Quote this message in a reply
12-22-2010, 08:34 AM
RE: Cookies
MUST HAVE COOOOOOKKKKIEEEE!!!!

Pass the milk - lets get busy!

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-23-2010, 12:09 AM (This post was last modified: 12-23-2010 12:20 AM by RN-PRN.)
Here are some of the recipies I use over the holiday's for cookies.

Mexican Swizzle Sticks

Beat together:
1 C butter
2/3 C sugar
3 egg yolks
2 squares baking chocolate(unsweetened-melted)

add:
2 1/2 C flour
2 tsp cinnamon....sift flour and cinnamon together

Mix well. Using a star cookie press make a stick about 3 inches long.
Bake 350-375 degree F oven for 9-10 minutes

Frost with:
Melt together:
2 squares unsweetened baking chocolate
2 tsp butter

add:
2 C confectioner's sugar
milk - enough to make a thin icing. Drizzle on top of baked cookies and trim with nuts, coconut or other trims (non-pariels)

Molasses Crinkles...this one is from my Mom and her mom. I really don't know how far back it goes. Smile

3/4 C soft shortening
1 C brown sugar
1 egg
1/4 C molasses

Sift together and stir in:
2 1/4 C flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger

Chill dough, roll into balls. Roll in granulated sugar. Place on cookie sheet. Sprinkle with 2-3 drops of water to produce a crackled surface.

Bake at 375 degrees F for 12-14 minutes.
Cream cheese cut-outs

This is a recipe my husband's grandmother used to make. I like them better than sugar cookies.

8 ounces of cream cheese
1 C powdered sugar
3/4 C butter
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 C flour
1/2 tsp baking soda

Beat cream cheese, sugar, butter, and vanilla with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Add flour and baking soda. Mix well.
Refrigerate for one hour.

Roll out and use favorite cookie cutters. Bake at 325 degree F oven until the edges are very light brown. Frost with simple powder sugar icing and sprinkles.
Find all posts by this user
12-23-2010, 12:25 AM (This post was last modified: 12-23-2010 12:28 AM by Nettie.)
RN, are the swizzle sticks anything like churros?
That molasses cookie recipe looks very familiar, like my mom's! So it must be very old. She got it from her mom as well.

12-23-2010, 12:33 AM (This post was last modified: 12-23-2010 01:10 AM by RN-PRN.)
Triple Chocolate Biscotti

2 C toasted hazel nuts
2 2/3 C flour
1 C dutched processed cocoa
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 salt
2 C sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp instant espresso powder
3/4 C chocolate chips
5 large eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 bag white chocolate chips

Mix flour, cocoa, soda, salt, sugar, espresso, nuts, chocolate chips in large bowl. In another bowl, mix eggs and vanilla to break up eggs. Add egg mix to dry mixture and mix until just blended. It will be thick and sticky. Spoon on cookie sheet lined with parchment to form a log. The dough will spread and approximately double in width. I make 4 (2 on each pan) logs. Bake at 325 degrees 35-45 minutes. Cool 10 minutes out of the oven, slice as thick as you want, usually 1/2 to 3/4 inch. Set aside if need to bake the rest of the logs. When logs are done baking, turn oven down to 300 degrees, stand biscotti up on parchment lined cookie sheet and re-bake for 35-45 minutes to dry them out. Cool. Melt white chocolate in double boiler or in microwave and directed on package. Spread on bottom or biscotti, dip in half of biscotti or drizzle or the top of them. Place back on parchment to harden. (I have placed them in the freezer for a few minutes to harden the chocolate when I don't have time).
(12-23-2010 12:25 AM)nettiesaur Wrote:  RN, are the swizzle sticks anything like churros?
That molasses cookie recipe looks very familiar, like my mom's! So it must be very old. She got it from her mom as well.

No, churros are more of a fried dough.

These were my favorite and have become my kids favorite. They are a drier and not really sweet cookie. The frosting sweetens them up.
Chrusciki - Polish Angel Wing's

This is my Mom's recipe, also. I do not know how far back it goes.

6 egg yolks plus 6 whole eggs
1/2 C sugar
1/2 C sour cream
1/2 C oil
1 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla
1/3 C triple sec or liquor (optional)

Beat together. Add enough flour to make a very stiff dough. Chill, roll out, cut into rectangles. Make a slit in the middle and put the corner through the slit, pull part of way through. Deep fry till light brown. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
This was in another thread...thought I might place it here as well.

Orange Delight Cookies

1 C butter
1 1/2 C brown sugar
2 eggs
1/2 sour cream or 1/2 + 1/2 (I use the half and half)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3 C flour
1 1/2 orange rind

Mix and drop from spoon. Bake at 375 degrees.
Frost with orange frosting.
2 tsp melted butter
2 C confectioners sugar
1 tsp grated orange rind
orange juice - enough to make a consistency to brush on top with a pastry brush.
I use fresh squeezed OJ - usually from the orange I grated the rind off of.

They are soft and very tasty. They are usually the first to go on a platter of cookies.
12-23-2010, 06:20 AM
Chrusciki - Yuuummmm....

I eat, therefor I am.

2011 Ironman Lake Placid - Finisher
12-23-2010, 10:07 AM
RN-PRN your Chrusciki are similar to the Norwegian Fattigmand Bakkels(poor man's cake) that I would help my maternal Grandmother make. There are a few different ingredients in our recipe, and our dough had to be rolled out paper thin before cutting into rectangle shapes with a tiny slit in 2 corners and the ends pulled thru the slits.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
12-23-2010, 01:28 PM
Cookies for Santa, Cookies for Santa...

Here are some of the Gingersnap and Sugar Cookies decorated by my (sigh) free-spirited daughter (aka-- sugar junkie when it comes to adding sprinkles) that we did the other night.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
12-23-2010, 07:10 PM
Hey - what does "dutched processed cocoa" mean?

Most of us are so caught up in life that we forget to live it.
12-23-2010, 07:20 PM
(12-23-2010 07:10 PM)Mufasa Wrote:  Hey - what does "dutched processed cocoa" mean?

Dutch-Process Cocoa or Alkalized Unsweetened Cocoa Powder:

Has been treated with an alkali to neutralize its natural acidity. Because it is neutral and does not react with baking soda, it must be used in recipes calling for baking powder, unless there are other acidic ingredients in sufficient quantities used. It has a reddish-brown color, mild flavor, and is easy to dissolve in liquids.