Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Where to go. What to see. Eat drink and make merry.
05-17-2010, 06:37 PM
Where to go. What to see. Eat drink and make merry.
I'm thinking that with a certain band about to hit the road it might be nice to give folks the opportunity to show off the towns and cities they live in. I know that many fans take in two or more shows and turn the event into a road trip. That being said the people from out of town may not know their way around a city that is new to them. Where are good places to stay and eat? Interesting sites that may be of interest to them? If you have some information to pass on please start a new thread with simply the name of the city you wish to comment on. Please make sure that a new thread has not already been started in that city name. Drive safely amigos y amigas.

Sacred cows make the best hamburgers.

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughtnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, 'Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".'
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-18-2010, 08:59 AM
RE: Where to go. What to see. Eat drink and make merry.
We are hoping to go to the show (it'll be the first time I will be going to one) in Washington, near Seattle, so any advice about that area would be welcome to us.

A party without cake is really just a meeting
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-19-2010, 12:21 AM (This post was last modified: 05-19-2010 12:44 AM by Neilbubbachuck.)
Hey folks. Anyone going to the Syracuse show? I live about 50 minutes south of there. A great place to eat up in syracuse is the Dinosaur bar-b-que. Its a must. This would be my first pick for sure.
dinosaurbarbque.com check it out.

Then a distant second place but still great would be the Spaghetti Warehouse.

As far as shows go, I am currently set for Saratoga springs, Wantagh, Syracuse and I am hopeful to be at the Tampa show.
(05-18-2010 08:59 AM)Bageleth Wrote:  We are hoping to go to the show (it'll be the first time I will be going to one) in Washington, near Seattle, so any advice about that area would be welcome to us.
bro; sorry dont know that area. But ohhh man! you are in for the best time. seriously. epic beyond epic beyond epic. even sitting out in left field its epic. I am happy for you.

Don't talk smack about Total!!
05-19-2010, 11:23 PM (This post was last modified: 05-19-2010 11:32 PM by ePhilosopher9.)
(05-17-2010 06:37 PM)Brutus Wrote:  I'm thinking that with a certain band about to hit the road it might be nice to give folks the opportunity to show off the towns and cities they live in. I know that many fans take in two or more shows and turn the event into a road trip. That being said the people from out of town may not know their way around a city that is new to them. Where are good places to stay and eat? Interesting sites that may be of interest to them? If you have some information to pass on please start a new thread with simply the name of the city you wish to comment on. Please make sure that a new thread has not already been started in that city name. Drive safely amigos y amigas.

Very Good, Brutus. We'll be in the SW for the first time, and since the earlier Albuquerque thread answer about Fusion SOS is closed on mondays, what is there to do and eat there? Monday night red-eyes and Isleta makes me want to wake up and bake up a brand new Tuesday in some breakfast suggestion or some luncheonette. 505Fusion will prolly be too late to hear the always anticipated sound-check from outside the venue, so why hurry things as great as dinner?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-20-2010, 09:09 AM
(05-17-2010 06:37 PM)Brutus Wrote:  I'm thinking that with a certain band about to hit the road it might be nice to give folks the opportunity to show off the towns and cities they live in. I know that many fans take in two or more shows and turn the event into a road trip. That being said the people from out of town may not know their way around a city that is new to them. Where are good places to stay and eat? Interesting sites that may be of interest to them? If you have some information to pass on please start a new thread with simply the name of the city you wish to comment on. Please make sure that a new thread has not already been started in that city name. Drive safely amigos y amigas.

Thank you for this Brutus! I have a friend from Edmonton Alberta, who only has 5% of his vision left and his kidneys are close to failure, so we are doing a road trip. This may be his last chance to see his favorite band. We have the 2 Red Rocks shows and then we will drive to Kansas, Missouri, Omaha and then back home to Denver.
I would greatly appreciate information on hotels, food, etc. for Kansas, Missouri and Omaha. The best info comes from the locals that know the area.
Thanks
05-20-2010, 09:48 AM
Sorry to hear about your friend's condition. Ironic too in that I am in Edmonchuck myself at the moment for a little while. My hopes go out to you all for a wonderful trip and hopefully others will be able to supply the inside info you need to make it even better.

