Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Turkey Burgers (Cooking disasters)
07-07-2010, 08:49 AM
Turkey Burgers (Cooking disasters)
OK, so the wife brought home turkey mince. Not knowing what to do with turkey mince, I thought I'd make a healthy alternative to beef hamburgers. Off I go and get the grill ready...

I typically for burgers just add pepper, salt and some honey and let them sit for an hour, then pop them onto the grill. However, the turkey mince was so runny, there would have been no way to grill them - the'yd just run right through the grill rack.

So, in a pinch, I had extra hamburger buns - I thought I'd just crumble them up and make the mixture hold together. And for good measure, I threw in an egg. I added my usual salt/pepper/honey and the mix seemed firm enough to hold together.

They grilled fine, but paranoid about undercooked fowl, I made sure they were really done. Nevertheless, the burgers held together and visually looked ok, but the smell seemed unusual. Not as nice as beef, but so far so good.

Then I ate one. They were the WORST burgers i ever had.

The breadcrumbs burned a little, adding an acrid taste to them. Drier than a fart in the sahara and generally a waste of €€ They sure were the healthy alternative to beef, since all I had was the side salad. Ha.

Anyone got a good recipe that includes turkey mince?

A thread about cooking disasters might also be interesting btw.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-07-2010, 10:14 PM
RE: Turkey Burgers (Cooking disasters)
(07-07-2010 08:49 AM)Judge Wrote:  OK, so the wife brought home turkey mince. Not knowing what to do with turkey mince, I thought I'd make a healthy alternative to beef hamburgers. Off I go and get the grill ready...

I typically for burgers just add pepper, salt and some honey and let them sit for an hour, then pop them onto the grill. However, the turkey mince was so runny, there would have been no way to grill them - the'yd just run right through the grill rack.

So, in a pinch, I had extra hamburger buns - I thought I'd just crumble them up and make the mixture hold together. And for good measure, I threw in an egg. I added my usual salt/pepper/honey and the mix seemed firm enough to hold together.

They grilled fine, but paranoid about undercooked fowl, I made sure they were really done. Nevertheless, the burgers held together and visually looked ok, but the smell seemed unusual. Not as nice as beef, but so far so good.

Then I ate one. They were the WORST burgers i ever had.

The breadcrumbs burned a little, adding an acrid taste to them. Drier than a fart in the sahara and generally a waste of €€ They sure were the healthy alternative to beef, since all I had was the side salad. Ha.

Anyone got a good recipe that includes turkey mince?

A thread about cooking disasters might also be interesting btw.

There's a turkey burger thread in the snacks and appetizers area.
However, I put salt, pepper, and garlic powder on my turkey burgers, but they are the premade kind.
Try using the turky burger(mince) in spaghetti sauce, or tacos instead of ground beef. It takes on the flavor of the sauce or the taco seasoning.

07-11-2010, 08:58 AM
Part of the problem with turkey is that it doesn't have enough fat to hold together. I usually add a little (as in about 1 Tablespoon/pound) of olive oil to help hold them together, and occasionally an egg. I use both egg and breadcrumbs (finely ground) only if I'm making the turkey into a meatloaf or meatballs. Spices pretty much vary, depending on my mood...garlic & basil, ginger & ponzu (a Japanese condiment), or whatever random concoction I happen to come up with at the time. Turkey is pretty flexible that way.

"Washington is a city of Southern efficiency and Northern charm." - JFK
07-11-2010, 07:37 PM
I have had the same problem, I have put all kinds of things in ground turkey to retain moisture and add flavor. I pre cook my turkey after I form them into patties before searing them on a grill, 15 minutes at 350 works great.

To be a firefighter, one can be a lot of things…except a coward.
07-15-2010, 08:50 AM
I remember my mom adding soup mix to turkey burgers...it definitely helped with the blandness.