Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
The Bandit
06-12-2010, 05:04 PM (This post was last modified: 06-12-2010 05:08 PM by Neilbubbachuck.)
The Bandit
The Bandits continue to outwit us all, at least for me they do. Don't be fooled, they come in many shapes and forms.

I remember reading Neil's accounts in dealing with his many robustious group of teenagers. My grandfather and I studied Neil's antidotes with great expectations. And I must say that most of the rebellion has moved on as a result. But we never saw it coming, the disobedient ones called in air support. The day that Mr. and Mrs. Pileated Woodpecker moved in, changed my life forever. No one believed me when I said that these two, mostly the Mr. Pileated wrecked my truck, my car, my dog house, my car port and roof. He even gave me a sleeping disorder. I've called my insurance company and they think I am trying to pull a fast one on them. One rep even called me insane! Stating, "birds dont do that kind of stuff Hahahahhahahahahaha you must have a curse".
Thanks I do now.

The Pileated's have moved it appears, for now. But it was not easy. A 38 blank pistol did the trick it seems. And it only took 50 to 100 rounds a day, for a month. My neighbors are family members and they didnt talk to me for a season. Only because I found where the Pileated's slept at night. And kept the royal Pileated's awake for hours with sporadic gun fire. Yes the cops were called. " Was'nt me officer, some drunk guy I think".

That was then.......
But now the squirrles have once again invaded my bird feeders. The bird feeders are positioned on a cable between two trees. Obviously the squirrles walk the cable and ravage the food.

Is it fair to coat the cable in a mega thick coat of axel grease?

Does anyone have these kind of problems?

Don't talk smack about Total!!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-15-2010, 03:27 PM (This post was last modified: 06-15-2010 03:32 PM by Neilbubbachuck.)
RE: The Bandit
(06-12-2010 05:04 PM)Neilbubbachuck Wrote:  The Bandits continue to outwit us all, at least for me they do. Don't be fooled, they come in many shapes and forms.

I remember reading Neil's accounts in dealing with his many robustious group of teenagers. My grandfather and I studied Neil's antidotes with great expectations. And I must say that most of the rebellion has moved on as a result. But we never saw it coming, the disobedient ones called in air support. The day that Mr. and Mrs. Pileated Woodpecker moved in, changed my life forever. No one believed me when I said that these two, mostly the Mr. Pileated wrecked my truck, my car, my dog house, my car port and roof. He even gave me a sleeping disorder. I've called my insurance company and they think I am trying to pull a fast one on them. One rep even called me insane! Stating, "birds dont do that kind of stuff Hahahahhahahahahaha you must have a curse".
Thanks I do now.

The Pileated's have moved it appears, for now. But it was not easy. A 38 blank pistol did the trick it seems. And it only took 50 to 100 rounds a day, for a month. My neighbors are family members and they didnt talk to me for a season. Only because I found where the Pileated's slept at night. And kept the royal Pileated's awake for hours with sporadic gun fire. Yes the cops were called. " Was'nt me officer, some drunk guy I think".

That was then.......
But now the squirrles have once again invaded my bird feeders. The bird feeders are positioned on a cable between two trees. Obviously the squirrles walk the cable and ravage the food.

Is it fair to coat the cable in a mega thick coat of axel grease?

Does anyone have these kind of problems?

Ok its been a couple days of peace. I have been able to watch my birds eat in peace and recover a bit. Some Little, nice normal size woodpeckers have moved in. Woods and cardnials usually doninate my suet cages and bird feeders.
The grease was doing a fine job keeping the squirrels off the metal cables (suspending my feeders between trees). But today a empty opened suet cage was found on the ground beneath the cable and my blood pressure when through the roof. A sure sign of an invading squirrel. Back to the drawing board, and no more grease.
Maybe I will run the cable through a small section of cooper pipe on both sides of the feeders. My hope is that this will act much like a , big tree log flouting down the river? Try and walk on that Mr. squirrel.
Why cant the Squirrels be happy with the bread that I altruistically provide them from my window sill.

Any ideas on how to feed my innocent birds with out being molested by invading sqirrels is welcomed. Tongue

06-15-2010, 04:27 PM
(06-15-2010 03:27 PM)Neilbubbachuck Wrote:  Any ideas on how to feed my innocent birds with out being molested by invading sqirrels is welcomed. Tongue
I did a little bit of Google searching on this but none of the sites I saw had anything other than the greased pole. I suppose a shotgun would work, but that might disturb the neighbours and irritate the local constabulary.