Sacred cows make the best hamburgers.

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughtnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, 'Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".'
05-20-2010, 03:21 PM
Well, the place I'm about to discuss isn't terribly off the beaten track. It's basically in Toronto, so it's very possible that Alex, Geddy, Neil and Brutus may already know of it. But anyway...

For the past week or so I've had this irresistible urge for dolmas. They're little appetizers of rice, tomatoes and other good stuff wrapped in an olive-oil infused grape leaf.

[Image: dolmas+plate.jpg]

They're exquisite. *urp*

Anyway, to satisfy the craving I made arrangements to meet a special ladyfriend at a place called The Istanbul Grill on Keele Street at Hwy 7 in Vaughan (just north of Toronto). It was not busy at all, in fact just her and I were the only customers for a while.

We ordered a plate of dolmas and lamb shisk-ke-bab. The dolmas came almost immediately, as did freshly baked pita breads and a special dip the owner called pindjur, something that was new to myself and my partner. If you can imagine a roasted red pepper dip, it looked somewhat like that but it was much tastier.

We got chatting with Nick, the proprietor, a garrulous Turkish fellow with a quick laugh and a thick accent. He told us of his travels through the country ("I went to Vancouver to get a girlfriend, found one, she dumped me, then I went to Calgary to get a girlfriend, found one..."[etc etc until he reached St Johns]), a bit about his family and just general conversation.

It's often been said that the quality of the meal is less in the food than it is in the company, and I count myself fortunate for having enchanting dinner company and meeting Nick.

I will go back. It's not an 'if' it's a 'when.'

Total for the dolmas, three beers, lamb shish-ke-bab and one baklava split between milady and I, plus 20% tip, came to just over $80.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
05-20-2010, 05:46 PM
(05-20-2010 09:48 AM)Brutus Wrote:  Sorry to hear about your friend's condition. Ironic too in that I am in Edmonchuck myself at the moment for a little while. My hopes go out to you all for a wonderful trip and hopefully others will be able to supply the inside info you need to make it even better.

Thank you Brutus! We are calling this the lame and lamer road trip. Tongue I am disabled with 5 herniated discs in my neck and I have a blind guy as my navigator. The trip should be great and I really want to do this for him. Hope to meet some of you on the road.
05-20-2010, 06:33 PM
(05-18-2010 08:59 AM)Bageleth Wrote:  We are hoping to go to the show (it'll be the first time I will be going to one) in Washington, near Seattle, so any advice about that area would be welcome to us.
We'll be at the White River Amph show too. We haven't been to any shows there, so I second your request for advice.
05-21-2010, 10:51 AM (This post was last modified: 05-22-2010 05:35 PM by Mufasa.)
I would greatly appreciate information on hotels, food, etc. for Kansas, Missouri and Omaha. The best info comes from the locals that know the area.
Thanks
[/quote]

Diva, I'm an "alien local from the southeast coast"... does that count??
For Wichita, KS. see below. Don't hesitate to ask if there is anything I can help you with.
There are lots of suite-type motels in the area. I suggest Googling Wichita -Old Town or business district motels.
There is also a Hyatt right on the river front... which is walkable to the arena.

River City Brewery / Old Town / 5 mins from the arena.
http://rivercitybrewingco.com/
Good, cheap, close by.

Bela Luna (my fav) East side & West side / Mediterranean fare.
Inexpensive / very good stuff
http://www.bellalunacafe.com/home.html

Bonefish Grill / East side / Great food - decent prices: Spinach Bacon Gorgonzola Pacific Swordfish... Giant Pad Thai Shrimp.... Ahrrrrrrrr!
Great Martinis too!
http://www.bonefishgrill.com/locator/det...ta-kansas/

Also: There is the Museum of World Treasures / Old Town. Very cool
http://www.worldtreasures.org/

Wichita Art Museum:
http://wichitaartmuseum.org/

Wichita Historical: Very cool building and exhibits / Old Town
http://www.wichitahistory.org/

Exploration Place / Old Town (on the river) More of a kids place, but it is huge and there is always some sort of "special" activity going on there.
At the moment it is a mummy exhibit.
http://www.exploration.org/

Most of us are so caught up in life that we forget to live it.