Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Brines
11-17-2010, 07:25 AM
RE: Brines
Hey great tip! I never thought of canning salt. I am trying to figure out how to approach some of these ideas with my wife. Normally she does the whole meal, but her health isn't all that great so she might be receptive to some of these ideas.

Thanks!!!

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-06-2011, 06:15 PM
I took a couple of chickens and made something wonderful today.....

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=27...5362d3f4da

Here's the brine I used-

Chicken Brine
1/4c. coarse salt
1/4c. brown sugar
20 whole black peppercorns
1 red chile pepper, thinly sliced
2 bay leaves
1c hot water, plus 3 cups cold water
1 lemon or 1 orange, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
Mix all the dry ingredients in a large bowl and add the hot water. Mix well and then add cold water. Add chicken and let stand for 2 hours, or overnight.

"Life ain't like books.
Books got somebody writin' 'em and tryin' to entertain ya.
Life is more like a set of Legos.
Unless you take care of 'em, you lose a few pieces and you end up steppin' on 'em with bare feet.
You gotta take care of your life."
~Laura Moncur
Find all posts by this user
04-09-2011, 06:29 AM
The Oldest asked her Dad if he'd put something on the smoker for Grad-Day and my Brother was kind enough to provide us with 1 large rump roast and 2 large chuck roasts. Since the next couple of weekends will be busy he's going to smoke them this weekend and afterwards we'll freeze them for the end of the month. The brine he's experementing with is 1 2 liter orange Crush soda, 2 12 0z cans of Cherry Coke, some Kosher salt, brown sugar, herbs and spices.

We figured that beef goes well with orange and just a hint of cherry. I think he said the wood he will be using is a blend of hickory and cherry tree chunks. It's nice to have friends that drop off their tree trimings knowing he will put them to good use.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
04-12-2011, 09:18 PM
(07-11-2010 03:03 PM)Brutus Wrote:  Bubba and I both brined a turkey a while back and after comparing notes Bubba posted a recipe on the menu at Bubba's Bar 'n' Grill. Check it out and we hope it helps.

http://www.neilpeart.net/bng/turkey_daze.html
I used your brine to do my Thanksgiving turkey last year and it turned out so well, that I used it for making my christmas ribs(see Avatar). I must say your brine works quite well on St. Louis ribs( baby back ribs) as well as Turkey. thanks for you and Bubba sharing this brine recipe.Big Grin

I'm taking a ride with my best friend...I hope he never lets me down again.
04-13-2011, 08:51 PM
OK, OK! I have to check out your brines. My husband got on a brine kick and did chicken twice. He insists he followed the recipe exactly from The Joy of Cooking. Both times, the chicken was so salty, it wasn't fit to eat. Personally, I think he left it in too long, but he doesn't believe me! Big Grin
05-21-2011, 09:07 PM
Created a brine today for some very lovely pork chops.....

1/4 c. Jack Daniels
1/4 c. brown sugar, packed
1/4 c. Montreal Steak seasoning
1 c. HOT water
3 c. cold/room temperature water

Add the JD, brown sugar and Montreal Steak seasoning to the hot water and stir till sugar and salt have dissolved. Add cold water, mix, and add pork chops. I ended up soaking the chops all day, grilled them on the bbq and they turned out VERY GOOD!
Big Grin

"Life ain't like books.
Unless you take care of 'em, you lose a few pieces and you end up steppin' on 'em with bare feet.
~Laura Moncur
09-08-2012, 11:40 AM (This post was last modified: 09-08-2012 11:58 AM by Sunset.)
Talk about finding a bunch of ideas I never would have thought of myself! You guys are great...

Man, I love this place....

*edit*

And I just found the Super Secret Squirrel link...maybe now I can actually poach an egg without screwing the pooch every single time. Red wine vinegar???? Sheesh...I had no idea...

To ask why we cook is to ask why the leaves fall...
09-10-2012, 08:10 AM
(05-21-2011 09:07 PM)HardwareGrl Wrote:  Created a brine today for some very lovely pork chops.....

1/4 c. Jack Daniels
1 c. HOT water

Add the JD, brown sugar and Montreal Steak seasoning to the hot water and stir till sugar and salt have dissolved. Add cold water, mix, and add pork chops. I ended up soaking the chops all day, grilled them on the bbq and they turned out VERY GOOD!
Big Grin

They sure did...and thanks for the tip!

Brined chop with shroom/cream/mustard pan sauce.

[Image: food68.jpg]

10-13-2012, 09:10 AM
(09-10-2012 08:10 AM)Sunset Wrote:  
(05-21-2011 09:07 PM)HardwareGrl Wrote:  Created a brine today for some very lovely pork chops.....

1/4 c. Jack Daniels
1 c. HOT water

Big Grin

They sure did...and thanks for the tip!

Brined chop with shroom/cream/mustard pan sauce.

[Image: food68.jpg]

That looks lovely! The pan sauce looks like a yummy touch! Big Grin

"Life ain't like books.
~Laura Moncur
10-13-2012, 11:49 AM
Why thank you!

I've noticed, through perusing the site, that you have a boatload of cool ideas and techniques as well...