Curious, though, why you put feed out for the birds in the summer. Unless you're living in the Sahara or Gobi desert, there should be plenty around for them to eat. In the winter when foraging is difficult, I can understand. But in the summer?

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
06-16-2010, 04:13 AM
(06-15-2010 04:27 PM)old honda rider Wrote:  [quote='Neilbubbachuck' pid='2173' dateline='1276637277']Any ideas on how to feed my innocent birds with out being molested by invading sqirrels is welcomed. Tongue
I did a little bit of Google searching on this but none of the sites I saw had anything other than the greased pole. I suppose a shotgun would work, but that might disturb the neighbours and irritate the local constabulary.

Curious, though, why you put feed out for the birds in the summer. Unless you're living in the Sahara or Gobi desert, there should be plenty around for them to eat. In the winter when foraging is difficult, I can understand. But in the summer?
[/qu

Believe me, I have enough problems with the antichuck storm trooper fuzz units, don't need any more. So no more shots fired calls.

Feeder in the summer? Well that is an intresting question that I have not actually thought of. Perhaps out of selfishness? Tell you the truth, I thought everyone fed birds all year around with backyard bird feeders.
Having said that, is there any harmful impact that feeding a few birds throughout the season may have? Most certainly I care more for the birds than my own intrests.
Ya the grease idea was mean, so I cancelled that plan.

charles

06-16-2010, 02:06 PM
If you thought the greased thing was mean, look at what someone else invented:

Squirrel catapult

06-16-2010, 02:12 PM
(06-16-2010 02:06 PM)nettiesaur Wrote:  If you thought the greased thing was mean, look at what someone else invented:

Squirrel catapult
I have GOT to get me one of those!!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
06-16-2010, 03:29 PM
(06-16-2010 02:06 PM)nettiesaur Wrote:  If you thought the greased thing was mean, look at what someone else invented:

Squirrel catapult

That is so wrong lol. Did you see the squirrel's tail flair up as to say, game on buddy!
Haha chasing him with a stick, I know the squirrel is thinking " is this kid serious"....
thanks for the laughSmile

06-18-2010, 07:31 PM
I know that is so wrong, but its so good!

We used to have a couple bird feeders in our back yard, but between the deer, squirrels, and other such varmints, I was having a hard time keeping seed around. I want to have more cardinals in our yard, but the critters keep hogging the seed I put out. I particularly enjoy the cardinals singing while I grill. They make such wonderful music at dinner time!

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-19-2010, 04:03 AM
(06-18-2010 07:31 PM)boomer Wrote:  I know that is so wrong, but its so good!

We used to have a couple bird feeders in our back yard, but between the deer, squirrels, and other such varmints, I was having a hard time keeping seed around. I want to have more cardinals in our yard, but the critters keep hogging the seed I put out. I particularly enjoy the cardinals singing while I grill. They make such wonderful music at dinner time!

Cardinals are one of my favorites. They bring me peace every time I get the chance to watch them. And another grand prize of my property is the Asio Flammeus. My short eared owl. At least I believe it is the Asio Flammeus. Very rare I am told. I am trying to capture it on film and will pass it along if I am able too.
Ive bout given up with the squirrels. But I laugh my butt off watching them leap from the trees to the feeders. It is unreal the distances they fly, usually crashing violently. Then they will run off making that high pitch nag sound they make.

06-19-2010, 09:17 AM
(06-19-2010 04:03 AM)Neilbubbachuck Wrote:  
(06-18-2010 07:31 PM)boomer Wrote:  I know that is so wrong, but its so good!

Cardinals are one of my favorites. They bring me peace every time I get the chance to watch them. And another grand prize of my property is the Asio Flammeus. My short eared owl. At least I believe it is the Asio Flammeus. Very rare I am told. I am trying to capture it on film and will pass it along if I am able too.
Ive bout given up with the squirrels. But I laugh my butt off watching them leap from the trees to the feeders. It is unreal the distances they fly, usually crashing violently. Then they will run off making that high pitch nag sound they make.

We mostly have blue jays at our house. One year, I did have several finches in my pear tree. Until last year, I regularly set food out for the neighborhood birds........until one of our cats caught a hummingbird. I stopped setting out birdseed after that because I realized that what I was really doing was setting up a buffet for our cats. The squirrels around here seem to have received the memo about the cats and they keep their distance Smile

A party without cake is really just a meeting
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user