Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Milwaukee, Wisconsin (July 3rd :Summerfest)
05-22-2010, 08:08 AM (This post was last modified: 05-29-2010 09:05 PM by Nettie.)
Lightbulb Milwaukee, Wisconsin (July 3rd :Summerfest)
The show is going to be at the Summerfest grounds, which have a wide assortment of food and beverages, from Sabor(Brazilian food), Botanas(Mexican), Wong's Wok(Chinese), to barbeque(Saz's).
These are all local restaurants or national chains operating on the grounds for the length of the festival. Saz's, Botanas, Sabor, Wong's Wok, and the Charcol Grill are among my favorite restaurants. Warning, Sabor is expensive, but worth every bite.

Go to the Summerfest site and check out it out Summerfest Website. If you click into the food area, you can click on each individual area and find out not only all of the restaurants in the area, but what they are serving.

Entertainment is the name of the game at Summerfest. There are music stages all over the grounds, a children's area and children's stage, a sport's area, a waterfront show, and roving entertainers. All of this is on the website.

However, July 3rd is bonkers at the grounds because the of the "Fourth of July" fireworks show that is staged right on the lake not far from the grounds. If you are staying at a hotel downtown, leave the rental car there and take the bus. The routes are on the Summerfest site. If you are going to drive, buy a parking pass! You can get one on the Summerfest site. Parking fills up fast. Be prepared to spend some time in traffic, waiting to get into the lot. Also, be prepared to wait an hour or more to get out of the lot after the show. The Fireworks traffic will be competing with Summerfest traffic and it will be slow going.

Where to stay? Downtown if you can, then you won't have to deal with traffic the day of the show.
Beware of the places out on Hwy 100, especially the older hotels. Some are not nice, or in nice neighborhoods. If you are considering one, and can't find reviews, send me a message, and I'll let you know if it's in a good area.

If you're going to be in town longer than a day, check out:
Milwaukee Public Museum: it also has an Imax theater, a living butterfly exhibit, and soon,(in the fall I believe) a live frog exhibit.http://www.mpm.edu/

Milwaukee Art Museum: With Calatrava wing, it's a stunning piece of architecture, and the exhibits inside are great too.http://www.mam.org/

Harley Davidson Museum: for all you riders, Harley or not.
If you have little ones, Betty Brinn is a hands on place for those under six.http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/Conte...cale=en_US

Mayfair Mall is a good place to shop.http://www.mayfairmall.com/

If you want to see something stunning, but not a museum, check out The Basillica of St. Josephat, http://www.thebasilica.org/index_.asp
on 6th and Lincoln. I go there for church occaisionally, but the place is covered with art from floor to ceiling. Incredible. There's a noon mass on Sunday, very doable after a night at Summerfest.

You motorcyclists might want to head out to Holy Hill http://www.holyhill.com/basilica . Yeah, another church, but the ride up is what it's all about, and there's another Basillica at the top of the hill, just recently redone. Go to the top of the tower if you can. The view is spectacular.

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-23-2010, 06:35 AM (This post was last modified: 05-29-2010 10:20 PM by Brutus.)
RE: Milwaukee, Wisconsin (July 3rd :Summerfest)
Oh, thanks for reminding me, we have the Black Holocaust Museum too.
1 idiot does not equal the whole town.

05-29-2010, 03:49 PM
Nettiesaur has given some great things to do and see. Incase some one wants to stay outside of the hustle and bustle of downtown you can go online and request a Wisconsin Lodging Directory http://www.wisconsinlodging.org or look all over Wisc. to book a room. If you prefer the Bed & Breakfast experience then go to http://www.wbba.org to check those out. While you are in America's Dairy Land you can go to http://www.Wisdairy.com/cheesetourmap and request a map of Cheesemakers and Cheese Shops to tour and even get a taste of some of our famous cheeses. For those of you who enjoy a little wine with your cheese there is the http://www.wiswine.com which is a nice booklet of Wineries through out our state that too offer tours and tastings. For those of you who will be on 2 or in 4 wheels do make the effort to ride/drive the Northern or Southern Kettle Moriane State Forests they offer a great views with wonderful twisty roads. State HWY 67 runs through both.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
05-29-2010, 06:01 PM
Hubby and I saw Rush at Marcus and for those of you who have never been there you will be quite happy! There really isn't a bad seat in the house.

There's a really great brewery/restaurant real close by that just has some truly spectacular pizza (drooling thinking about it!) Milwaukee Ale House and the beer is great!
05-29-2010, 09:06 PM
I went in and edited my original post to put in links to the places I mentioned.

05-30-2010, 11:10 PM
Nettiesaur, I don't know if there is anyplace to sample Klement's or Usinger's sausages/brats, but if so, it would be great to post something like that too. I'm lucky enough to live in northern Illinois, so I have access to both in our grocery stores, but for anybody who doesn't, a tip on where to get some of that would be great. Hubby and I have tickets to the show on the 3rd, so we'll be there. I hope to find a Wisconsin Cheese stand with some fried mozzarella and some fried cubes of cheddar. I can feel my butt getting bigger just talking about it!
05-30-2010, 11:59 PM
(05-30-2010 11:10 PM)zenjen Wrote:  Nettiesaur, I don't know if there is anyplace to sample Klement's or Usinger's sausages/brats, but if so, it would be great to post something like that too. I'm lucky enough to live in northern Illinois, so I have access to both in our grocery stores, but for anybody who doesn't, a tip on where to get some of that would be great. Hubby and I have tickets to the show on the 3rd, so we'll be there. I hope to find a Wisconsin Cheese stand with some fried mozzarella and some fried cubes of cheddar. I can feel my butt getting bigger just talking about it!

