Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
What are you listening to?
10-01-2011, 11:24 AM
RE: What are you listening to?
Burmagrr... right on. I am automatically endeared to the rare person who's familiar with and likes Animal Logic. They were a short lived (2 album) collaboration from 80's featuring Deborah Holland. Just the other night I ran across such a person at a bar, we were cool until this fool had the audacity to claim that Stewart C. was a better drummer than Bubba P. I've never been in a bar fight before, but I told him "them's fightin' words".
OHR... Ponty was with Stanley, Chick Corea, Lenny White and Frank Gambale, AKA Return To Forever, last Saturday night in Seattle for their last U.S. show before going to Japan. Lenny spoke and said that they'll miss the U.S because they're all from here. Someone said "Uh..What about Jean-Luc?" He said "Jean-Luc? He's from Paris...Texas"
They are all great musicians. But it's still not Rock.
Some bands don't realize that the "bell has tolled" for them. It's a shame to see some bands, that once had something, clinging to that which is lost. It's outright thrilling when a band we like can take us backward AND forward.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-02-2011, 06:02 AM
(09-24-2011 09:49 AM)oogustus Wrote:  Isn't R.E.M. rapid eye movement? My other favorite bass player is Stanley Clark. He's been to my neck of the woods a grand total of 4 times since the 70's. Tonight I will be seeing him with Return To Forever at the Paramount Theatre where thee 2112 tour went through. Bonus...Dweezil Zappa Plays Zappa is opening.

Wow, that must have been a sick show! I had Romantic Warrior in college and it blew my mind. In fact after a short time of listening I had to turn it off. It was so intense on my brain. I had to gradually increase the time over time.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-04-2011, 03:24 PM
Jethro Tull's Living With the Past. Great live versions of so many classics. Saw him twice - what a show!

Shifting & Drifting
10-04-2011, 07:54 PM
I saw Jethro Tull twice as well, Brian. Both times in high school. I LIVED on their "Benefit" album!
Today, while working on a project (no not Brutus), I listened to Caress of Steel, Hemispheres, and Permanent Waves. They all had parts I really liked, but Permanent Waves was my favorite of the three.

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
10-05-2011, 04:32 PM
(09-24-2011 09:49 AM)oogustus Wrote:  Isn't R.E.M. rapid eye movement? My other favorite bass player is Stanley Clark. He's been to my neck of the woods a grand total of 4 times since the 70's. Tonight I will be seeing him with Return To Forever at the Paramount Theatre where thee 2112 tour went through. Bonus...Dweezil Zappa Plays Zappa is opening.

I had no idea what I was in for when I attended that same concert here in AZ. Of course, ZPZ was AWESOME as always, but Return to Forever...I studied about those guys in my Evolution of Jazz class in college. I am still replaying that night in my head. WOW!

"Hope is what remains to be seen."- Bubba
10-05-2011, 05:57 PM
Will probably go see The Australian Pink Floyd this Saturday. I've heard it's absolutely amazing and almost as good as the real thing. I'll be the judge of that!

Love and respect...
Turn up the music and smile!
ASSTA Member
10-05-2011, 07:14 PM
Australian Pink Floyd? Yeah let us know how it is. I really, really like Pink Floyd, but have never been able to see them live, but not so sure how I feel about seeing a cover version.

Well-weathered leather, hot metal and oil, the scented country air..
10-05-2011, 07:26 PM
A PF tribute band? Sounds fun! Take pics if you can...

We're going to go see The Musical Box next Friday. They are a Genesis tribute band - they're doing the entire Lamb Lies Down on Broadway show. We got front row seats!

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!
10-05-2011, 09:19 PM
(10-05-2011 07:26 PM)Scythe Matters Wrote:  A PF tribute band? Sounds fun! Take pics if you can...

We're going to go see The Musical Box next Friday. They are a Genesis tribute band - they're doing the entire Lamb Lies Down on Broadway show. We got front row seats!

No way! That sounds awesome too! I'll look forward to hearing your review! Love the old Gabriel-era Genesis. Phil was good, but Peter was stunning!

Rey, everyone I've talked to who's seen them has given me emphatic orders to go check them out. Even got a "if you close your eyes, you can't tell the difference" once. IDK, Gilmour's guitar sound is very distinctive, as is Waters' voice...so, yes, we'll see! Smile

Love and respect...
Turn up the music and smile!
ASSTA Member
10-06-2011, 12:23 PM
Wow! Musical Box? I love old Genesis with Gabriel up front.
I've also heard great things about that Floyd band.
Anyone else scratching their heads at the fact that now you can imbibe
at your favorite concert? Remember all the sneaking beforehand?
My first concert was Kansas at the Boston Garden (RIP), tshirts were $5.

Shifting & Drifting