• 4 Votes - 4.25 Average
Great Reads
04-27-2010, 11:26 AM
RE: Book Nook
I'm reading One Door Away From Heaven by Dean Koontz
So far, so good Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-27-2010, 04:03 PM (This post was last modified: 04-27-2010 04:09 PM by Nanobabe.)
@ ForceTen, Re: Unix: Actually, only partially work-related...personal interest is also involved.

Blush<--Ubergeek

@ nettiesaur: The Keys series is more like the Xanth series, although it is starting to show signs of SciFi influence - not quite to the level of the Apprentice Adept series, though. It also has a great deal of sex...tastefully handled, but nearly every other page. The funny part is that I have this series on loan from my mother...Wink

"Washington is a city of Southern efficiency and Northern charm." - JFK
04-27-2010, 04:53 PM
(04-27-2010 04:03 PM)Nanobabe Wrote:  @ ForceTen, Re: Unix: Actually, only partially work-related...personal interest is also involved.

Blush<--Ubergeek

@ nettiesaur: The Keys series is more like the Xanth series, although it is starting to show signs of SciFi influence - not quite to the level of the Apprentice Adept series, though. It also has a great deal of sex...tastefully handled, but nearly every other page. The funny part is that I have this series on loan from my mother...Wink

I'll have to give it a try. I got into the Xanth series back in the late 1980's... so I'm probably old enough to be your mother!Big Grin

04-27-2010, 05:29 PM (This post was last modified: 04-27-2010 05:31 PM by Nanobabe.)
Not necessarily; I started reading Xanth around '85.Cool

"Washington is a city of Southern efficiency and Northern charm." - JFK
04-27-2010, 05:41 PM
(04-27-2010 04:03 PM)Nanobabe Wrote:  @ ForceTen, Re: Unix: Actually, only partially work-related...personal interest is also involved.

Blush<--Ubergeek

Then we have something more in common. I'm a UNIX/Linux SysAdmin by trade and use it quite heavily at home as well. Have for a number of years. Big Grin
04-27-2010, 07:44 PM
(04-27-2010 05:29 PM)Nanobabe Wrote:  Not necessarily; I started reading Xanth around '85.Cool

Wow, my mom just didn't get it, and a number of my siblings were reading the series, so the books were all over the house.

04-28-2010, 09:20 AM
I am currently reading "One Shot" by Lee Child. It's one of the Jack Reacher books. what a great character he is!

Recently read book one and two of the Percy Jackson series (for my son, who is 9. this series is a favorite of his. I sure wish those were around when i was a kid! what fun.

Also read "The Gathering Storm," book 12 of the Wheel of Time and the first by Brandon Sanderson, who is finishing the series for the now deceased Robert Jordan. This was a really amazing book....perhaps the most engaging and riveting of the series!
04-28-2010, 09:46 AM
Currently reading "Kitchen Confidential" by Anthony Bourdain. If anyone has spent time in the trenches of the restaurant industry, you're gonna recognize most of the people Anthony talks about in here. Kinda like "Caddyshack" for golf pros, this book is twice as funny if you're in, or ever HAVE been in, the business.
04-28-2010, 11:03 AM
(04-28-2010 09:46 AM)bookslogger Wrote:  Currently reading "Kitchen Confidential" by Anthony Bourdain. If anyone has spent time in the trenches of the restaurant industry, you're gonna recognize most of the people Anthony talks about in here. Kinda like "Caddyshack" for golf pros, this book is twice as funny if you're in, or ever HAVE been in, the business.

I read this last year and really enjoyed it. I watched "No Reservations" for awhile beforehand, so I knew I liked the guy, but I really enjoyed all the back history that let you know where he came from. Really lets you know some things not to order when you go out too!
04-28-2010, 11:23 AM
This was one of my favorite episodes of "No Reservations" and I must admit I had no idea of the level of stress of "working the line".

http://www.starpulse.com/news/index.php/...he_kitchen

Sacred cows make the best hamburgers.

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughtnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, 'Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".'