Fellow Insomniacs?
07-02-2010, 04:07 AM
RE: Fellow Insomniacs?
Been up since 2 a.m.Undecided
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-02-2010, 07:34 PM
Mine started about 4 years ago when the boss I had worked for (been friends with and had complete trust in) for 9 years turned corrupt in order to score a promotion with the new head honcho. I was told to stop putting out the agency newsletter (we don't want people knowing TOO much), not to help our employees take care of benefit problems, and to mail out our years of service plaques to retiring employees with their last checks (no more coffee & cake on their last day for people that had invested 30 years or more in our agency). My boss also eliminated our leave donation program (which cost our agency nothing, and would have kept my co-worker from losing her house when she had a catastrophic illness), and made getting FMLA leave almost impossible. She actually said "the only reward people are going to get from me is a paycheck". She sold her soul for a lousy extra ten grand a year.

Sleep came only after 2-4 hours of tossing and turning, and usually lasted 2-3 hours. I started throwing up before I had to go to work in the morning. Jobs were hard to come by,and I needed to keep my insurance for our special needs child.
If my MD hadn't prescribed Trazadone, I would have lost my mind from lack of sleep.

Too late to make a long story short, but the topper came when I was ordered not to pay any overtime or give comp time to people that worked over 40 hours (flagrantly illegal, and my boss knew it.) I refused, and my boss brought me up on charges. As my boss served as "prosecutor" and she also appointed the "judge", who also worked for her, I knew I was screwed. Fortunately, I found a job before the hearing was scheduled, so I was able to tell my boss where to put her hearing notice.

The road since has not always been easy, but when sleep starts going away, a Trazadone at night really helps.

Happy ending: My agency was busted by the DOL for cheating staff out of OT, and fined a huge amount. And I can still look at myself in the mirror.

Sorry for the TMI.

SID

"There is nothing noble about being superior to your fellow man. TRUE nobility lies in being superior to your former self."
07-03-2010, 10:53 AM
(07-02-2010 07:34 PM)SID Wrote:  Mine started about 4 years ago when the boss I had worked for (been friends with and had complete trust in) for 9 years turned corrupt in order to score a promotion with the new head honcho. I was told to stop putting out the agency newsletter (we don't want people knowing TOO much), not to help our employees take care of benefit problems, and to mail out our years of service plaques to retiring employees with their last checks (no more coffee & cake on their last day for people that had invested 30 years or more in our agency). My boss also eliminated our leave donation program (which cost our agency nothing, and would have kept my co-worker from losing her house when she had a catastrophic illness), and made getting FMLA leave almost impossible. She actually said "the only reward people are going to get from me is a paycheck". She sold her soul for a lousy extra ten grand a year.

Sleep came only after 2-4 hours of tossing and turning, and usually lasted 2-3 hours. I started throwing up before I had to go to work in the morning. Jobs were hard to come by,and I needed to keep my insurance for our special needs child.
If my MD hadn't prescribed Trazadone, I would have lost my mind from lack of sleep.

Too late to make a long story short, but the topper came when I was ordered not to pay any overtime or give comp time to people that worked over 40 hours (flagrantly illegal, and my boss knew it.) I refused, and my boss brought me up on charges. As my boss served as "prosecutor" and she also appointed the "judge", who also worked for her, I knew I was screwed. Fortunately, I found a job before the hearing was scheduled, so I was able to tell my boss where to put her hearing notice.

The road since has not always been easy, but when sleep starts going away, a Trazadone at night really helps.

Happy ending: My agency was busted by the DOL for cheating staff out of OT, and fined a huge amount. And I can still look at myself in the mirror.

Sorry for the TMI.

SID

"There is nothing noble about being superior to your fellow man. TRUE nobility lies in being superior to your former self."
Good for you. I think this kind of BS in the workplace happens a lot. You have to stand by what you believe , even if the BIG MONEY tests your integrity. Honesty and Fairness will prevail (it has to). Maybe a nice warm bath and warm glass of milk before bedtime will help? Best of luck to you, Sid.

"Hope is what remains to be seen."- Bubba
07-03-2010, 11:08 AM
I have gotten about 12 hours of sleep in the past 3 days. Just can't stay sleeping. Been going to bed at 11 or 12 and waking up at 4.
07-23-2010, 09:26 AM
Never had a problem until I got this new job (and turned the 40 mark); too much on my little mind...
-no more coffee after 6pm
-no more thinking about work until I arrive at the office
-"whatever is good, positive, pure, wonderful, etc-think on these"
-prayer

These are just a few weapons in my arsenal.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-26-2010, 02:33 AM
Information RE: Fellow Insomniacs?
[quote='Laffitupfzbl' pid='2305' dateline='1277265808']
Just doing a roll-call of all us non-sleeping Bubba Heads.

Tiffer present and accounted for.

yeap! Here I am burning the midnight oil.......
07-26-2010, 03:39 AM
(07-26-2010 02:33 AM)nobulliesallowed Wrote:  [quote='Laffitupfzbl' pid='2305' dateline='1277265808']
Just doing a roll-call of all us non-sleeping Bubba Heads.

Tiffer present and accounted for.

yeap! Here I am burning the midnight oil.......

Charliecheese can't sleep! But I'm so tired that this could possibly be a dream.

Don't talk smack about Total!!
07-27-2010, 12:19 AM
I'm feeling tired I'm feeling tired I'm feeling tired I'm feeling tired.....
Tommorrow is a motocross day at Broome-Tioga sports Center. And I just dropped a grand in my suspensionDodgy so I need to get some sleep so I can test it out. Maybe I'll watch Cops and get up the courage to wheelie past a deputy running radar on route 79. I sleep better in jail anywayTongue

08-27-2010, 12:18 PM
Ok - I'm back online after a month's lapse. Been too busy to think. Plus, I was sleeping pretty well, if you can believe that. But that's back off now. I was taking new meds for the menopause - and they worked REALLY well for about two weeks, but now I'm used to them so I'm back up overnights. Tired? Try some estrogen!
08-27-2010, 01:11 PM
(08-27-2010 12:18 PM)Laffitupfzbl Wrote:  Ok - I'm back online after a month's lapse. Been too busy to think. Plus, I was sleeping pretty well, if you can believe that. But that's back off now. I was taking new meds for the menopause - and they worked REALLY well for about two weeks, but now I'm used to them so I'm back up overnights. Tired? Try some estrogen!

Maybe that's what I need, some medsBig Grin
I've been sleeping better also. I got my first playstation 3 the other day. Oh boy! A world that I've missed. I am working on "killzone 2". My mind is so overloaded after an hour of playing that game, I just pass out. Perfect!