Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Swiss Chard
07-26-2010, 01:12 PM
Swiss Chard
Anyone have a good recipe for this? I'm not really into collard greens or the like. Just read some good health info on this so thought I'd give it a try.

Salad ingredient maybe?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-26-2010, 04:54 PM
RE: Swiss Chard
Make sure the chard is rinsed well(dirt and /or sand do not make a pleasent addition). You can use the leaves in salad the young tender ones work better. The stalks if sliced thin can be sauted in butter or olive oil with some salt & papper. If the leaves are big you can remove the heavy vein in them so they don't get too tough. We've taken the whole chard sliced it up and done the saute' thing like you would for spinach.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
09-26-2010, 08:57 PM
I hadn't tried Swiss Chard till last year, and now am a big fan!
Here is a recipe I use, I 'jacked it from All Recipes, its easy and good.....

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 bunch Swiss chard, stalks discarded, leaves cut into wide ribbons
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

Heat the olive oil on a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in the garlic and cook until tender and aromatic, about 2 minutes. Add the Swiss chard and balsamic vinegar; cook and stir until the chard is wilted and tender, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and serve.

Really nice with pork roast!

"Life ain't like books.
Books got somebody writin' 'em and tryin' to entertain ya.
Life is more like a set of Legos.
Unless you take care of 'em, you lose a few pieces and you end up steppin' on 'em with bare feet.
You gotta take care of your life."
~Laura Moncur
09-26-2010, 09:07 PM
That sounds good!
04-24-2011, 06:27 AM (This post was last modified: 04-24-2011 06:28 AM by Layllah.)
Use it just like spinach no one in my house can tell the difference! Saute a glove of garlic in butter add the cleaned swiss chard cook until tender. Or make stuffed cabbage out of it, you dont have to cook it before you roll it up and it's not cruciferous (No Gas) just use a stuffed cabbage recipe replace the cabbage part with Swiss Chard!

"An Oasis of Solid Ground in an Endless Sea of Confusion"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user