Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 4.25 Average
Great Reads
04-18-2010, 03:57 PM
Question Book Nook
Post the name of the book that you are currently reading, or one that you just finished. Give a short Review if you like.

I've been Reading a bunch of Amish themed books by Beverly Lewis.
They are fairly easy reads though. They all tend to be romance novels for the Amish, but interesting enough that I want to finish them. They're a fun switch from the college level stuff I'm reading for a graduate class.

So what are you reading?

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-18-2010, 07:50 PM
RE: Book Nook
Currently, I'm reading "Racing Weight" by Matt Fitzgerald. It's a book about getting down to your ideal racing weight for endurance athletes. Gives some good information on nutrition, exercise, etc.

I've previously read:

"Flawed Dogs" - Berkley Breathed
"The Revolution" - Ron Paul
"Age of Turbulence" - Alan Greenspan
"End the Fed" - Ron Paul
"Ghost Rider" - Neil Peart
"The Vikings" - Gwyn Jones

I have about 150 books on my shelves which I need to get through. Most are non-fiction and historical in nature. Unfortunately, I don't get as much time to read as I'd like.
04-20-2010, 11:05 PM
I'm currently reading "Motherhood & Hollywood" by Patricia Heaton
and I just finished "Might As Well Laugh About It Now" by Marie Osmond

A party without cake is really just a meeting
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-21-2010, 10:36 AM
Currently reading "The Man Who Ate Everything" by Jeffery Steingarten, food critic of Vogue. It's a highly entertaining trip through his food experiences as an avid gourmand and food critic.
04-21-2010, 07:05 PM
I'm reading "Classroom Instruction That works for English Language Learners" by Jane D. Hill and Kathleen M. Flynn.
Our whole staff is reading and discussing it to improve our instruction. Most of the students are English Language Learners.

04-22-2010, 08:15 AM
I've recently read two interesting books focusing on wine. Neil Rosenthal's, 'Reflections of a Wine Merchant" and Jay McInerney's, "A Hedonist in the Cellar: Adventures in Wine". Although both books extoll the wonders of the grapes, the people and the terroir, they could not be more different in their approach. Neil's book centers more on the business of wine although the people he introduces you to and the places they live are well brought to life. In a sense a sort of "travel" book with wine at the center, it focuses on his education and growth as a wine importer in a tough world and he surely finds the wines of mainly France and Italy only to be worthy of merit. His wines are expensive and meant for keeping. McInerney on the other hand is definitely lower brow shall we say and at the same time more laid back to vicariously travel with. He bounces you all over the planet and the growers and wines he introduces us to are more "ready to wear" and his attitude is more that of consumer than critic.

Sacred cows make the best hamburgers.

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughtnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, 'Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".'
04-22-2010, 08:57 AM
"More that of a consumer than critic" Brutus, that's exactly how I look at things.
04-22-2010, 09:52 AM
(04-21-2010 10:36 AM)kerim2112 Wrote:  Currently reading "The Man Who Ate Everything" by Jeffery Steingarten, food critic of Vogue. It's a highly entertaining trip through his food experiences as an avid gourmand and food critic.

Please let us know if you attempt his turkey recipe!
Great book btw.
04-22-2010, 11:45 AM
I just started reading "The Lost Symbol" by Dan Brown - i'm a sucker for those conspiracy-theory type books!

Before that, I read "Rose Madder" by Stephen King. That's a book i've been wanting to read for about the last 10 years, but just never got around to it b/c I was reading books for my undergrad classes and then my CEBS courses. Finally now I can get back to some leisure reading!
04-22-2010, 02:01 PM (This post was last modified: 04-22-2010 02:11 PM by Sololson.)
I just finished "Our jungle road to Tokyo" written by general Eichelberger who served under MacArthur in the Pacific during WW2. I'm now reading "The Sun Also Rises" by Hemingway. As a full time student I also read a lot of textbooks, and sometimes it takes awhile to get through whatever I'm reading for pleasure. My interests seem to move around a lot, and I've always got more books on the shelves than time to read them. I also keep a list on my computer of books to get, and that seems to grow daily. I'm sure this little dialog will have me looking at more titles and adding to it.
Also with a focus on the wine book list, I read "A moveable thirst" awhile ago and enjoyed that. It follows a couple of friends, a wine pro and a writer, on a journey through Napa and recounts there trip, then follows with a guide to Napa and detailed info on all the wineries. Worth checking out if you're thinking about a trip to that region.