Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ice Cream
02-14-2011, 07:56 AM (This post was last modified: 02-14-2011 07:58 AM by NWoBHM.)
RE: Ice Cream
(02-14-2011 07:35 AM)RN-PRN Wrote:  Mine will be in Nursing. I am working toward one to be a Family Nurse Practitioner while working full time and being a full time Mom. Now where did them time for myself go. Maybe I will find out in a few years.

My sincere admiration to you and your determination. Getting a masters is a tremendous commitment and sacrifice, let along holding down a very responsible job, and being a Mum. My hat off to you.

When I did mine I was in a job I could sleep walk through, so had enough energy left for studying (which turned out to be every evening and weekend for three solid years) - (I rationed my drumming to every other day to make space for studying - which with my MCIPS was a 7 year stint), plus my eldest, (Isobelle) was born just before my final exams and dissertation - so timing was near perfect there too.

I have met many people who say, "Yeah - MBA, I was thinking of getting one of those", like you just fill in a form and there you go - all sorted. In my class - 48 started (all very bright people) three years later only 4 graduated.

Living the dream over here in Blighty
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-14-2011, 01:25 PM
Been trying to get in to finish up my Bachelors but it seems all my AAS coursework is not aCceptable and I may have to start all over. That has been a source of real frustration because I do want my engineering degree but the University of Iowa and Iowa State won't acceopt my coursework. I am in the process of petitioning the state Board to review my case but that's going to be a snowballs chance in hell getting that thru. I am not sure what the next step is but I know what course of study I want. Hard part about all that is I already understand more about civil engineering than most of these college grads do when they graduate. Having 20 years of field experience sure helps but it don't count for crap in a real school.

Gee I always get called a neanderthal in the Land of Trolls!

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
02-14-2011, 02:50 PM
This is the dilemma of modern qualifications and experience. There is the joke, (well actually there are probably more MBA jokes than drumming jokes), about the guy with his MBA getting his first job and asking his PA, "to bring him his first case study", as that is all he/she knows about business - no practical experience, no pragmatic on the job experience to draw from.

I hear in the UK they are riverting back a bit to qualifications are not worth much without experience, again problem being how do you get the experience sometimes without the qualification?

I wish you success in your endeavours!

Boomer - mate, could I be really cheeky?

My wife (Tan) is doing an HNC in Garden Design, (same argument - loads of practical experience and love of gardening - no qualification - yet!), and she has to submit a plan of a deck - in your travels and work do you have such a thing? Over here decking, although popular, is no-where near what I imagine it is over there.

If you could help it would be much appreciated! Put me down for a double Macallan at our ancient coaching inn local for you and Mrs B, to repay the favour when you get to Bonnie Scotland!

Living the dream over here in Blighty
02-14-2011, 05:08 PM
A deck. Is this a "flight" deck? Or maybe a "poop" deck?

I could tell you what I know about decks in about four words. I have designed them, and they aren't really all that tough. You might want to consider reviewing some existing free plans online for ideas. I guess if I knew more I could help more, but in my world - we go to the hardware store, get a plan, the materials, and get it built in a day. To tell the truth though - our designs are based on buildings that are a lot bigger, and usually are just add on structures to the existing patio. 4 posts, a flat surface you're done kind of deal.

If I knew more maybe I could help, but typically as a land surveyor I don't know much about designing them other than what I have seen in the houses that are designed by my client-not me!

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
07-25-2013, 07:50 PM (This post was last modified: 07-25-2013 07:53 PM by 2Beers.)
I thought to dust this thread and take it down from the shelf. When I started it I talked about a local family owned ice cream place. Well it was debuted on GMA the other day.
http://abcnews.go.com/t/video/index?id=1...Video=true

http://kelleycountrycreamery.com/

(Scooter this was the other ice cream place we wanted to take you to, but alas time ran out).

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
Find all posts by this user