Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 4.25 Average
Great Reads
04-30-2010, 11:54 AM (This post was last modified: 05-01-2010 12:19 PM by NWoBHM.)
RE: Book Nook
My favourite authors, in no particular order, Stephen King, Dean Koontz, Wilbur Smith, Alistaire Maclean. One recent author which surprised me how much I liked his stuff, (as I didnt think I would be impressed) was Andy McNab - former SAS Sergeant who wrote Bravo 2 Zero - and developed a load of stories with a central character, Nick Stone - who is a fictional former SAS trooper, now working on deniable operations. The beauty, (for me at least) in the books are they usually open with actual SAS work that Nick, (McNab) was involved with, and then fast forward to a later time. Apparently, four of these books are now being made into films.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2010, 06:59 AM
Just read all of the LJ Smith Vampire Diaries books because I love the tv show, can't help it I have always been a Vampire Girl. Unfortunately I did not like the books at all.

Getting ready to read works by Carlos Castaneda. I have only read his first, The Teachings of Don Juan, but there are several more about his time with the Shaman Don Juan. Fascinating reads.
Find all posts by this user
05-01-2010, 09:36 AM (This post was last modified: 05-01-2010 09:38 AM by Laffitupfzbl.)
My son turned two in December. He's getting to a point where I MIGHT be able to sit quietly enough to read a chapter or two here or there. Otherwise, Momma's had no reading time since before he came along...

I get most of my stuff off the clearance racks, so I get some interesting reads. One thing I bought a while back, and haven't made it too far into, is Myths and Legends of the Bible. Kinda neat, some of the stories that people make up surrounding Bible stories.

Alternatively, I've been reading TONS of baby books. I have Hop on Pop memorized, along with The Dark, Dark Night, Bear Hunt, Brown Bear, and many other childrens' classics. The one rule we have, when the kiddo wants a book read we drop what we're doing and read to him. I have a messy house, but a happy baby!
05-01-2010, 12:59 PM
I just started reading "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy. Will give a review in a few days.
05-01-2010, 06:26 PM
(05-01-2010 12:59 PM)drmdawg13 Wrote:  I just started reading "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy. Will give a review in a few days.

I just started reading him last year. Welcome to somberville. It's a good read. Also, blood meridian, if you haven't yet. It brutally captures the essence of the West in the 1860-70's. Incredible.
05-01-2010, 10:14 PM
I just finished "The Mammy" by Brendan O'Carroll. Typical Irish hard knock life story, with a happy ending.

05-02-2010, 02:51 AM
In the spirit of the summer to come, I have decided to re-read my Neil Peart books. I am currently reading The Masked Rider and will start Ghost Rider after that. I had forgotten what a great writer NP is (Blasphemy, I know!), and I am really enjoying TMR again...probably more than I did the first time I read it!

I think after I am done with my NP books, I am going to re-read my Douglas Adams collection. I sure do miss that guy! I also have The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged on the shelf due for another read.

I have really enjoyed going back and re-reading books that I read when I was younger. Being older and more versed in the "ways of the world," I had found that I am having completely different feelings than I had when I was a youngster.

"Sometimes our big splashes
are just ripples in the pool..."
05-02-2010, 12:44 PM
(05-02-2010 02:51 AM)Rushchick Wrote:  In the spirit of the summer to come, I have decided to re-read my Neil Peart books. I am currently reading The Masked Rider and will start Ghost Rider after that. I had forgotten what a great writer NP is (Blasphemy, I know!), and I am really enjoying TMR again...probably more than I did the first time I read it!

I think after I am done with my NP books, I am going to re-read my Douglas Adams collection. I sure do miss that guy! I also have The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged on the shelf due for another read.

I have really enjoyed going back and re-reading books that I read when I was younger. Being older and more versed in the "ways of the world," I had found that I am having completely different feelings than I had when I was a youngster.

The Masked Rider is really funny. "What is this handbasket, and where the hell are we going?" is a chapter title. awesome.
I had to reread Traveling Music, because the first time I read it, I had just finished my thesis, and I must have been tired of reading. I didn't get it, and didn't like it. I put it aside, and reread it last summer, and enjoyed reading it. Neil's writing is very descriptive. I enjoy that almost as much as his drumming, maybe more.Smile

05-02-2010, 02:58 PM
Hi everyone,

First off, I have read and enjoyed all of Neil's books, and I recommend them to anyone who hasn't read them.

Secondly (and I know this might seem shameless, and I apologize), i think some of my fellow Rush fans might enjoy reading my sci-fi / horror novel. It is called Gene Pool (by Steven Maass and Katherine Terstegen), and it is available as an e-book from Amazon.com's Kindle store. The book has been quite well received, so if you want to find out why those gray, almond-eyed aliens are *really* here, please check it out.

In the meantime, best wishes to all, safe travels to the band this summer, and happy reading and eating!
05-02-2010, 04:11 PM
(05-02-2010 02:58 PM)RushingAround Wrote:  Hi everyone,

First off, I have read and enjoyed all of Neil's books, and I recommend them to anyone who hasn't read them.

Secondly (and I know this might seem shameless, and I apologize), i think some of my fellow Rush fans might enjoy reading my sci-fi / horror novel. It is called Gene Pool (by Steven Maass and Katherine Terstegen), and it is available as an e-book from Amazon.com's Kindle store. The book has been quite well received, so if you want to find out why those gray, almond-eyed aliens are *really* here, please check it out.

In the meantime, best wishes to all, safe travels to the band this summer, and happy reading and eating!

It's only shameless if you mention it in every single thread on the board.Tongue