Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Niagara Wineries - this could be an excellent year
07-07-2010, 04:06 PM
Niagara Wineries - this could be an excellent year
Those who are fans of wine from Ontario's Niagara Peninsula are very excited with the favourable weather we've had so far this year. Wife and I took a drive through wine country a few days ago, and the grapes are looking absolutely spectacular. If this basic weather pattern holds through September, we could be looking at one of the best vintages ever - up there with, or perhaps even better than 2007 (widely considered Ontario's best vintage ever).

Niagara wineries like Hillibrand, Peller Estates, Rief, Flat Rock and Vineland Estates consistently produce excellent rieslings. They aren't generally known for their reds, though when things do come together and we get the right weather (as we have this year), the reds can be utterly magnificent - particularly pinot noirs, cab francs and merlots.

If it stays hot, we will pre-order several cases of our favourites. The fantastic 2007 wines sell out as soon as they go on sale, and in some cases if you didn't pre-order, you're out of luck. Let's keep our fingers crossed the sun sticks around for a few more weeks.

Cheers
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-18-2011, 02:54 PM
RE: Niagara Wineries - this could be an excellent year
I'm heading out to Niagara on assignment this week to check out the Inniskillen Icewines - YUMMY!!! I'll post a review of this year's Ice-wines next week for anyone who might be interested.

If you've never tried Ice-wine you don't know what you're missing - SERIOUSLY!

Cheers!

FAITH is fear and doubt standing in HOPE. Angel
01-18-2011, 07:36 PM
Ohhh Ice-Wine such a sweet treat to sip ever so slowly!!!

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
01-18-2011, 09:25 PM
Sounds interesting!

Most of us are so caught up in life that we forget to live it.
01-18-2011, 09:35 PM
ICE WINE? Somebody edumakate me - I have nutta clue.

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-18-2011, 10:39 PM
That sounds interesting!

A party without cake is really just a meeting
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-19-2011, 06:30 AM
Isn't Ice wine more of a dessert wine?
01-19-2011, 09:34 AM
(01-18-2011 09:35 PM)boomer Wrote:  ICE WINE? Somebody edumakate me - I have nutta clue.

Here's a link that gives a really good overview of Ice-Wine:

Wines of Ontario - The Story of Ice Wine

It's expensive for a small amount but once you've sampled some you will totally understand why and be willing to pay the price! I even have Ice Wine lip gloss from a Niagara company that produces wine beauty products. The lip gloss is so yummy I want to kiss myself. Tongue

(01-19-2011 06:30 AM)RN-PRN Wrote:  Isn't Ice wine more of a dessert wine?

Yes, you are correct! It's classed as a dessert wine. Best brand in my humble opinion is Inniskillin from Niagara, Canada.

01-23-2011, 08:57 PM
I just picked up a bottle of ice wine over the weekend. It is chilling in the fridge and I will try it out next weekend. I will certainly let everyone know how it is Smile
01-26-2011, 07:57 AM
(01-23-2011 08:57 PM)RN-PRN Wrote:  I just picked up a bottle of ice wine over the weekend. It is chilling in the fridge and I will try it out next weekend. I will certainly let everyone know how it is Smile

Excellent! I hope you enjoy it RN-PRN... let me know what you think.

The Inniskillin shoot went really well! If you ever have an opportunity to visit this winery you will not be disappointed. The Vidal Ice Wine is luscious and the frozen grapes on the vine taste so magnificent. I sampled the same grapes a few months ago and they had more of a sour taste at that time. Due to the cold winter weather the same grapes now have a lovely sweetness from the concentrated sugars. The change is very noticeable.

I also picked up some Hot Pepper Ice Wine Jelly, it goes beautifully over a nice Brie accompanied by a glass of Ice Wine to sip on.

Cheers!