Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
What are you listening to?
09-24-2011, 09:49 AM
RE: What are you listening to?
Isn't R.E.M. rapid eye movement? My other favorite bass player is Stanley Clark. He's been to my neck of the woods a grand total of 4 times since the 70's. Tonight I will be seeing him with Return To Forever at the Paramount Theatre where thee 2112 tour went through. Bonus...Dweezil Zappa Plays Zappa is opening.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-24-2011, 11:33 AM
(09-24-2011 09:49 AM)oogustus Wrote:  My other favorite bass player is Stanley Clark.

I was really fortunate to see Stanley Clark a number of years ago when he was touring with Jean-Luc Ponty and Al Dimeola in a trio called Rite of Strings.

Outstanding. Truly amazing and inspiring to watch and listen.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
09-24-2011, 12:22 PM
Saw REO Speedwagon and Styx last night. REO kicked ass...they still sounds great and they haven't "cheesed out" like some other of those "classic rock/reliving the past" groups have. Kevin's voice is still as strong and good as ever. Their set list was good and included some older, more obscure stuff and the "Riding the Storm Out" encore was awesome!

Styx however, was a different story. Their whole show was cheese. It looked like it was all choreographed and scripted. Their "new" keyboard guy was WAY over the top. Prancing around all over the place, doing goofy things with his rotating keyboard. There were some guys sitting off to my left that kept screaming "YOU SUCK!" when ever keyboard dude sang something solo. And to top it off (this really offended the techie side of me) their audio was absolutely atrocious!!! It sounded like someone had stuffed pillows in the line arrays. There was no bottom end, no top end, and it was all very flat and dull sounding. Very difficult to listen to. And the spot ops sucked too. James Young is a tall guy and the spot op on him apparently didn't realize that you need to open the iris to get tall guys in the beam. Duh! I thought more than once about leaving early to beat the traffic, but I clung to the hope that their audio guys would fix the sound and the spots would wake up. But alas, they never did. Sigh...

The funniest thing about the evening was that this was in the same venue that our Boys played in when they came to SLC in Aug '10 (that I didn't go to, like a complete freakin' dumba$$; still kicking myself on that one...unbelievable!) and it took me a good 20-30 min to stop imagining what it would've been like to see them there and pay attention to what was actually going on. Smile

(Mark my words: I will NEVER miss our Boys again, ever, period, paragraph.)

Love and respect...
Turn up the music and smile!
ASSTA Member
09-24-2011, 02:14 PM
We saw Reo/Styx a few years ago. Kevin sure can belt it out, but I think when Styx came out they used that as an excuse to turn the volume up on the amps so loud I couldnt understand anything. But - I was on the front row and have a polaroid the guys tossed out from stage. I wouldnt say they were aweful....just clearly not what I had expected. I would expect for such talent those guys would know how to do a show right....

After seeing the boys twice in one year - nobody has even come close to their live perfomances.

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-29-2011, 11:01 AM (This post was last modified: 09-29-2011 11:02 AM by derekpt.)
I know it's a week after you posted, Rey, but also grew up with R.E.M. Even ventured to Athens to see a girl there and we wound up seeing them playing a smaller gig at some venue...it's been years. I do remember being very NOT impressed and I became the one idiot who didnt like R.E.M. in my high school (was into other music, New Wave mostly and R.E.M. certainly wasnt that). Once in college (read: once I matured), I gradually became a big fan, though, like you, the newer stuff just didnt speak to me, on CD or live. Still a shame to see them hang it up as a band. At least it sounded like their call. Hopefully they broke up on their terms and amicably.
I know it's a week after you posted, Rey, but also grew up with R.E.M. Even ventured to Athens to see a girl there and we wound up seeing them playing a smaller gig at some venue...it's been years. I do remember being very NOT impressed and I became the one idiot who didnt like R.E.M. in my high school (was into other music, New Wave mostly and R.E.M. certainly wasnt that). Once in college (read: once I matured), I gradually became a big fan, though, like you, the newer stuff just didnt speak to me, on CD, cassette (gasp!) or live. Still a shame to see them hang it up as a band. At least it sounded like their call. Hopefully they broke up on their terms and amicably.

Know thyself.
Socrates
09-29-2011, 11:28 AM
Just saw a few posts on Stanley Clark and wanted to throw my 2 cents in...I remember back in the late 70's or early 80's watching something along the lines of Don Kirshner/Midnight Special that had a spot on Staley Clark on it. He was by himself, with nothing but a 6 string acoustic, playing the Beatles' "All The Lonely People", no vocals, and I was completely blown away! Mind you, I'm no guitarist, but he was playing the bass line on the top E, while picking the vocal and guitar parts out with his strumming hand, all the while tapping his right elbow on the body of the acoustic to keep rythym! AWESOME!

"Rollin' numbers, rock-n-rollin', got my Kiss records out!"
09-29-2011, 02:06 PM
RE Post Above: Boy, do I ever feel stupid!...must have had to many tankards of burgundy last night, but it was Stanley JORDAN, not Clarke, that I saw doing Eleanor Rigby oh so many years ago! I told you I'm no guitarist!Tongue Anyway,http://www.youtube.com/artist/Stanley_Jordan?feature=watch_video_title...Enjoy!

"Rollin' numbers, rock-n-rollin', got my Kiss records out!"
09-29-2011, 02:13 PM
(09-29-2011 02:06 PM)Gnawin Nawlins Wrote:  RE Post Above: Boy, do I ever feel stupid!...must have had to many tankards of burgundy last night, but it was Stanley JORDAN, not Clarke, that I saw doing Eleanor Rigby oh so many years ago! I told you I'm no guitarist!Tongue Anyway,http://www.youtube.com/artist/Stanley_Jordan?feature=watch_video_title...Enjoy!

No worries! Easy mistake to make and anyone who has any awareness of Mr Jordan would know you meant him. And actually, the two did play together...there is an insanely nice version of Stevie Wonder's "Overjoyed" on one of Stanley Clarke's albums that has Stanley Jordan on it (or is it one of Jordan's albums with Clarke on it? ...now you have ME wondering!). Just a beautiful track!

"I don't cook; I prepare things." My late brother Bill
09-29-2011, 08:44 PM
Stanley Clarke, as in who played w/Stewart Copeland in Animal Logic? My knowledge of him is limited to that, but I seem to recall appreciating his contribution to that endeavor....

Blah blah blah....yada yada yada!
09-30-2011, 05:38 PM
Met these fellas at the Guinness Bar in Dublin. They were playing their hearts out for the tourists on the Guinness tour.
They are very good, and different. Their cover of AC/DC is not only funny - but well done. Very likeable when speaking to them as well.
Give a listen : http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-New-Fr...2405167945

Most of us are so caught up in life that we forget to live it.