Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Where to go. What to see. Eat drink and make merry.
05-24-2010, 09:43 AM
RE: Where to go. What to see. Eat drink and make merry.
(05-21-2010 10:51 AM)Mufasa Wrote:  I would greatly appreciate information on hotels, food, etc. for Kansas, Missouri and Omaha. The best info comes from the locals that know the area.
Thanks

Diva, I'm an "alien local from the southeast coast"... does that count??
For Wichita, KS. see below. Don't hesitate to ask if there is anything I can help you with.
There are lots of suite-type motels in the area. I suggest Googling Wichita -Old Town or business district motels.
There is also a Hyatt right on the river front... which is walkable to the arena.

River City Brewery / Old Town / 5 mins from the arena.
http://rivercitybrewingco.com/
Good, cheap, close by.

Bela Luna (my fav) East side & West side / Mediterranean fare.
Inexpensive / very good stuff
http://www.bellalunacafe.com/home.html

Bonefish Grill / East side / Great food - decent prices: Spinach Bacon Gorgonzola Pacific Swordfish... Giant Pad Thai Shrimp.... Ahrrrrrrrr!
Great Martinis too!
http://www.bonefishgrill.com/locator/det...ta-kansas/

Also: There is the Museum of World Treasures / Old Town. Very cool
http://www.worldtreasures.org/

Wichita Art Museum:
http://wichitaartmuseum.org/

Wichita Historical: Very cool building and exhibits / Old Town
http://www.wichitahistory.org/

Exploration Place / Old Town (on the river) More of a kids place, but it is huge and there is always some sort of "special" activity going on there.
At the moment it is a mummy exhibit.
http://www.exploration.org/
[/quote]
Thank you so much Mufasa for the info and the links!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-24-2010, 06:56 PM
(05-20-2010 06:33 PM)Entre Nous Wrote:  
(05-18-2010 08:59 AM)Bageleth Wrote:  We are hoping to go to the show (it'll be the first time I will be going to one) in Washington, near Seattle, so any advice about that area would be welcome to us.
We'll be at the White River Amph show too. We haven't been to any shows there, so I second your request for advice.

Leave early, the traffic getting there is hell! Great venue though, I am looking forward to it very much.
06-27-2010, 08:51 AM
As things warm up to opening day I wondered who named Albuquerque and why it was nicknamed Duke City. I came across this humerous explanation. But I'm still wondering what the real answer might be.

http://www.dukecityfix.com/profiles/blog...-real-true

Sacred cows make the best hamburgers.

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughtnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, 'Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".'
06-30-2010, 12:17 PM (This post was last modified: 06-30-2010 12:23 PM by Laffitupfzbl.)
If you're driving South on I55 after the Chicago show, stop off in a little town called Dwight and eat at Pete's. It's a fairly unremarkable 24 hour family restaurant serving the hungry masses on the interstate, except for one thing: The menu is FLIPPING HUGE! It's like 5 solid pages, packed full of options. Of course breakfast 24/7, but there is also an entire Greek menu, all types of other international dishes (notably, a small Asian cuisine section) and all the Americana fare you'd like. I won't lie, the food is kind of bland and doesn't really stand out from any other diner, but it's astonishing to be able to get really just about ANYTHING you might be craving at one place. I once ate a cheese quesadilla, mashed potatoes, lamb-ka-bobs, and cherry cobbler for dessert in one sitting. Ok, the pants came undone under the table, and thank god for the long shirt. But it was oddly satisfying, despite gorging myself.

And if you're traveling even further south on I55, keep going to Litchfield, IL, where you'll find the Ariston Cafe. I'd recommend going at off hours, or going early to the brunch because it's a little place and fills up quickly. It's an original Route 66 joint, and attracts legions of 66'ers every day of the week. We once saw a group of Germans who came to the US just to ride Harleys all the way down Route 66, who were all but peeing themselves just to be in there. Which is pretty cool, but if you get there about brunch time on a Sunday, you will find about the worlds best brunch buffet ever. It's not huge, but every dish laid out is simply the freshest, tastiest version of itself to ever grace a table. The menu food is pretty good, but for some reason, the buffet food just blows it away. It's like there is a regular chef, who's pretty darned good, making the menu food. Then there is a separate buffet chef who is using gods calphalon to cook everything. And we've been there multiple times, attempting to time our returns from the South to Peoria to hit the brunch whenever possible. So it's not an anomaly. Just seriously good brunch. One of those things that makes like well worth living.
06-30-2010, 08:41 PM
Not sure about other parts, but here in Massachusetts, Cape Cod is a nice area to visit... at least when The Boys are going to be around here. Post Labor Day and During the week is good times for travel on 2 wheels out there.
07-03-2010, 07:57 AM (This post was last modified: 07-03-2010 07:58 AM by Datura.)
(06-30-2010 12:17 PM)Laffitupfzbl Wrote:  If you're driving South on I55 after the Chicago show, stop off in a little town called Dwight and eat at Pete's. It's a fairly unremarkable 24 hour family restaurant serving the hungry masses on the interstate, except for one thing: The menu is FLIPPING HUGE! It's like 5 solid pages, packed full of options. Of course breakfast 24/7, but there is also an entire Greek menu, all types of other international dishes (notably, a small Asian cuisine section) and all the Americana fare you'd like. I won't lie, the food is kind of bland and doesn't really stand out from any other diner, but it's astonishing to be able to get really just about ANYTHING you might be craving at one place. I once ate a cheese quesadilla, mashed potatoes, lamb-ka-bobs, and cherry cobbler for dessert in one sitting. Ok, the pants came undone under the table, and thank god for the long shirt. But it was oddly satisfying, despite gorging myself.

