Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Tips on BBQ, Grilling and Smoking
08-21-2010, 09:21 PM (This post was last modified: 08-21-2010 09:28 PM by Flazer.)
RE: Tips on BBQ, Grilling and Smoking
[Couple of things: If you can get it, try a cut of pork called a Boston Butt.
[/quote]

Amen, brother. The first thing I ever did low and slow was a butt (or pork shoulder, or picnic roast, or any of the other names). It's tasty meat, and it's cheap - I can get it on sale for $0.99/lb sometimes.

I rub my butts with mustard (plain old yellow), then whatever pork rub I'm using at the time. I've messed around with cutting under the fat cap (to make a flap), then poking holes and stuffing garlic inside too.

Anyway, I try to keep 225-250 for the 6-9 hours it takes to cook a 6-8 lb butt. I cook to 196 internal, then wrap the butt in foil and an old bath towel and let it rest in an ice chest for about an hour (and up to four). When ready to eat, I "pull" (shred) it with hands or forks, then serve it on plain white buns or just by itself on a plate. I serve sauce(s) on the side, but to each their own.

Due to differences in fat content, each butt cooks at its own pace - cook to temp, not to time.

It's really hard to screw up, everybody loves it, and you it freezes well.

I also like to get pork "steaks" cut from this same cut - super easy (and quick) to cook - just as hard to screw up as the whole butt.

Here's a slick set up that's cheap and easy to do. I haven't tried it yet, but it seems like a great idea if you want to smoke meat without spending hundreds of dollars on a smoker.

I'm sure the recipe he has for the pork butt is awesome as well. It's all available on the food network website under pulled pork and Alton Brown.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/pulled...32468.html
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-28-2011, 07:33 PM
I've never used charcoal and should give that a try. I've always used dried maple hardwood collected from the bush behind my house. A small hatchet to get a decent pile of smaller pieces then roll up my old steel wheelbarrow -which has now retired from years of heavy lifting to be my portable barbecue - I fashioned a grill and hinged cover. And boy can she handle the meat (just stay away from waygu - the last time I grilled that I almost had the fire brigrade hose down my house). Best of all, I'll roll her over to the ash pit, little flip of the wrist and she's good to go for the next occasion. I love her and it keeps new guests mildly entertained when there's a pause in the conversation.

Only problem is, it takes a while to get the maple into coals...so I'm usually done the first bottle of vino before the meat gets to fire. Ah screw it...that ain't a problem...love the ritual! Just gotta time it a bit better.

I find I get a fantastic smoke flavour as is..not too strong. I'll occasionally throw a few small pieces of green apple tree in there- as it seems to be a local thing- but I've never really tasted any noticeable effect. Only benefit is my guests think they are in for something really special..and thats all that matters! One other thing I do is add barberians steak spice bought from a great little steak house in Toronto beats the montreal stuff hands down!.

Cheers and good health
04-03-2011, 09:34 AM
I'm thinking of getting a smoker soon - not looking for a big investment at the moment, so the cheap one from the big orange HW box store sill do for now - If I really get into it, then I'd look into somehting bigger and better for next time.
I don't really eat pork, so any advice about smoking other meats? Beef, of course, does chicken work? and has anyone tried doing fish?
THX.
04-06-2011, 10:22 AM
love our grill, but agree that the smoked stuff is just soooo tastee.... so thinking about that type of pruchase for this year as well... glad to know there are some resonable ones out there! WOOOWHOOOO
04-06-2011, 02:10 PM
Jr42,
Hope your smoking is going well.
If you're not into pork try beef brisket, full chickens (easier for the 1st timer than pieces I think) or one of my family faves--salmon with dill/butter/lemon juice--very simple and o so good!
04-18-2011, 09:25 PM
BBQing steaks... BEST marinade EVAH!!!!

Soy Sherry Marinade

1/2 cup sherry (NOT cooking sherry... gross)
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 olive oil
2 Tbs hot sauce
2 Tbs dijon mustard

Mix it up, and save a little to baste during grilling. Marinade the steaks for an hour at room temp. However, overnight in the fridge is best, I've found.

One of the most fragrant and incredibly flavorful marinades I've ever used. Enjoy!

"Wine is bottled poetry."
Robert Louis Stevenson
04-19-2011, 02:47 AM (This post was last modified: 04-19-2011 07:38 AM by smoker guy.)
Here`s a tip l picked up from one of my smoker buds, spray meat with apple juice evry 1/2 hr. to hr., depending on taste. I also brine and found the brine Bubba used on his Thanksgiving Turkey worked great on my Christmas Ribs(my avatar is me on Christmas day smoking the ribs.Big Grin). l also am a Gates BBQ sauce(hot) addict...thanks BubbaBig Grin!

I'm taking a ride with my best friend...I hope he never lets me down again.
04-19-2011, 06:26 AM
A simple brine, hot coals and hickory. For ribs I use paprika, chili powder and a mix of pepper, black, red, white, green what ever I can find. Ribs and briskets and hickory chips. Sounds like a Garrison Keeler bit eh!

"Listen...Jump on a moonbeam and rise, ride it, glide it all the way"