Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Favorite Knives?
04-12-2011, 02:56 PM
RE: Favorite Knives?
I think the most important first step when buying a knife is to handle as many brands as you can. This kitchen tool is in your hand more than most and I think it's important to find one that balances well and feels good in YOUR hand. I tried Wusthof, Henckel, and Shun, ultimately ending up with the Wusthof because it felt better in my hand.

Because I didn't have gobs of money to spend, I decided to spend as much as I could on as few knives as possible - quality over quantity. I got a 7" Santoku, Paring knife, and a 5" utility knife. I'm able to accomplish 90% of what I need with those 3 knives.

Last but not least, learn how to sharpen your own knives; there's plenty of good Youtube videos on the subject. A dull knife is far more dangerous than a sharp one.

I jumped the cliff with a dream to fly
Without knowing the weight of feathers
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-18-2011, 06:35 PM
My mom gave me a 7" and a 5" Santoku, both Calphalon, for Xmas two years ago. Best knives I've ever used. Perfect balance. I use them for just about everything. They make quick work of any kind of chopping or slicing. I have a sharpener that is basically a handle with two criss-crossed sharpening thingies that is a must.

"Wine is bottled poetry."
Robert Louis Stevenson
07-22-2012, 05:50 PM
...not these. Big Grin

[Image: engrish-funny-nice-floral-pattern-but-th...ion-is.png]

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
07-22-2012, 07:36 PM
(07-22-2012 05:50 PM)East New York Wrote:  ...not these. Big Grin

[Image: engrish-funny-nice-floral-pattern-but-th...ion-is.png]

Cute knifes and I love your moto on cats... I am owned entirely by 6 cats.
04-21-2013, 02:18 PM
wusthof chef's knife

rada tomato knife
11-08-2013, 08:25 PM
I just got myself a couple good knives after so long looking.
An 8" chef's knife and 10"butchers. Both by R. Murphy.
I hadn't heard of these guys, but I was at an oyster festival (of all things) and they had a display in vendor's row.
Most of what they had out was oyster and clam knives, but they had some of their kitchen models out as well. From the
first minute picking it up, I was struck by how well balanced they are, and how confortable the handles. The blades are carbon steel, which takes a little more care and handling than stainless, but they reputedly will take and hold an edge better.
Best part the chef's was under $100, and the butcher's was $40 (on sale / discontinued.)
I'm extremely happy with my purchases so far, and look for chances to use them. Smile
11-08-2013, 09:05 PM
What's the best way to maintain good carbon knives?

A friend brought me a neato carbon pocket katana from Japan. I used it once to slice a peach, didn't clean it properly and now I have a permanently etched blade. I've since taken to applying a thin coat of eevo after use, but I know that's probably a bit of a neanderthal solution.

To ask why we cook is to ask why the leaves fall...
11-12-2013, 12:21 PM
I have a new Shun and I am so impressed with it. That "folded" steel blade is so beautiful and it works extremely well.

"I don't cook; I prepare things." My late brother Bill
11-14-2013, 12:40 PM
(11-12-2013 12:21 PM)Nung Wrote:  I have a new Shun and I am so impressed with it. That "folded" steel blade is so beautiful and it works extremely well.

I was looking at the Shun - that would have been my first choice if I hadn't found these Murphys.
Sunset: R. Murphy has a page on their site about how to take care of them; I would presume it applies to all carbon steel blades.
Basically it comes down to washing and drying it (by hand; don't put it in the dishwasher) as soon as possible after using it. It will eventually darken over time; the patina. They also recommend occasionally wiping it down with food-grade mineral oil.
http://www.rmurphyknives.com/store/care.html
11-14-2013, 12:49 PM
Good advice; especially, I think hand-washing is the only way.

I think dishwashers are perfect (for ruining everything that goes into them)!

"I don't cook; I prepare things." My late brother Bill