Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Cheater desserts
06-30-2010, 11:25 AM
Cheater desserts
I find that I enjoy having dinner guests so much more if I don't have to worry about dessert, but I hate plopping a bakery pie down on the table. I came up with this shortcut, but I think everyone I know has eaten it at least twice. Looks super fancy, but it's easy and even the kids like it. They say it tastes like an ice cream cone. Need a new cheater dessert, similar in non-effort to this:

The Weapon
-Pre-made crepes
-Simply Fruit (blackberry)
-French vanilla ice cream
-chocolate sauce
-garnishes

Spread the crepes with Simply Fruit and roll or fold, top or stuff with scoop of ice cream and drizzle with chocolate sauce. Garnish with chopped mint leaves, berries, Nilla wafers, mini chocolate chips, etc. The crepes may also be shaped and baked into cups or cones and cooled for presentation.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-30-2010, 04:44 PM
RE: Cheater desserts
Wish I could help... My idea of 'cheater desserts' are: boxed cake mix with canned frosting or pie filling in a can with pillsbury pre-made pie crusts...
06-30-2010, 09:40 PM (This post was last modified: 06-30-2010 09:42 PM by Nettie.)
you need those little filo dessert cups(2 boxes), 1 can of blueberry and 1 can of cherry pie filling,or whatever pie filling you like, and a can of whipped cream.
Thaw the filo cups as directed, spoon in the pie filling(1 kind in each cup), and top with a squirt of whipped cream. Mini pies, real cute on a buffet.

Or sprinkle flour tortillas with cinnamon and sugar, then bake in the oven until crispy.

Or for kids, frost graham cracker to make a sandwich cookie.

Or frost 2 individual cookies(crispy ones) and put together to make a sandwich cookie

Unwrap a box of Rice Krispie treats and cut in half, and place on a tray.Then claim that you made them.(my niece did that, very funny) You could do that with any cereal bar. For an "I made them" look, drizzle with melted chocolate.

06-30-2010, 10:24 PM
My Gramps Cherry Pie

premade Graham cracker crust
1 can cherry pie filling
frozen whipped cream.

Can't get much simpler and it really is a great piece of pie.
07-01-2010, 02:24 PM
I really chuckled when I read the words 'great piece of pie' for some reason. It sounds kinda dirty!

Thanks for the suggestions! Having some folks over this weekend. I'll whip some of these up, plus this newbie I found in Woman's Day:

Large Pretzel sticks
White or dark chocolate chips
Red/White/Blue sprinkles
Large metal bucket of M&Ms

- Melt the chocolate chips
- Dip the pretzel sticks into the melted chocolate about 3/4 of the way up
- Allow pretzels to dry slightly, then sprinkle with sprinkles (HA!)
- Arrange the pretzels in the metal bucket of M&Ms to look like sparklers stuck in the ground

CUTE!
09-01-2010, 01:43 AM
Another go-to cheater dessert - and it's fairly low fat:

1 large box chocolate instant Jell-O pudding
1 container fat free Cool Whip
1 large round Angel Food Cake from the store bakery (or two small brick style ones)

Cube the Angel Food Cake, arrange in a layer on the bottom of a glass baking dish (13x9)
Prepare the Jell-O as directed on the package but do not chill
Spoon the Jell-O over the cubed Angel Food Cake and smooth
Top with Cool Whip and smooth out

People love it and come back for seconds and thirds. It's very rich and luscious. Mmmmmm!
09-21-2010, 10:58 AM
This is a good idea. My fiance just made me something she calls "rumble cakes." Basically as follows.

Pre made cookie dough
Brownie mix prepared from the box
"Craisins"

Combine and bake...sinfully delicious!
05-25-2011, 07:56 PM
My Mom used to make "surprise cake".

Use store-bought angel food cake or pound cake. Slice it and put it in the toaster. Keep an eye on it so it doesn't burn. When toasted, put the slice on a plate with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on it and drizzle chocolate sauce over it. YUM!

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
07-23-2012, 05:48 PM (This post was last modified: 07-23-2012 05:49 PM by Nettie.)
Cheater fruit tarts:
flat cookies(The blander, the better).
marshmallow cream
small berries(blueberry, raspberry, blackberry, strawberrry slices).

Spread the marshmallow cream on the cookies, and arrange a few berries on top of each cookie.

07-24-2012, 01:14 AM
Oh good idea! Maybe brulee the marshmallow, too?

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!