Saz's Express at Summerfest has your cheese feast(mozzarella marinara and the cheese curds). It's by the children's area.
Usingers has a tent run by Maders where you can get a sausage sampler plate. It's in the Ethnic village by the midgate.
There's a good chance that any bratwurst or sausage sold on the grounds is Usingers or Klements or Johnsonville. All are good brands.

Of course, The number one thing to do at Summerfest, after listening to music of course, is to eat!!
Then you walk along the Lakeshore to walk it off.lol Big Grin
Or drum along with a certain famous drummer, or play air guitar with our favorite guitarist.

06-25-2010, 07:48 AM
Don't park in the ODonnell park garage. In fact, you probably won't be able to. A giant chunk fell off of it yesterday afternoon.
2 hurt, 1 dead.
Parking is even tighter now.

Expect for it to take at least an hour to get out of the parking lots down at Summerfest if you drive there. That's how long it took to get out last night.

06-25-2010, 09:20 PM
Goodness, I wish I was going to Summerfest and the Milwaukee Show.

Schamozzle!

Hey Milwaukee, we're down here!
I woke up this morning and found out we'd moved.

The Milwaukee County Board of Supervisors on Thursday was debating whether to boycott Arizona because of Senate Bill 1070 when one of that county's leaders, Supervisor Peggy West, displayed her keen understanding of the issue and her rather astonishing grasp of geography.

"If this was Texas, which is a state that is directly on the border with Mexico, and they were calling for a measure like this saying that they had a major issue with undocumented people flooding their borders, I would have to look twice at this,” she said, during the debate. “But this is a state that is a ways removed from the border.” (See video here)

West -- who not surprisingly supports a boycott given her learned perspective -- later gave that well-worn explanation of politicians everywhere: she misspoke. What she meant to say, she explained to a Wisconsin TV station, is that she could understand if Texas had passed such a law because it has a larger border than Arizona.

“But having it be Arizona, having it be the second largest border and knowing there are troops on the border in Arizona, it didn't seem to me that this legislation was particularly necessary at this moment in time," West said.

Ummm......troops on the border?

The Board of Supervisors didn’t take any action. But Arizona Sen. Jon Kyl did. This morning, he sent West a letter -- and a map.

In case she hasn't yet received it. Hey, Peggy: click here.

Milwaukee County Board of Supervisors member Peggy West believes the Arizona immigration law is racist and supports a boycott of Arizona. Interestingly, West states that she would have to look twice at the Arizona law if it was “like Texas, which is a state that is directly on the border with Mexico and they were calling for a measure like this.” According to West, Arizona is “removed from the border.” Thankfully, a colleague of hers reminds her that Arizona is in fact a border state.

Hilarity ensues...

I KNEW I SHOULD HAVE TAKEN A LEFT AT ALBUQUERQUE!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-26-2010, 07:46 AM (This post was last modified: 06-26-2010 07:48 AM by Nettie.)
(06-25-2010 09:20 PM)ePhilosopher9 Wrote:  Goodness, I wish I was going to Summerfest and the Milwaukee Show.

Schamozzle!

The Milwaukee County Board of Supervisors on Thursday was debating whether to boycott Arizona because of Senate Bill 1070 when one of that county's leaders, Supervisor Peggy West, displayed her keen understanding of the issue and her rather astonishing grasp of geography.

"If this was Texas, which is a state that is directly on the border with Mexico, and they were calling for a measure like this saying that they had a major issue with undocumented people flooding their borders, I would have to look twice at this,” she said, during the debate. “But this is a state that is a ways removed from the border.” (See video here)

West -- who not surprisingly supports a boycott given her learned perspective -- later gave that well-worn explanation of politicians everywhere: she misspoke. What she meant to say, she explained to a Wisconsin TV station, is that she could understand if Texas had passed such a law because it has a larger border than Arizona.

“But having it be Arizona, having it be the second largest border and knowing there are troops on the border in Arizona, it didn't seem to me that this legislation was particularly necessary at this moment in time," West said.

The Board of Supervisors didn’t take any action. But Arizona Sen. Jon Kyl did. This morning, he sent West a letter -- and a map.

Milwaukee County Board of Supervisors member Peggy West believes the Arizona immigration law is racist and supports a boycott of Arizona. Interestingly, West states that she would have to look twice at the Arizona law if it was “like Texas, which is a state that is directly on the border with Mexico and they were calling for a measure like this.” According to West, Arizona is “removed from the border.” Thankfully, a colleague of hers reminds her that Arizona is in fact a border state.

Hilarity ensues...

Saw that on the news this morning.A product of the lovely public school system. FYI, as soon as she finished talking, another supervisor corrected her.
(06-25-2010 09:20 PM)ePhilosopher9 Wrote:  Goodness, I wish I was going to Summerfest and the Milwaukee Show.

Schamozzle!

Hilarity ensues...

Saw that on the news this morning.A product of the lovely public school system. Yow, that and the accident at the parking structure make us look like a bunch of yokels. We're not all idiots, we just look like it on t.v.!