Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 4.25 Average
Great Reads
05-02-2010, 04:29 PM
RE: Book Nook
(05-02-2010 04:11 PM)nettiesaur Wrote:  It's only shameless if you mention it in every single thread on the board.Tongue

Then it's called "SPAM"...and my recipes for spam involve catapults...

"Washington is a city of Southern efficiency and Northern charm." - JFK
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2010, 09:19 PM
(05-02-2010 02:51 AM)Rushchick Wrote:  In the spirit of the summer to come, I have decided to re-read my Neil Peart books. I am currently reading The Masked Rider and will start Ghost Rider after that. I had forgotten what a great writer NP is (Blasphemy, I know!), and I am really enjoying TMR again...probably more than I did the first time I read it!

I think after I am done with my NP books, I am going to re-read my Douglas Adams collection. I sure do miss that guy! I also have The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged on the shelf due for another read.

I have really enjoyed going back and re-reading books that I read when I was younger. Being older and more versed in the "ways of the world," I had found that I am having completely different feelings than I had when I was a youngster.
I have started doing the same. I already read Ghost Rider again. I love that book. I like reading it when I travel on my motorcycle. That book really helped me get through some tough tragic times of my own. I just finished re-reading Roadshow. I love how Neil describes being followed in the bus. As a touring tech we have had this happen before and even a few times had people in our bus. He is completely right about the invasion of privacy and anyone that would believe that it is OK to do such a thing is crazy.

Now I am on The Masked Rider. I love how he describes Cameroon. The Bicycle Africa tour being Cameroon" Country of Contrasts" fit perfectly. I enjoyed reading how he and Leonard would go off on their own then he would stay back for Elsa's sake.

I wish Neil had his books on audio with himself reading. That would be awesome. Traveling Music I enjoyed as well because instead of being on motorcycle he traveled by car. In each book he references something from another book or from the tour or something he and Brutus or Michael experienced. He is very descriptive. I could just read a page and close my eyes and picture everything he is saying.

I also found myself making notes of the books Neil would read while on his travels in each book. Making a note to get a copy of the book and read it. Then hitting up the library to do so. I actually read Marion Meade's Dorothy Parker: What Fresh Hell Is This that he mentioned.

If you haven't I would recommend all 4 of Neil's books. They make for great reading and entertainment. They also give you more insight to Neil's idea of being a rockstar and how he doesn't portray "that other guy" The comedy, the drummer jokes, the descriptive journeys, the pain and sorrow...it all is in his books.
05-02-2010, 09:21 PM
when I was younger i read tons of sci-fi. all the Asimov i could find . Larry Niven, "Ringworld" etc. fascinated me. still read Niven. more recently enjoyed Dan Simmons "Hyperion" and the three novels that follow it - can't describe it well now but they're great stories . Also like Simmon's "Illium" and "Olympos".
recently re-read Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle's "Inferno" and their "The Mote In God's Eye" another favorite. too many to list .
non-fiction reading has included all of Neil Peart's books. the first "Masked Rider" was like taking the journey with him... my favorite of his writing. also really loved "Roadshow" as a rush fan.
currently not reading (I'm full?) . going to try to learn to be more of a cook so Bubba's seem to be the right place!
05-03-2010, 06:50 PM
(05-02-2010 04:29 PM)Nanobabe Wrote:  
(05-02-2010 04:11 PM)nettiesaur Wrote:  It's only shameless if you mention it in every single thread on the board.Tongue

Then it's called "SPAM"...and my recipes for spam involve catapults...

spam recipes...now there's a thread title!

