Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
What are you listening to?
10-27-2011, 06:31 PM
RE: What are you listening to?
I just bought the new release from Queensryche -- Dedicated to Chaos.
Initially, it was only so-so, but after subsequent listenings -- this album
is really good. It has received many harsh reviews from the abundance
of diehards. However, this album is a totally new sound for the group.
It is very experimental in nature and parts of it have very "pop" elements. It's been in the player now for 3weeks with no signs of
slowing down.
Overall, a very rewarding experience for those who are willing to grow
with a band. To bad many people will miss this one. However, as RUSH
fans, I know we tend to be very open minded ! Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-27-2011, 07:04 PM
Some people turned me on to this lately. I liked it all for various reasons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...3yHZYdFaQM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...F8PLsV2dVk
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-28-2011, 03:58 AM
Can't sleep and it's oh-dark-hundred and not likely to happen anyway, so... A little "rational exuberance":
ELT's "Ambivalence"
Not specifically rip-snortin' rock, but I stumbled across this tune about a month ago and like it lots.

"Waiter...can you stop that noise? What you call 'music.' It sounds like dirty water. How can they eat food - and listen to ****?"
- Sabina (Lena Olin) in The Unbearable Lightness of Being
10-28-2011, 05:39 PM
(10-26-2011 02:01 PM)smoker guy Wrote:  Thanks to all the talk about HYF, I just recieved my copy in the mail and am now listening to it. It is like an electric jolt to my memory of growing up in NC. Thanks for turning back to this album.Cool

Isn't it beautiful? I read an interview wherein Geddy called it a "dark horse" in their catalog. Too many people blow it off, IMO. Prime Mover -- holy moley but I love that song! It just makes me happy. And I can even play it now Big Grin

(10-27-2011 04:08 PM)BrianW Wrote:  Genesis - Three Sides Live - very loud.
The fourth side featuring older material is priceless.

Crank up the bass for Los Endos, baby!! Woo Hoo!

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!
10-28-2011, 07:18 PM
I dated the creepy-hot brunette in high school...
Ok... maybe not, but I did date A creepy brunette in high school.

Bucket list item: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD3VsesSB...re=related
Turn it up.

Most of us are so caught up in life that we forget to live it.
10-28-2011, 08:10 PM
RE: TFE/Dog Years...what does "with his tail between his ears" really mean? Huh

I do agree with the "we get it backwards and our seven years goes by like one". Tempus is certainly fugiting for me lately!

Love and respect...
Turn up the music and smile!
ASSTA Member
10-28-2011, 08:58 PM
(10-28-2011 05:39 PM)Scythe Matters Wrote:  Isn't it beautiful? I read an interview wherein Geddy called it a "dark horse" in their catalog. Too many people blow it off, IMO. Prime Mover -- holy moley but I love that song! It just makes me happy. And I can even play it now Big Grin

Exactly. HYF fell victim to that backlash against synths that was all the rage in the late '80s (and just look what that got us in the '90s and '00s... Runge/GRap) - but it's easily some of the best work those guys ever did, and some of the most thoughtful and thought-provoking, even when the message halfways p*ssed me off (i.e., Second Nature.)

I don't know about anyone else, but generally speaking poetry bores me to tears - like the minute someone starts reciting it at me I start looking for wet paint or fresh sod to watch - and rock 'n' roll lyrics take the prize for some of the worst. OTOH, three of a very tiny list of poets I can not only enjoy but who move, excite and inspire me consistently are Mr. Peart, Ms. Bush and Mr. Gabriel. That little unassuming tune called Open Secrets from HYF remains one of the best things I've ever read, and that's not just sucking up.

Perhaps the major part of my love of HYF is that it came out just about the time ski season started, which meant that it was on pretty much constantly on the Walkman (remember those?) whilst I plunged wildly down the sides of Mt. Hood and Mt. Bachelor - as well as in the car on the way up and back. (My older bro latched onto that disc like a barnacle too, and he usually drove.)

'Long story short, if you have not used Hold Your Fire as your soundtrack for a day's skiing (actually night skiing is even better, preferably in near-blizzard conditions,) you have not really observed the album in its natural habitat. Shy

"Waiter...can you stop that noise? What you call 'music.' It sounds like dirty water. How can they eat food - and listen to ****?"
- Sabina (Lena Olin) in The Unbearable Lightness of Being
10-28-2011, 09:26 PM
(10-28-2011 08:10 PM)CanyonDancer Wrote:  RE: TFE/Dog Years...what does "with his tail between his ears" really mean? Huh

I do agree with the "we get it backwards and our seven years goes by like one". Tempus is certainly fugiting for me lately!

I'm not sure, I own a goof of a Malamute whose tail curls, or it means someone with his head up his...well you get the rest.

I'm taking a ride with my best friend...I hope he never lets me down again.
10-28-2011, 10:27 PM
That's kinda sorta what I figured, but I just wanted some back up....

pun intended! Smile

Love and respect...
Turn up the music and smile!
ASSTA Member
10-29-2011, 02:22 AM
Well, I don't ski but I will attest to HYF being a great soundtrack for a nice walk. Smile

I agree completely about the lyrics: they include some of Bubba's best (not sucking up either - honest!). Second Nature is pretty darned terrific but I keep being disappointed when I realize that some of us ARE insensitive nowadays. However, I know perfect's still not for real. My favorite lyrics on HYF are High Water. The first time I heard it, I had to put down what I was working on because my eyes had filled. I'd thought I was the only one who felt that way, "... the water takes me home..." When I go snorkeling that's exactly how I feel. I do hear the wordless voices... but that may just be my fishie buddies. I actually made a video with my Hawai'i footage, both under and above the water, to this song. I'm not sure if I should post it here. I'd love for ya'll to see it. But I don't want to get in trouble, sayin'?

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!