Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Drumming
08-05-2010, 11:54 AM (This post was last modified: 03-23-2014 03:48 PM by VincentUlyssis.)
Drumming
Last November my son Gio (12) and I (43 11/12) started regular drum lessons with Mike Sorrentino(Ritchie Blackmore, Zebra, Joe Lynn Turner, Big Shot, and Broadway shows Movin' Out, Grease and In the Heights). We got his name from Joe Bergamini(Power Windows, 4Front, Happy The Man, and Broadway shows Movin' Out, The Lion King, In the Heights, Jersey Boys, and Rock of Ages) with whom we had our very first lesson in New Jersey. These guys are just great! Gio is proving to be a "drum animal" and I have just gotten "better." I have to say that drumming is improving my other musical abilities and I'm beginning to really understand concepts that were difficult to grasp. Mike made sure that we watched "The Greatest Drum Solos of All Time" or something like that; all big band jazz. My favorites are Buddy Rich and Lou Bellson (spelling?) who was a double bass pioneer. I seem to connect with drumming and the opportunity for expression musically in a very liberating way compared with guitar, piano and bass (which I find myself playing out most of the time). For those people who think drummers just "hit things with sticks" I have to say it's a whole new world of intellectual exploration and liberating on some new level for me.
Favorite Drummers: Peart (pronounced "Peart"), Carter B., K. Moon, Bonham, Bergamini, Sorrentino...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-05-2010, 04:58 PM
RE: Drumming
I am sooooo glad SOMEONE is finally getting some use out of that ol left brain nugget! I totally agree that drumming can really open eyes, hearts, and minds if you let it. I hope you get what you want out of it, because just creating music is a total trip for me that I just have not been able to enjoy for a very long time. I hope that one day I can return to playing music on some instrument, but deep down drumming is where I want to go.

Thanks so much for sharing!!!

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
08-06-2010, 06:43 AM
(08-05-2010 04:58 PM)boomer Wrote:  I am sooooo glad SOMEONE is finally getting some use out of that ol left brain nugget! I totally agree that drumming can really open eyes, hearts, and minds if you let it. I hope you get what you want out of it, because just creating music is a total trip for me that I just have not been able to enjoy for a very long time. I hope that one day I can return to playing music on some instrument, but deep down drumming is where I want to go.

Thanks so much for sharing!!!

Bite the bullet and do it! It's really satisfying.
08-06-2010, 08:05 PM
Thanks guy! I am hoping I can bite the bullet, or as me pappy says "Just Do It". I played in high school, but thats been awhile ago, like 27 years, and although I did some music stuff in the navy, it was nothing like getting my first lesson on drums, doing my first bluesy beat, and jamming with a couple of jazz guys from my school. Drumming was going to be my gig, but as it turns out I become something else. All I know is I truly miss playing music, whether its doing bluegrass on a banjo or rock n roll on a guitar or even swing band music on drums - I miss it.

08-09-2010, 12:13 PM
My son has been playing drums for about 5 years now. Been in drumline for two years. I've learned a thing or two myself about different aspects of it. However, I can't carry a tune with vocals nor instruments. Being tone deaf, and having a mild stroke will do that to ya. More importantly, the Mrs. forbids me from singing (thankfully).

Doesn't mean I can't appreciate the finer aspects of music as I love a good drum solo over guitar or other musical solo.
Find all posts by this user
08-11-2010, 10:46 AM
As one who first studied and played instrumental melodic and harmonic instruments, I was always fascinated with subdivisions in rhythm possible on the drum kit-so many endless possibilities. My brother was the drummer and I simply appreciated the complex beats and fills that the pro drummers recorded. Last year he gave us his old Ludwig kit. We purchased the Sabian Paragon pack and a $500 DW snare that sounds incredible. It turned out to be a really nice kit to study on and I find myself going for the drums more often than my other instruments now. Even better, it has become a bonding point for my son and me, although I confess he will quickly surpass me in skill due to his unbelievable practice ethic. He is excited to meet his drum hero Daniel Williams (of The Devil Wears Prada) this month at Sam Ash in NYC. He's a great double bass player but lacks the musical "feel" of my favorite drummer. Also, I'm not particularly a fan of "screamo."
08-11-2010, 05:23 PM
If you're fascinated with those divisional possibilities in rhythm, I recommend Gavin Harrison's excellent DVD Rhythmic Visions & also Rhythmic Horizons.
Yes, chances are your mind will boggle, but I think that happens to everyone. You can study in your own way, but just to watch and marvel at a master who is so effortless at work is truly astounding. The dude simply kills. Check him out for mind-expanding examples of where and how you can serve the song.

I'm happy to shake my head in amazement. Otherwise, he makes me sick. Big Grin It's not easy.
08-11-2010, 07:31 PM
This thread kinda reminds me of that song "Bang on the Drum All Day". Neat stuff guys. Wink

I would have to agree with Snapdad. Gavin Harrison has an amazing way to teach you those things that most teachers can't even touch. I saw a part of his Rythmic Horizons dvd from a friend and I was really taken to him. I dont shake my head - my jaw just drops to the floor. If drumming were that "easy" everybody would do it. Tongue

08-11-2010, 07:34 PM
Porcupine Tree / "Sound of Muzak" with Gavin on the kit.
Makes you go.... Geeeze....
effortless switch beats, paradiddles, 180s...

You Tube has this one

Most of us are so caught up in life that we forget to live it.
08-11-2010, 08:51 PM
checked out gavin on utube,caused major finger tapping on my laptop. thanks!