Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Wine / Beer Club
05-31-2010, 01:56 PM
Wine / Beer Club
My wife started a wine tasting club about a year ago, involving a wide assortment of friends, with a wide assortment of tastes.
It's a quick, easy and relatively inexpensive way to sample lots of new stuff ... and figure out what you like / don't like without having to buy a dozen bottles to locate something that you truly like.

Has anyone else done this?

Most of us are so caught up in life that we forget to live it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-31-2010, 05:34 PM
RE: Wine / Beer Club
Not as of yet, but maybe we should try to form one here? How about we pick out a wine each week, or every other, preferably under the $15 mark Wink, and share our thoughts? We could also do this with beer?

Whaddaya think?
06-01-2010, 07:04 PM (This post was last modified: 06-01-2010 08:11 PM by Mufasa.)
Fozzie - I think the problem we will run into is trying to agree on a wine to choose.
I know that there are a wide variety of preferred tastes in the room; that being said, I'll offer this:

Most recently tasted:
14 Hands Merlot (blend) / 2007 / Washington State
$10.00 average
dark cherry, oak, floral,
not a lot of tannin... and not a lot of body.
smooth finish - (nearly none except for the cherry)
Very drinkable but not necessarily what I would pick with my T-Bone... but ok if it was the only one available.

* on a side note; I cannot handle extremely dry wines. If dust flies off of the cork when you pop it - my bride will probably like it, but I simply don't... I like the softer, cherry, floral, low tannin stuff that doesn't make me want to reach for a glass of water when I taste it.

06-02-2010, 12:54 AM
(06-01-2010 07:04 PM)Mufasa Wrote:  Fozzie - I think the problem we will run into is trying to agree on a wine to choose.
I know that there are a wide variety of preferred tastes in the room; that being said, I'll offer this:

Most recently tasted:
14 Hands Merlot (blend) / 2007 / Washington State
$10.00 average
dark cherry, oak, floral,
not a lot of tannin... and not a lot of body.
smooth finish - (nearly none except for the cherry)
Very drinkable but not necessarily what I would pick with my T-Bone... but ok if it was the only one available.

* on a side note; I cannot handle extremely dry wines. If dust flies off of the cork when you pop it - my bride will probably like it, but I simply don't... I like the softer, cherry, floral, low tannin stuff that doesn't make me want to reach for a glass of water when I taste it.

Yeah Mufasa,

After I posted this, I started thinking about availability also. People may not be able to get the same wines in different parts of the country. I'm with you, sometimes it's hard to appreciate some of the flavors in a wine when you're battling harsh tannins. Usually if the bottle ages for several years, these begin to clear up. I haven't gotten very deep into the world of Cab Sav because I typically run into pretty heavy tannins that my palate just hasn't adjusted to yet.

In good time I guess.
06-02-2010, 04:07 PM (This post was last modified: 06-02-2010 04:08 PM by Mufasa.)
Fozzie - years ago, (read that as young, single, self-destructive, etc) I went through a GREAT number of wines from pretty much anywhere that my pal at the local shop offered for me to try. One thing I learned is that just because a bottle of wine costs more than "that" bottle over there - does NOT mean that I will like it $20 worth more!

A friend opened a bottle of Chateauneuf du pape (sp?) one Saturday on Tybee Beach, and that one opened my eyes to the possibilities of "really good" French wine. Everything I had tried up to that point had left me (for their prices) unimpressed.
(Keep in mind that I was probably, ohhhh... nineteen or twenty at the time)
Thank goodness Cali wineries had the good sense to stick with it, and challenge the rest of the world for a piece of the (glass?) otherwise, we would be paying far more for our Chilean... and everything else. Competition - goooood.
Speaking of Cali wineries: "Big Dog Wineries / Cabernet Sauvignon - 2009 tonight. Report forthcoming!

06-02-2010, 04:39 PM
Well, you can use an empty or full bottle of wine or beer as a club. Fuller ones are better, there's more mass impacting your intended victim.

Oh... not that sort of club... nevermind...

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
06-02-2010, 05:17 PM (This post was last modified: 06-02-2010 05:18 PM by Mufasa.)
(06-02-2010 04:39 PM)old honda rider Wrote:  Well, you can use an empty or full bottle of wine or beer as a club. Fuller ones are better, there's more mass impacting your intended victim.

Oh... not that sort of club... nevermind...

OHR -
You reminded me of something my older brother told me years ago : "Don't pick a fight with an old fart... they'll just shoot you."

02-21-2011, 05:17 PM
Thought I would wake this one up again.
I popped the cork on a HUGE flagon of Frontera Chard / 2009 (Chilean)
Eees gooooood.

Grabbed a few slices of Monterrey Jack and honey ham.... yeah baby!

02-22-2011, 08:36 AM
Here is a wine I tried recently that entertained my palate:

KEINT-HE - Pinot Meunier (Canadian - Prince Edward County)

Love the unique limestone mineral flavour mixed with a rich plum and cherry. I would pair it with beef and spicy dishes.

FAITH is fear and doubt standing in HOPE. Angel
02-22-2011, 07:04 PM
(02-22-2011 08:36 AM)State of Grace Wrote:  Here is a wine I tried recently that entertained my palate:

KEINT-HE - Pinot Meunier (Canadian - Prince Edward County)

Love the unique limestone mineral flavour mixed with a rich plum and cherry. I would pair it with beef and spicy dishes.

Wow - have I got a lot to learn. I have never even heard of Pinot Meunier before.

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user