Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Brines
07-09-2010, 12:10 PM
Wink Brines
Lets talk brines, I brined my first Turkey last Thanksgiving "Awsome"
at this point I brine pork, chicken, turkey, everything except beef. I will list my recipe variation, if anyone has any additions or advice please feel free and let me know.
My Brine Recipe:
1 Gallon Water
1 Cup Salt / or Soy Sauce
1 Cup Sugar / 2 Cups Apple or Orange Juice
Lemon or Lime or Orange Zest
1/2 Cup All Spice
1/8 Cup Cloves
Herbs (fresh) your choice
1 Table Spoon Fresh Ginger
4 Cloves Crushed Fresh Garlic
This was the turkey recipe, it can be increased or decreased depending on the size of the meat product being brined. The turkey I used for Thanksgiving was brined over night (24) hours, chicken and pork is brined for a few hours, fish only gets an hour... The items I have made in this way are fantastic, I do not completely understand the science of this, but the results cannot be denied. Try it and you will see, send me any variations you may come across.

To be a firefighter, one can be a lot of things…except a coward.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-10-2010, 08:00 AM
RE: Brines
We brine everything as well. Mrs. 2Beers and I base most of our brines on water, salt and sugar. We have used Cherry Coke or Dr. Pepper for the sugar component and that works really well for pork. Kosher salt and various herbs finish out the brine. We are still experimenting with different ratios but we are getting pretty consistant results. Stand by for a recipie. gotta get the book of magic......
Wink

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
07-11-2010, 03:03 PM
Bubba and I both brined a turkey a while back and after comparing notes Bubba posted a recipe on the menu at Bubba's Bar 'n' Grill. Check it out and we hope it helps.

http://www.neilpeart.net/bng/turkey_daze.html

Sacred cows make the best hamburgers.

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughtnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, 'Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".'
07-11-2010, 06:21 PM (This post was last modified: 07-11-2010 06:26 PM by dw2112.)
(07-11-2010 03:03 PM)Brutus Wrote:  Bubba and I both brined a turkey a while back and after comparing notes Bubba posted a recipe on the menu at Bubba's Bar 'n' Grill. Check it out and we hope it helps.

Thanks I am in...
(07-10-2010 08:00 AM)2Beers Wrote:  We brine everything as well. Mrs. 2Beers and I base most of our brines on water, salt and sugar. We have used Cherry Coke or Dr. Pepper for the sugar component and that works really well for pork. Kosher salt and various herbs finish out the brine. We are still experimenting with different ratios but we are getting pretty consistant results. Stand by for a recipie. gotta get the book of magic......
Wink

2Beers, I tried BBQ pork chops brined in a mix of salt, water, and Dr. Pepper, really nice, I dont know why it works, it just does, thanks again, keep them comming. "Draw another goblet from the cask of '43"

07-11-2010, 07:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2JQoWB9PHs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-11-2010, 08:35 PM
Thanks "E" I sat 3rd row in Wis. fantastic, thanks.

11-16-2010, 08:53 PM
I’ve recently come across a recipe for dry-brining a turkey. It sounds less messy than the regular brining method and you don’t need all that refrigerator space, which is a definite plus for me, but I’m not certain that the result would be anywhere near the same.

I’ve been thinking about trying something new this year, but I’m a bit nervous about changing my tried and true roasting recipe. I was hoping that someone within the forum might have some experience with this method.

Anyway, I’d interested in anyone’s input, if you’d care to share…
11-16-2010, 09:08 PM
(07-11-2010 03:03 PM)Brutus Wrote:  Bubba and I both brined a turkey a while back and after comparing notes Bubba posted a recipe on the menu at Bubba's Bar 'n' Grill. Check it out and we hope it helps.

Thank you for posting that Brutus!!!! I saw that Saturday when my wife and I were discussing our holiday plans. I am not sure she is "quite" ready to try it, but slowly she is changing some of her ways so that I can take a more productive role in the dinner preps.

I would be curious to know how much to modify the brine? For instance, that seems like a bit of garlic to use (for me no, but for my girls - possibly). One recipe I saw insisted to boil the salt and water together first, as salt does not always dissolve that easily. Not sure I quite understand that one, but it was an old English recipe.

Who in their right mind "loathes" cilantro?

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-16-2010, 09:18 PM
Brines? Thought that was in the head of the turkey?

Don't talk smack about Total!!
11-16-2010, 09:25 PM
(11-16-2010 09:08 PM)boomer Wrote:  

Thank you for posting that Brutus!!!! I saw that Saturday when my wife and I were discussing our holiday plans. I am not sure she is "quite" ready to try it, but slowly she is changing some of her ways so that I can take a more productive role in the dinner preps.

I would be curious to know how much to modify the brine? For instance, that seems like a bit of garlic to use (for me no, but for my girls - possibly). One recipe I saw insisted to boil the salt and water together first, as salt does not always dissolve that easily. Not sure I quite understand that one, but it was an old English recipe.

Who in their right mind "loathes" cilantro?

Hey Boomer, to get past the salt disolving issue, you may want to try some Canning and Pickling salt. Its designed to disolve completely so maybe you can skip the boiling step.......?
Just thinking via the keyboard....Big Grin

"Life ain't like books.
Books got somebody writin' 'em and tryin' to entertain ya.
Life is more like a set of Legos.
Unless you take care of 'em, you lose a few pieces and you end up steppin' on 'em with bare feet.
You gotta take care of your life."
~Laura Moncur