05-04-2010, 05:28 AM
I just got book two in the mail of my favorite cartoonist, Berkley Breathed

Bloom County - The Complete Library

I've followed Opus, Milo, Binkley, Rosebud, Bill the Cat, and all the rest of the cast over the years and have just about all of his books. Will be pre-ordering Volume three of the library shortly.
05-04-2010, 01:34 PM
(05-04-2010 05:28 AM)ForceTen Wrote:  I just got book two in the mail of my favorite cartoonist, Berkley Breathed

Bloom County - The Complete Library

I've followed Opus, Milo, Binkley, Rosebud, Bill the Cat, and all the rest of the cast over the years and have just about all of his books. Will be pre-ordering Volume three of the library shortly.

Somewhat along similar lines I suppose, I am now reading "Schulz and Peanuts: A Biography", by David Michaelis. I'm only about halfway through, but have enjoyed it quite a bit so far. Michaelis does a nice job of giving a lot of pre-peanuts background, and goes quite deep into Schulz as a person, not just a cartoonist. I can't wait for my school finals to be done so I can plow through the second half.
05-05-2010, 09:11 PM
(05-01-2010 06:26 PM)Snapdad Wrote:  
(05-01-2010 12:59 PM)drmdawg13 Wrote:  I just started reading "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy. Will give a review in a few days.

I just started reading him last year. Welcome to somberville. It's a good read. Also, blood meridian, if you haven't yet. It brutally captures the essence of the West in the 1860-70's. Incredible.

Thanks for the heads up on blood meridian..will have to pick it up when i get home.
05-05-2010, 10:42 PM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2010 11:17 PM by paul.)
currently reading: DIARY OF A U-BOAT COMMANDER-STEPHEN KING
have read: SON OF HAMAS-RON BRACKIN
THREATCON DELTA:ASSAULT O-DAVID ALEXANDER
ONE MORE DAY EVERWHERE-GLEN HEGGSTAD
GHOST RIDER-NEIL PEART
TRAVELING MUSIC-NEIL PEART
HELL'S ANGEL-SONNY BARGER
DEAD IN 5 HEARTBEATS-SONNY BARGER
ROADSHOW: LANDSCAPE WITH DRUMS-NEIL PEART
THE LOST SYMBOL-DAN BROWN
A WAYWARD ANGEL-GEORGE WETHERN
THREATCON DELTA:ASSAULT O.....-DAVID ALEXANDER
Thanks to my wife and my son's gift of amazon's kindle. what a great tool for reading. i must admit though i miss real books
(05-05-2010 10:42 PM)paul Wrote:  currently reading: DIARY OF A U-BOAT COMMANDER-STEPHEN KING
have read: SON OF HAMAS-RON BRACKIN
THREATCON DELTA:ASSAULT O-DAVID ALEXANDER
ONE MORE DAY EVERWHERE-GLEN HEGGSTAD
GHOST RIDER-NEIL PEART
TRAVELING MUSIC-NEIL PEART
HELL'S ANGEL-SONNY BARGER
DEAD IN 5 HEARTBEATS-SONNY BARGER
ROADSHOW: LANDSCAPE WITH DRUMS-NEIL PEART
THE LOST SYMBOL-DAN BROWN
A WAYWARD ANGEL-GEORGE WETHERN
THREATCON DELTA:ASSAULT O.....-DAVID ALEXANDER
Thanks to my wife and my son's gift of amazon's kindle. what a great tool for reading. i must admit though i miss real books. will be glad to give reviews, have read these since last sept. winter months busyness
05-06-2010, 09:49 AM
I recently purchased a Kindle so happily flick between books whilst on the train so I have no "fun book" right now. I am currently reading essays on Youth Justice for my degree, though. Best book I read recently was I Am Everyone I Meet by James P White. It made me feel so small and insignificant because I am not brave enough to do what he did. I am trying to learn from his example, though.

With all of my dietary restrictions, I'm left with lipstick and water
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-06-2010, 11:06 AM
"The Smartest Guys in the Room: the amazing rise and scaldalous fall of Enron" is my current read. I've recently become intrigued with understanding the process by which highly intellgent people rationalize bad decisions and find themselves on the slippery slope. Greed, Ego, Hubris, and some things I don't understand . . .