Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
What are you listening to?
01-28-2011, 07:19 AM (This post was last modified: 01-28-2011 07:20 AM by Boomer.)
RE: What are you listening to?
That is totally cool Dan - thanks for sharing!

I seem to remember hearing Bob say that. I saw him in 1987 right after "Like a Rock" came out. I think the Georgia Satellites were opening, but eveybody wanted Bob out singing. What a thrill, because all those songs I grew up with were coming out and I could feel them deep down. What a night.

That last pic looks like one happy family!!!

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-28-2011, 08:00 AM
We saw him a bunch of times over the years. Some great summer nights at Pine Knob (local outdoor shed)

That picture, Me, Arlene and Liz. Yeah we were happy to be there! AGAIN! Smile

Oh, When Seger was there in 2006, They were filming for a DVD. During Turn The Page Liz and I both screamed out at the beginning. I hope they release the DVD some day. Rumor has it that it was recorded digitally and some bonehead corrupted the entire file. It may be lost forever. That is the reason he is coming back, so he can finally put out a DVD. (rumor).

I eat, therefor I am.

2011 Ironman Lake Placid - Finisher
Find all posts by this user
01-28-2011, 02:59 PM
It is great to have been present at a concert that becomes a live album. I remember listening to ATWAS and Exit and wishing I could have been there.

Back in ’97 there was a concert that I was sure I was going to miss that night. I had no tickets and had to be at work late that day, it was hopeless. Then, while at my job, I was suddenly told I could leave early and go home. I called my girlfriend, who was going shopping at the grocery store, and told her to, just for the heck of it, check for tickets (there was a ticketmaster there at the store). Thought maybe we could get a couple on the lawn. When I got home, boy was I surprised to learn she was able to get 21st row in the center section, and this was on the day of the show!

But the World Amphitheater in Tinley Park, IL was quite a ways away, about a 2 hour drive, and there wasn’t much time until the show started. It was going to be close. I remember jumping into my ’74 Dodge Charger and driving as fast as I could down the I-294 expressway, and the 340 V8 delivered. We pulled in a little late, and the boys were playing Limelight as we parked and hurried in to our seats. It ended up being a really great show, seen from pretty decent seats, and it was made all the better because it was a spur of the moment surprise that I was there at all.

And later the live album “Different Stages” came out, most of which was recorded at that show, and I was there.Smile
----------------------------------------------------

P.S. And here is the actual "Charger in the garage" that got me there, I do miss it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh_6_4vArDA

Well-weathered leather, hot metal and oil, the scented country air..
Find all posts by this user
01-28-2011, 03:17 PM
Ok Rey - toyin with my emotions. Thats one of my all time fav muscle cars, even though the suspension was total crap on it. I just loved the loook of them, with the back end jacked a bit.

Cool story - too bad I dont have anywhar near that kind of luck.

01-28-2011, 05:34 PM
Quote:And later the live album “Different Stages” came out, most of which was recorded at that show, and I was there.

I was at the NEC when A show of hands was made!

I wrote to Bubba at that show - and about nine months later he sent me a postcard. You can probably imagine the feeling of "high" seing Bubba waving over his Tama on your door mat. The post card was absolutely perfect too, like the posty knew not to mess it up.

Living the dream over here in Blighty
01-28-2011, 05:54 PM
(01-28-2011 05:34 PM)NWoBHM Wrote:  
Quote:And later the live album “Different Stages” came out, most of which was recorded at that show, and I was there.

I was at the NEC when A show of hands was made!

I wrote to Bubba at that show - and about nine months later he sent me a postcard. You can probably imagine the feeling of "high" seing Bubba waving over his Tama on your door mat. The post card was absolutely perfect too, like the posty knew not to mess it up.

You must have some sort of IN with Bubba - he never returned my letter.

Of course, if I were him....I probably wouldn't return it either!!

01-28-2011, 06:09 PM
I was lucky Boomer - I was one of the last to get a card before Bubba "called it a day" in Modern Drummer - about the secret being out and because of "fiddly fingers" or something like that he couldnt continue "putting back" by replying to everyone. I really hope I was not the "fiddly fingered one who screwed it up for everyone"

I was in a very bad place with drumming when I wrote to him, (a bit like telling a Priest you have lost faith I guess), I think in my letter I asked for approval, encouragement etc to my drum solo, he wrote back saying "I approve and encourage" "Happy Drumming". Can you imagine??

I would be happy to share if people thought it appropriate - Look to Administrators/Brutus etc for whether this would be right.

Best,

Tim

01-29-2011, 10:25 AM
I'd probably leave that one alone for now. No sense in stirring the rules up.

In retrospect, mine was much different. I normally do not write folks much. Even my parents wonder why I dont write them a Howdy Doodie every oncee in awhile. This was something I just felt compelled to do. Reasons weren't really important at the time, nor are they now. What matters ishe is safe sound able to take on nourishment, and all that other happy stuff. I am sure he knows. Thats "faith enough for me".

01-29-2011, 12:40 PM
Quote:I'd probably leave that one alone for now. No sense in stirring the rules up.

You got it.Smile

01-31-2011, 01:22 PM
Quote:I was just a young kid in the stands. It was my first concert ever. The hippies behind me gave me some pot, that was also a first. During the slow song Turn The Page, I was standing on my seat screaming

Hi Dan - Wow - what a moment - brilliant! I like the bit on the Gary Moore album is it "We Want Moore" when he says "we`re recording this tonight - so if you want your session fees you had better make some noise"