Is it easy to make your own candles?
(05-14-2010 10:17 AM)old honda rider Wrote:  I tinker with my motorcycle on occasion and when it's required. A buddy of mine and I did some valve adjustments on it last summer which was surprisingly easy. Well, easy because we had a Clymer manual to reference and he had done it before, though I hadn't.

I know what you mean, there are some projects better left to the professionals. I would love to put in my own wood fence, extend the concrete patio and completely re-do my bathroom but I think all those things should probably be done by someone else. I find I have a hard time trusting contractors though.

My grandma seems to really like the home made gifts (and she loves candles). The candles aren't really hard to make. Just make sure that you are using a pot and cutting tools that you don't ever plan to use for food because wax is a bit time consuming. Any craft store should have books and supplies. Currently I go to a ceramic supply store that also sells the supplies I need for a lower price. Something that I'm still working on is candle scents. Even though I put the scent in the melted wax, and you can smell the candle, burning it doesn't give off that scent (which for most is the reason we burn candles)

A party without cake is really just a meeting
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-14-2010, 11:53 AM
(05-14-2010 11:01 AM)Bageleth Wrote:  OMG! I want one of those machines!! In a bad way. I want a bigger, bitchin' sewing machine and a serger too.

When I get home, I can list the model she has. I know it's a Husqvarna/Viking. Platinum series I think. She has Husqvarna/Viking sewing and serger machines too.

We're looking at getting something set up for her as well online. Right now, she does things via word of mouth and does pretty well with it. I'll post some pics later on too if you like.

Quote:I love (love) Home Depot. Normal girls love shopping for clothes. I love shopping for hammers and saws and gadgets. Blush
Oh, a girl that loves tools, tools stores, etc.! Are you married? Wink LOL j/k

As to home remodeling. Various tasks aren't that difficult. I've gutted and remodeled 3/4 of our house and have only had a couple of people do work that I couldn't due to legal reasons(gas lines), or I just didn't want to (reroofing, hardwood floors, drain tile, sheetrocking stairwell). Otherwise, I've done pretty much everything.
But, I do other things as well such as some woodworking (made a few picture frames, sword hangers, etc), maintaining my own vehicles when I have time, maintaining motorcycles, etc.

As Red Green says, "If she doesn't find you handsome, at least let her find you handy." or something like that... Tongue
05-17-2010, 09:48 AM
(05-14-2010 11:53 AM)ForceTen Wrote:  We're looking at getting something set up for her as well online. Right now, she does things via word of mouth and does pretty well with it. I'll post some pics later on too if you like.
I’d love to see some pics of her projects! A good friend of mine just opened an Etsy shop to sell her jewelry and she is really happy with that site. I love to peruse the items people are selling. Some people are so creative.

Quote:
Quote:I love (love) Home Depot. Normal girls love shopping for clothes. I love shopping for hammers and saws and gadgets. Blush
Oh, a girl that loves tools, tools stores, etc.! Are you married? Wink LOL j/k
HA! My husband hates all things chore related, especially when it comes to home repairs. I’ve taught myself how to do simple things around the house. I don’t mind one bit. I think it’s interesting to learn how to fix things. I almost had a geek attack when I was at Home Depot once buying a ball peen hammer. The other day when I was there I bought a nail sinker.

Quote:As to home remodeling. Various tasks aren't that difficult. I've gutted and remodeled 3/4 of our house and have only had a couple of people do work that I couldn't due to legal reasons(gas lines), or I just didn't want to (reroofing, hardwood floors, drain tile, sheetrocking stairwell). Otherwise, I've done pretty much everything.
But, I do other things as well such as some woodworking (made a few picture frames, sword hangers, etc), maintaining my own vehicles when I have time, maintaining motorcycles, etc.
Do you have any experience about removing a sprinkler system? Seems like it should be relatively easy. We have a system all around our house but our side and back yard sees hardly any sun. I really don’t need to be watering the moss that grows out of control in those areas. I was contemplating installing a wood fence but decided on having professionals install one. I got three quotes and they are all roughly the same. I wasn’t too shocked by the price. Thought it was pretty reasonable and honestly, I don’t really want to install a fence myself!
05-17-2010, 10:15 AM
(05-17-2010 09:48 AM)Janie Wrote:  I'd love to see some pics of her projects! A good friend of mine just opened an Etsy shop to sell her jewelry and she is really happy with that site. I love to peruse the items people are selling. Some people are so creative.

Let me see what I can find for some pictures. She's mostly done baby blankets, costumes and alterations for pictures.

Quote:HA! My husband hates all things chore related, especially when it comes to home repairs. I've taught myself how to do simple things around the house. I don't mind one bit. I think it's interesting to learn how to fix things. I almost had a geek attack when I was at Home Depot once buying a ball peen hammer. The other day when I was there I bought a nail sinker.

Good for you! I always say "Knowledge is power. Even if you don't know how to do something, learn the concepts of it so you're not taken advantage of if/when you hire out."

Countersinks (what you bought) are great little things to have when doing trim work, etc. But, I've since learned that having a good brad/nail gun is invaluable. What used to take me two hours of work to do trim work, I'm now able to do in about 30 minutes. Of course, having good tools and the right ones for the job helps out significantly.

Quote:Do you have any experience about removing a sprinkler system? Seems like it should be relatively easy. We have a system all around our house but our side and back yard sees hardly any sun. I really don't need to be watering the moss that grows out of control in those areas. I was contemplating installing a wood fence but decided on having professionals install one. I got three quotes and they are all roughly the same. I wasn't too shocked by the price. Thought it was pretty reasonable and honestly, I don't really want to install a fence myself!

Sorry, haven't worked with a sprinkler system yet. But, it shouldn't be too bad. What you might want to consider is instead of removing a portion of it, see about capping it off in the area you want to skip. it would save you a lot of work and you'd only have to dig one or two holes instead of tearing it out. Also, if you happen to sell the house or get the moss under control (look into shade grass), it wouldn't be as much to repair/replace it.

Doing a wood fence isn't that difficult. but, you definitely need more than one person. Ask bidding companies to provide samples of new and see if you can get pictures of fences after a couple of years. Some don't build it properly to allow for water drainage as well as strength. Over a couple of years, the water soaks into the wood and will cause the fence to warp/sag and begin to look bad. I'm assuming you're talking about a wood privacy fence and not a two rail wooden fence?