Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 4.25 Average
Great Reads
04-23-2010, 05:59 PM
RE: Book Nook
Anyone use a Kindle? I received one for my birthday last year and it's great!

I just finished 'I am Ozzy', by who else? Ozzy. It was a very quick read and pretty entertaining. I don't own any of his records, but am familiar enough with his time here on the rock to be interested in reading it. Chapter 1 : Page 1: The ball is red. Page 2: See the red ball. (Just kidding, Ozzy.)

So, now i'm about half way through Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, by Robert M. Pirsig. I've heard about this one just about my whole life, but only got around to reading it now, for some reason. It's fairly entertaining thus far. I enjoy talking about aspects of it with my boss @ werk who is Canadian, a motorcycle rider (just got a new 2010 KTM 990 SMT) and studied philosophy in Germany and does some zen stuff™. So in that sense, it's been a worthy read for me.

Just finished A Long Way Down: an Epic Journey by Motorcycle From Scotland to South Africa by Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman
I saw the first series, Long Way 'Round and didn't know they did companion books. So, I grabbed this one. I'm sort of disappointed... it seems the cat's out of the bag and their itinerary was always being squeezed by the 'powers that be' and their entourage had grown considerably. In the first one, it really felt DIY (Do It Yourself). I may watch the films, though.

A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn. Again, I've heard a lot about this and decided to check it out. I'm about 1/8th of the way through it.

That's about it for now!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-24-2010, 08:35 PM
Wow! What don't I read? I am currently making my way through "Honolulu" by Alan Brennert. This is a great historical fiction of one woman's struggles as a Korean picture bride at the turn of the century. I am also making my way through some of Christopher Moore's books. I love him and find that I am reading when I should be grading papers (I am making my way to "Fool"). I am one of a few English teachers who actually finds time to read for pleasure beyond those books I reread every year prior to teaching. I am currently doing "To Kill a Mockingbird" and "Hiroshima" with my students. Another great book for brain candy is "Life Expectancy" by Dean Koontz. I know, I know... not someone you would associate with a brain candy book, but trust me. I couldn't put this one down either. Happy Reading!
04-25-2010, 12:01 PM
Currently reading The Dancing Wu Li Masters.. by Gary Zukav
04-25-2010, 12:15 PM
Recently finished Bill Bryson's The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid, a meandering walk through his middle-American childhood. Like all of Bryson's stuff, it's wonderfully funny.
[Image: life_and_times_thunderbolt_kid.jpg]

Picked up an old collection of short stories and essays by Paul Theroux called Sunrise with Seamonsters and am enjoying it immensely. In particular, his short essay entitled The Cerebral Snapshot is probably my favourite bit of travel writing done by anyone at any time.
[Image: all%20%28442%29.jpg]

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
04-25-2010, 08:26 PM
Reinventing the Body, Resurecting the Soul by Deepak Chopra. His books have been quite motivational for me
04-26-2010, 12:36 AM
There are a few I've been reading these days:

The Big Short: Inside the Doomsday Machine - by Michael Lewis. This book chronicles the recent financial meltdown, focusing on the people who got rich betting that the system would fail.

A Captain's Duty - by Richard Phillips. A memoir about the captain who was taken hostage by Somali pirates last year. A fascinating story about the world of the merchant marine and Phillips' harrowing tale of survival.

The Right Stuff - by Tom Wolfe. This is my second time reading this book, after reading many other books about NASA and the Space Race. Wolfe's style sets this book apart from all others.
04-26-2010, 02:00 PM
I am about half way through Molto Agitato: The Mayhem Behind the Music at the Metropolitan Opera by Johanna Fiedler. Good stuff!

"Hope is what remains to be seen."- Bubba
04-26-2010, 03:52 PM (This post was last modified: 04-26-2010 03:53 PM by Nanobabe.)
Um, well...Unix in a Nutshell, KML Handbook, Key to Destiny (Piers Anthony), Jane Slayre (a parody of Jane Eyre - in the same, ahem, vein as Pride and Prejudice and Zombies), Learning Blues Harp, and Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos. The Tipping Point, Blink, American Gods, and War and Peace are waiting in the queue. (I have learned that I can spend WAY too much $$ in a bookstore.)

"Washington is a city of Southern efficiency and Northern charm." - JFK
04-26-2010, 06:03 PM
(04-26-2010 03:52 PM)Nanobabe Wrote:  Unix in a Nutshell

I was trying to leave work reading materials off my list. Tongue But, since you brought it up, good to see another *NIX person.

Quote:(I have learned that I can spend WAY too much $$ in a bookstore.)

Ditto. For technical manuals, I have a subscription to Safari books online and some of the books from O'Rielly Open Books. Technical books get outdated too quickly and are too costly. For about $120 a year, I have access to thousands of books. Can read them on my Android phone (or any smartphone for that matter) too.Cool
04-26-2010, 07:44 PM (This post was last modified: 04-26-2010 07:44 PM by Nettie.)
(04-26-2010 03:52 PM)Nanobabe Wrote:  Key to Destiny (Piers Anthony),

Nanobabe, how was this? I used to read Piers Anthony books, but lost interest after a while. Is it science fiction, or more like the Xanth series?