Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Los Angeles (August 11th 2010)
05-26-2010, 04:37 AM (This post was last modified: 05-26-2010 05:59 AM by Irezumi_Muzan.)
Los Angeles (August 11th 2010)
Me and my travel partner were planning on going to LA in August anyway (she wants to experience the heat but she could barely cope when we were out there last March so that should be interesting...). Due to the ash cloud hanging around plus British Airways and their strike issues, the price of flights has gone stupidly high so I was considering cancelling the whole thing but then I saw the tour dates...

We will stay at the Stillwell Hotel (838 S Grand Ave) in Downtown LA (it's a roach-infested fire trap but it's cheap and my friend has a thing for the boy on the front desk...). We'll be flying out the Saturday before so I will have had a few days to stal... err... "find" my ex in Pasadena and buy my own body weight in vegan cupcakes from Babycakes (130 E 6th Street).

Gig day will start off with a Chinese foot massage in San Gabriel (502 E Valley Blvd - $15 an hour but please tip big). Then over to Studio City for a raw lunch at Sunpower Natural Cafe (3711 Cahuenga Blvd) and then vegan ice-cream at KindKreme (3701 Cahuenga Blvd). Follows a slow stroll over to Universal City Walk...

A quick indoor skydive - http://www.iflyhollywood.com/ then a pint at the Hard Rock Cafe (it just has to be done...).

Post gig, race back downtown before last orders at Hank's Bar in the lobby of the Stillwell.

Following day will have to be spent laying on the beach in Santa Monica, burning to a bright red crisp (that'll be my friend's reward for putting up with listening to my music - her favourite song is Smack That by Akon... just can't educate this girl...). But at least I control where we have lunch - Real Food Daily (514 Santa Monica Blvd).

Then of course it is back to the usual for us; Rahel's vegan Ethiopian treats (1047 South Fairfax Ave), $40 Thai massage at Pho-Siam (1525 Pizarro St), and being pretentious at The Edison (108 W 2nd St)...

I love LA... Getting to see decent bands is just a bonus...

With all of my dietary restrictions, I'm left with lipstick and water
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-08-2010, 02:29 PM
RE: Los Angeles (August 11th 2010)
You should go on the Paramount Pictures web site and get tickets for some of your favorite shows. I have been a teacher for many kid stars and getting tickets for Dr. Phil, True Jackson and other shows is just a click away. We almost went to the Dr. Phil show but I'm not the biggest fan and the tickets are on work days. My wife really wants to go so maybe this August we'll go. The Paramount lot is wonderful....they offer VIP tours for about $200 but it's well worth it. You can go see the Star Trek set or go to stage 25 to see the old stage where Lucile Ball, Cheers and Frazier were filmed. If you go to downtown LA, please try to schedule something...it's one of the best experiences I've had. Anymore questions? PM me or just post here.
Find all posts by this user
08-10-2010, 09:56 PM
(05-26-2010 04:37 AM)Irezumi_Muzan Wrote:  Me and my travel partner were planning on going to LA in August anyway (she wants to experience the heat but she could barely cope when we were out there last March so that should be interesting...). Due to the ash cloud hanging around plus British Airways and their strike issues, the price of flights has gone stupidly high so I was considering cancelling the whole thing but then I saw the tour dates...

We will stay at the Stillwell Hotel (838 S Grand Ave) in Downtown LA (it's a roach-infested fire trap but it's cheap and my friend has a thing for the boy on the front desk...). We'll be flying out the Saturday before so I will have had a few days to stal... err... "find" my ex in Pasadena and buy my own body weight in vegan cupcakes from Babycakes (130 E 6th Street).

Gig day will start off with a Chinese foot massage in San Gabriel (502 E Valley Blvd - $15 an hour but please tip big). Then over to Studio City for a raw lunch at Sunpower Natural Cafe (3711 Cahuenga Blvd) and then vegan ice-cream at KindKreme (3701 Cahuenga Blvd). Follows a slow stroll over to Universal City Walk...

A quick indoor skydive - http://www.iflyhollywood.com/ then a pint at the Hard Rock Cafe (it just has to be done...).

Post gig, race back downtown before last orders at Hank's Bar in the lobby of the Stillwell.

Following day will have to be spent laying on the beach in Santa Monica, burning to a bright red crisp (that'll be my friend's reward for putting up with listening to my music - her favourite song is Smack That by Akon... just can't educate this girl...). But at least I control where we have lunch - Real Food Daily (514 Santa Monica Blvd).

Then of course it is back to the usual for us; Rahel's vegan Ethiopian treats (1047 South Fairfax Ave), $40 Thai massage at Pho-Siam (1525 Pizarro St), and being pretentious at The Edison (108 W 2nd St)...

I love LA... Getting to see decent bands is just a bonus...

I will be there at the show tomorrow! 4th row! Can't wait! I will probably get there early and go have a couple drinks at Karl Strauss before the show.

(I hope there are no emergencies in any of my cases tomorrow because I am not missing the show!)
08-11-2010, 04:47 PM
My seat is ORC 5, DD, Seat 9, if any of you are close by. Come say hi to me. Since it takes for ever to get from Century City over to the Universal City Walk (with traffic through Hollywood, and I don't know if going 405/101 would be any better), I will probably leave around 5 or 5:30 and go grab a beer at Karl Strauss before the show if anyone is interested.
08-12-2010, 03:00 AM
Okay, so that was a really awesome show! Who taught the chimp to use traditional grip? The visuals were really spectacular. Loved the set, too. I think this is my favorite of all of Neil's kits. Great set list and awesome new songs. I don't know what else to say. I got my money's worth.
03-14-2016, 11:43 PM
I enjoyed the show, it was entertaining. It was warm and I hate the heat, but the concert took all my irritation away. I have to admit though, the employees at the Forum were really accommodating. You see, I pulled my groin muscle and I had to crutch my way from the parking lot south side to the north side of the Forum because I had floor seats. (THE FORUM IS GINOURMUS!) I got tired easy because of the pain. When I finally arrived to where I needed to enter into the Forum and after got searched, a Latina employee asked if I needed help. She was really really helpful and was worried that I would fall. I said it's cool.

Unfortunately, the person working the elevator was away and she deeply apologized. I then said no worries, I felt badly about her worrying. I then said, well, instead of just waiting around, I'll go down the stairs. She said no, you may fall and get hurt! I said, no, long before there were disability accommodations in public facilities, I learned to walk down stairs. She then said, "OK, I'll follow you." As we were going down the stairs, she was extending her hands out worrying that I may fall. I finally got to the bottom and I repeatedly thanked her.

When the doors opened to go to our seat, everyone was really nice. Employees and fans politely moved out of the way to let me get through. I was thanking everyone and people were polite. Rush folks are good people. Then when the show was over, I sat down relaxing, I sort of debriefed myself and reminisced that 30 years before, I was in the same arena when I first saw Rush.

Then I went souvenir shopping, saw the person who operated the elevator, got a ride up, thanked her and went for my car. The Latina saw me, she asked if I enjoyed the how and if I were OK. I thanked her and dropped a thank you notice to her on Facebook when I went to my parent's place to sleep over. I could not drive home, I was exhausted.

This was my experience and the prelude, the show and postlude was an enjoyable and memorable event. Nothing will ever replace the wonderful time I had oh and if there were any Rush fans at the Forum who attended the concert, let's have a post-Rush-at-the-Forum-meetup!
Find all posts by this user