I live about 25 minutes due east of Dwight and have never ate there nor have I ever heard of it. Now that you posted that I will have to try it sometime.

Edited to say, There was a tornado there last month and Dwight took some fair amount of damage. Wonder if they got hit.
07-04-2010, 07:46 AM
(06-27-2010 08:51 AM)Brutus Wrote:  As things warm up to opening day I wondered who named Albuquerque and why it was nicknamed Duke City. I came across this humerous explanation. But I'm still wondering what the real answer might be.

http://www.dukecityfix.com/profiles/blog...-real-true

Just arriving home from Albuquerque and my vacation tour of the great state of New Mexico! What a fabulous place, and I thank everyone there for their great hospitality, which made our journey to the land of enchantment one for the memory banks. I'm not sure of how Albuquerque got it's name, perhaps the oak tree with worn pigeon chips on it's shoulder is a memory of some mistranslated phrase. Albumen = White, for sure, but the Quirky part, I believe, is the notion that the Sands were not sand at all, but Gypsum! Their caravans must have wagon wheeled thru these sands of time like the cogs of a watchmaker's dream. More on my travelogue later, but I must say that to me, on July 29th, the characters on the screen behind Leave That Thing Alone looked strikingly similar to versions of Kokopelli dancing thru time!

I truly enjoyed it, Amigeauxs!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-24-2010, 04:12 PM
Maybe too late for this but if you are driving from denver to omaha and the timing is right swing into Paxton, Nebraska just off of I-80 and stop into Ole's. Fun place. When in Omaha there are lot's of good places to eat: Gorat's, Brother Sebastions, Johnny's Steakhouse for higher end steakhouses plus many more. For fun places: Spaghetti Works in the Old Market, Millard Roadhouse, Petrows. Out of the way a little in Council Bluffs is Pizza King, and if you want a good carp sandwich there is Mo Fish in C.B. Crescent IA has The Crescent Bar, Henry's Diner and The Pink Poodle.
08-24-2010, 06:05 PM
Oops! Knew better than to post things from memory. Had the tour stops out of order in my head. Coming from St. Louis to Omaha. Not that well versed in the eating establishments except for a few BBQ places in KC although do not remember the names. But do remember they were "all" very good BBQ.

Other than "eats" when you get to the Omaha area. The Durham Museum is pretty cool old UP train station. In Counicl Bluffs the old library has been converted to a Railroad Museum. For the reading buff check out the new Council Bluffs library. Pretty cool "Teen Room" upstairs. For the "Riders" in the group. Old Lincoln hiway going north out of Council Bluffs (IA 183) runs along the edge of the Loess hills and is a lot more scenic than the freeways. Old hiway 375 going south out of Council Bluffs to Glenwood is not long but is a fun curvy/hilly road to drive either on two or four wheels.

Hope you like your stay in the area.
08-24-2010, 06:40 PM
Mr B I know this may not be EXACTLY what you had in mind, but I gotta spill the beans.Cool

The Minneapolis show is Friday and I have been waiting for 31 years, two unused concert tickets, two daughters, and 25 years of marriage to finally see the boys! If anyone sees a red pickup truck travelling north on I-35 at about MACH 2.3, its just me trying to get to the show. My wife, the loving woman she is, will be shopping in a mad frenzy at Mall of America while I am at the show. Spending my money. Without supervision. GULP!Exclamation

To that end, I have been to Minneapolis St Paul before, and I am trying to find out if there is still a diner over by The Childrens Hospital in St Paul? Force Ten didnt know much about it, but if it is still open, and you like those kinds of places, I had a cajun style skillet breakfast that was incredible a number of years ago. I thought it was called the Downtowner Cafe, but that search didnt yield much. Our plan is to start at the hospital and retrace our steps. Hopefully we can find it again. I can tell you when I was there - there were six squad cars parked in front, and knowing how those guys eat, it was a sign to us it had to be good eats.

I hope this isnt too inappropriate Mr B.Big Grin

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user