Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Matakana - New Zealand
07-20-2010, 12:12 AM
Matakana - New Zealand
Lovely little wine growing area in North Island, about an hours drive from Auckland, near Warkworth in the Rodney District, and about a 15 minute drive from Omaha (yes like the D Day beach but much nicer and the Pacific Ocean with this one).

Anyway, the wine is really good - not seen it outside of NZ in the UK, but maybe some gets out to the States - although I guess like all good wines, the growers keep it for themselves!!

Now I am missing the "Land of the long white cloud"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-27-2010, 07:06 PM
RE: Matakana - New Zealand
(07-20-2010 12:12 AM)NWoBHM Wrote:  Lovely little wine growing area in North Island, about an hours drive from Auckland, near Warkworth in the Rodney District, and about a 15 minute drive from Omaha (yes like the D Day beach but much nicer and the Pacific Ocean with this one).

Anyway, the wine is really good - not seen it outside of NZ in the UK, but maybe some gets out to the States - although I guess like all good wines, the growers keep it for themselves!!

Now I am missing the "Land of the long white cloud"

It is indeed a beautiful country and a land of many wonderful culinary delights and condiments. Personally I preferred the South Island when I was there but the North island with it's rolling green hills provided many wonderful sights and wines as you have stated. One day I will go back
Find all posts by this user
07-28-2010, 09:42 AM
Quote:It is indeed a beautiful country and a land of many wonderful culinary delights and condiments. Personally I preferred the South Island when I was there but the North island with it's rolling green hills provided many wonderful sights and wines as you have stated. One day I will go back

Hi Erro........Yes we would love to go back, We have a few friends who have moved out there. My eldest daughter had her birthday out there in Jan. She is used to English Winter on her birthdays - so - cold, school, sometimes snow, miserable weather, but on this occasion it was body boarding in the Pacific, picnic on the beach, 32Degrees C, beautiful! Mind you if we lived out there my birthday would shift from late Spring to Winter!

We never made it to the South Islands - I think we missed a treat! But like you say the rolling green hills, on North Island are lovely - sort of like a very warm Wales!
07-29-2010, 10:01 PM
(07-28-2010 09:42 AM)NWoBHM Wrote:  
Quote:It is indeed a beautiful country and a land of many wonderful culinary delights and condiments. Personally I preferred the South Island when I was there but the North island with it's rolling green hills provided many wonderful sights and wines as you have stated. One day I will go back

Hi Erro........Yes we would love to go back, We have a few friends who have moved out there. My eldest daughter had her birthday out there in Jan. She is used to English Winter on her birthdays - so - cold, school, sometimes snow, miserable weather, but on this occasion it was body boarding in the Pacific, picnic on the beach, 32Degrees C, beautiful! Mind you if we lived out there my birthday would shift from late Spring to Winter!

We never made it to the South Islands - I think we missed a treat! But like you say the rolling green hills, on North Island are lovely - sort of like a very warm Wales!

Oh, how I envy you! With my travels between the northern and southern hemispheres I have had two consecutive summers (one in Queensland and another in Texas... ech) and long for some good wintery weather. Never made it to Wales (been to England and the emerald Isle) but it is certainly on my list of places to visit.
07-30-2010, 07:53 AM (This post was last modified: 07-30-2010 11:30 AM by NWoBHM.)
Quote:Oh, how I envy you! With my travels between the northern and southern hemispheres I have had two consecutive summers (one in Queensland and another in Texas... ech) and long for some good wintery weather. Never made it to Wales (been to England and the emerald Isle) but it is certainly on my list of places to visit.

Hi Erro,

I have been very fortunate to be able to travel and see the World, (mostly) with other people paying for it!

I am of course a Brit, and live near the Welsh Border, (Worcester is close to the Brecon Beacons and Hereford etc - where the SAS are based and run up and down mountains all week long).

Thinking of places I have been fortunate to visit -

USA - NYC, Philly, Pittsburgh, Dallas.
Europe - France, Germany, Austria, Italy, Holland, Belgium, Scandinavia
Channel Islands - Guernsey, Sark, Alderney.
Israel, Palestine.
China, Hong Kong, Vietnam, Taiwan.
Caribbean - Montserrat, Antigua.
Australia, New Zealand.

Would like to do Canada, Russia might be interesting, and definitely back to NZ!
07-30-2010, 11:07 PM
(07-30-2010 07:53 AM)NWoBHM Wrote:  
Quote:Oh, how I envy you! With my travels between the northern and southern hemispheres I have had two consecutive summers (one in Queensland and another in Texas... ech) and long for some good wintery weather. Never made it to Wales (been to England and the emerald Isle) but it is certainly on my list of places to visit.

Hi Erro,

I have been very fortunate to be able to travel and see the World, (mostly) with other people paying for it!

I am of course a Brit, and live near the Welsh Border, (Worcester is close to the Brecon Beacons and Hereford etc - where the SAS are based and run up and down mountains all week long).

Thinking of places I have been fortunate to visit -

USA - NYC, Philly, Pittsburgh, Dallas.
Europe - France, Germany, Austria, Italy, Holland, Belgium, Scandinavia
Channel Islands - Guernsey, Sark, Alderney.
Israel, Palestine.
China, Hong Kong, Vietnam, Taiwan.
Caribbean - Montserrat, Antigua.
Australia, New Zealand.

Would like to do Canada, Russia might be interesting, and definitely back to NZ!

Smile Glad to meet (well, sort of) a fellow traveller. Unfortunately mine have all been on my own nickel, but it's all good. Am currently holding out here in Dallas (after having lived in Australia for a few years) until the end of September when the guys come this way. No way I am missing that concert! Then it's off to Costa Rica for at least a month and then will see which way the wind blows. Perhaps Georgia, the country not the state. Or back to Indonesia.

Had a friend many years ago who was born and raised somewhere along the Welsh border, but alas, can't remember the town.
07-31-2010, 01:52 AM (This post was last modified: 07-31-2010 05:32 AM by NWoBHM.)
Quote:Glad to meet (well, sort of) a fellow traveller.
Good to meet you too.

Quote:Am currently holding out here in Dallas
I enjoyed Dallas - especially (although a little ghoulish) seeing the book depository and Dealey Plaza - fascinating with the window kept open etc.

Quote:until the end of September when the guys come this way

They usually come to the Birmingham NEC when in the UK, (some of a Show of Hands was filmed there) which is a 40 min drive for me. Took the girls once to see them but they were so tired, (and young) they couldnt manage the whole concert. For years when having photos taken they would say, "say Geddy Lee" to get their smiles right.

Quote:Had a friend many years ago who was born and raised somewhere along the Welsh border
It is a nice place to be - beautiful countryside - lots of Castles, and Manor Houses - all designed to keep the Welsh out of England! Of course RUSH recorded near here - just inside the Welsh border in Monmouth - Rockfield studios - AFTK and Hemispheres.