Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 4.25 Average
Great Reads
04-28-2010, 11:28 AM
RE: Book Nook
I have an 11 year old child and am currently reading all the books she has to do book reports / book talks on. I have to admit, I like the simplicity of the 5th grade reading level. The last book I, uh, we read was Abduction by Peg Kehret. I've read about 4 of her books and would recommend them to all those looking to dummy down for a little while.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-28-2010, 12:53 PM
I just finished, "Making Sense of Wine" by Matt Kramer. It was a really good read. The author covers topics ranging from how fermentation works, to answering the question about why there are so many different kinds of wine glasses. There are a few really good sounding recipes with interesting (and sometimes surprising )pairing suggestions.

I am also reading "The Book of Lost Things" by John Connolly and a compilation of Mark Twain's writings while living in San Francisco.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-28-2010, 04:33 PM
Books I grew up with and still love to this day are the Xanth novels by Peirs Anthony. They are great for kids and adults, and take place in a mystical land that strikes a remarkable similarity to Florida!! I know, I know,,,what the heck is this??...but just read one. There are about 10-15 Xanth books in all. I guaranty you'll love them.
04-28-2010, 05:05 PM
(04-18-2010 03:57 PM)nettiesaur Wrote:  Post the name of the book that you are currently reading, or one that you just finished. Give a short Review if you like.

I've been Reading a bunch of Amish themed books by Beverly Lewis.
They are fairly easy reads though. They all tend to be romance novels for the Amish, but interesting enough that I want to finish them. They're a fun switch from the college level stuff I'm reading for a graduate class.

So what are you reading?
I just finished the next book by Don Winslow, "Savages" (due July 2010). Think an updated 'Mod Squad' growing designer dope versus the BC (Baja Cartel). Don's thrillers are always a rocket ride, hang on!
04-28-2010, 05:40 PM
I am currently reading Daemon by Daniel Suarez.

PS Hi. (First post here)

Chance favors the prepared mind.
04-28-2010, 10:25 PM (This post was last modified: 04-29-2010 09:01 PM by Malazan-Bubba.)
(04-25-2010 12:01 PM)nypdbeatle Wrote:  Currently reading The Dancing Wu Li Masters.. by Gary Zukav

That is one of the books I'm reading at the moment.

I'm a big fan of Steven Erikson also(see user name)on a third reread of The Bone hunters.

I went to a restaurant that serves 'breakfast at any time'. So I ordered French Toast during the Renaissance. ~Steven Wright
04-29-2010, 07:33 AM
(04-28-2010 09:20 AM)Adrian Wrote:  I am currently reading "One Shot" by Lee Child. It's one of the Jack Reacher books. what a great character he is!

Recently read book one and two of the Percy Jackson series (for my son, who is 9. this series is a favorite of his. I sure wish those were around when i was a kid! what fun.

Also read "The Gathering Storm," book 12 of the Wheel of Time and the first by Brandon Sanderson, who is finishing the series for the now deceased Robert Jordan. This was a really amazing book....perhaps the most engaging and riveting of the series!

Brandon Sanderson also has a couple of fun reads based on his own ideas, The Well Of Ascention for one. There are others whose titles escape me at the moment.

As I mentioned in another thread, my wife and I are expecting our first child and have quite enjoyed On Becoming Baby Wise. Sensible ideas for developing responsible and healthy feeding and sleep structure for you and baby.

November is now MOvember. Knowledge is POWER and the Mustache is KING. Support mens Health and my Mustache farm here: http://mobro.co/counselor
04-29-2010, 05:01 PM
As long as we're talking about favourite authors and book series...

1) Michael Moorcock (Wrote the Eternal Champion series)
2) Margaret Weis and Tracky Hickman (Dragonlance)
3) JRR Tolkein (Middle Earth)
4) Fritz Leiber (Thieves World)
04-29-2010, 06:39 PM
Funny, ForceTen. I used to be in a band called Blöödhag and all of our songs were really short, fast, heavy metal songs about science fiction authors.

Some of my fav's:

John Brunner
William Gibson
Phillip K. Dick (The 'K' is for kicking some ass with great books!)
04-30-2010, 11:36 AM
"Devils in Exile" by Boston area author Chuck Hogan. A homeless Iraq war veteran is invited into a shady group of fellow vets. Their goal? To take down area drug lords, stomp their product and keep the money using their combat skills. Modern day Robin Hoods with attitude. Until of course, our hero begins to develop a theory that his new boss may be using the gang for something else entirely. Another great read from Hogan and hey, RUSH is mentioned in the book!

Season's Greetings!