Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Cooking for a crowd?
12-05-2010, 08:41 PM
RE: Cooking for a crowd?
(12-05-2010 12:10 PM)Detroit Dan Wrote:  Next Saturday my large family is coming over for dinner. 14 or 16 people so far. I'll be making a big prime rib and some salmon. Details to follow.

Oh... and my man cave has somehow turned into a winter wonder land.
And these guys are back. Dodgy

[Image: barseats.jpg]

Uhhh Dan?
Did you do that wood work schtuff? I am really wantin to make my cave a bit more man friendly and all that wood is making me woozy!

Looks cool!!!

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-06-2010, 06:56 AM (This post was last modified: 12-06-2010 06:58 AM by Detroit Dan.)
Yes Sir. Thank You. Built it myself. The paneling is made from individual knotty pine tongue and groove boards. Here is how it looks pre Christmas stuff.

[Image: IMG_3900SMALL.jpg]

[Image: IMG_3908SMALL.jpg]

[Image: IMG_3915SMALL.jpg]

I eat, therefor I am.

2011 Ironman Lake Placid - Finisher
Find all posts by this user
12-06-2010, 07:15 AM
Very nice. Definately wants makes you want to ask for a cold one and sit down and vist for awhile.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
12-06-2010, 07:22 AM
Thats the look I want. Our basement is "half" finished, but the walls in the half finished area look like the original plaster, and I hate the thought of ripping out all....that....plaster.

Could you just put the pine boards over the plaster walls instead of ripping them out?

12-06-2010, 07:28 AM
(12-06-2010 07:22 AM)boomer Wrote:  Thats the look I want. Our basement is "half" finished, but the walls in the half finished area look like the original plaster, and I hate the thought of ripping out all....that....plaster.

Could you just put the pine boards over the plaster walls instead of ripping them out?

Not really. They need studs for nailing.

I eat, therefor I am.

2011 Ironman Lake Placid - Finisher
12-06-2010, 07:39 AM
Drats. This could get ugly. This could take weeks.....and several bottles of single malt.

I still have to figure out the ceiling anyways.

12-06-2010, 03:12 PM
(12-06-2010 07:39 AM)boomer Wrote:  Drats. This could get ugly. This could take weeks.....and several bottles of single malt.

I still have to figure out the ceiling anyways.

So, not really clear why you would have to take down the sheetrock/plaster. Isn't that what measuring tapes, stud finders, and liquid nails are for? Huh

"Life ain't like books.
Books got somebody writin' 'em and tryin' to entertain ya.
Life is more like a set of Legos.
Unless you take care of 'em, you lose a few pieces and you end up steppin' on 'em with bare feet.
You gotta take care of your life."
~Laura Moncur
12-06-2010, 06:15 PM
You go Grl!!!

Most of us are so caught up in life that we forget to live it.
12-06-2010, 07:38 PM
Well, my thought wasn't even Liquid nails................BUT since you suggested.....!!!!

Basically thats what I want to do to the basement. Total knotty all the way around the room, and some trac lights in a few planned areas for light on my wife's knitting. Hey - she knits like CRAZY.

So I guess Grl just gave me a great idea!!! Trying to avoid a MESS....and ripping out plaster.....is a mess.

12-06-2010, 10:55 PM
(12-06-2010 07:38 PM)boomer Wrote:  Well, my thought wasn't even Liquid nails................BUT since you suggested.....!!!!

Basically thats what I want to do to the basement. Total knotty all the way around the room, and some trac lights in a few planned areas for light on my wife's knitting. Hey - she knits like CRAZY.

So I guess Grl just gave me a great idea!!! Trying to avoid a MESS....and ripping out plaster.....is a mess.

OR, you could put up 1"x2" furring strips in 3 places horizontally across your wall- top, middle, bottom. Nail those in to every stud you come across, then when you put up your paneling you will have a definitely secure place to nail your paneling to. If you choose this method, remember you will have to adjust your outlets and switches since your wall depth will change, so be prepared for that.
If you go with the liquid nails, remember to nail each piece of paneling that you can into a stud, then you can liquid nail the other pieces until you hit a stud again. You will have to adjust your switch and outlet depth with this method too.
(and that's why it says hardware goddess.....Big Grin)
Whatever you do, good luck!

"Life ain't like books.
Books got somebody writin' 'em and tryin' to entertain ya.
Life is more like a set of Legos.
Unless you take care of 'em, you lose a few pieces and you end up steppin' on 'em with bare feet.
You gotta take care of your life."
~Laura Moncur