Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Antiguan Garlic Pork
07-14-2010, 08:39 AM
Antiguan Garlic Pork
This recipe was passed down from my uncle who was raised on the Island of Antigua. It's traditionally made after Thanksgiving and served Christmas but I like it anytime! It's an ancient mariners' recipe, most likely from Portugal.

Get about 7 lbs of cubed (2-3 inches) pork shoulder; leave some fat.
Line a crock with a layer of heavy salt, lots of hot red pepper, lots of fresh garlic, marjoram; place pork over this and fill with apple cider vinegar so it covers the pork. Repeat the process with salt and spices/layer of pork covering with the vinegar. Cover and let marinate in a cool dark place for TWO to THREE WEEKS unrefridgerated. The salt, spices and vinegar preserve the meat

Simmer each batch in juices for 7 minutes, drain and then fry with a bit of olive oil until golden brown. Use an exhaust fan or risk choking the household!

Eat with fresh bread and red wine. Some people prefer milk or egg nog to coat the stomach becuase it is very spicy, but unlike anything you have ever eaten. Please tell me how you like it!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-16-2010, 11:23 AM
RE: Antiguan Garlic Pork
Well I will try and give this a go. My old neighbour hails from Nevis, and his Caribbean cooking was superb.
I have fond memories of Antigua and Montserrat.
07-19-2010, 01:41 PM
(07-16-2010 11:23 AM)NWoBHM Wrote:  Well I will try and give this a go. My old neighbour hails from Nevis, and his Caribbean cooking was superb.
I have fond memories of Antigua and Montserrat.

I think you will love this. It's like nothing you have ever tasted. My suggestion is to use fresh ingredients, though it comes out fine with chopped garlic in a jar or dried crushed red pepper.

Vince
07-20-2010, 09:19 PM
Sounds great.
Do you think it will work with chicken as well, for those of us who don't eat (much) pork?
Find all posts by this user
07-21-2010, 08:11 AM
(07-20-2010 09:19 PM)JrGtr42 Wrote:  Sounds great.
Do you think it will work with chicken as well, for those of us who don't eat (much) pork?

I hear you on that. I'm not a big pork eater myself but for this it's worth making a yearly exception. I tried it with beef and it was okay, though a little more dry. The fattiness of this cut of pork and the texture really makes the dish. I imagine that chicken would work but may lack some of the character of the original dish. Let me know how it comes out!
10-31-2010, 07:09 PM (This post was last modified: 10-31-2010 07:09 PM by VincentUlyssis.)
Almost time to make the pork! I'm going to the butcher the day after Thanksgiving and fryin' on Christmas eve! that and my homemade Pinot Noir and were cookin'!
06-10-2011, 12:24 PM
My wife has been using a slow cooker lately. The meat comes very tender. I was thinking of making this dish again using that method. Any thoughts?
01-02-2012, 09:06 AM
I tried it again for 2011. This time I marinated with less salt, but only for 2-3 weeks (used two batches). I also reduced the cooking time. Common folk agree that it is much better. My wife and I still want to try a slow cooker, but overall it came quite good this year! It's a real mouth burner but in a good way.
01-05-2012, 05:33 PM
Has anyone tried this recipe? I'm curious about your results!
11-12-2012, 07:30 PM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2012 07:30 PM by VincentUlyssis.)
It's time people! My cousin Lou, an excellent chef in his own rite, suggested frying first to seal everything up, followed by a simmer. Others have suggested a slow cooker but we feel this may make the meat fall apart (which might not be bad!).

Either way, the tradition is to set up the brine and meat the day after thanksgiving with the cooking taking place on Christmas morning or Christmas Eve. This recipe is good even if it sits only a few days but really takes off with that 5 week soak. Remember to use a lot of salt and vinegar along with ample spice.

Serve with fresh baked bread and eggnog or with bread an red wine (preferably Spanish or Portuguese).

Anyone besides Lou trying it?