Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Drumming
08-12-2010, 08:02 AM
RE: Drumming
I have heard so much about Porcupine; I really have to check them out. All my "Prog" friends rant about their skill. For now my teacher has been really stressing rudiments which I have been working to improve and fill variations which has truly opened another world to me...triplets, quads, etc. I'm amazed at how our favorite drummers from the 60's and 70's knew this stuff so well without the resources we have today.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-12-2010, 01:59 PM
i agree. the more i learn,the more i realize how talented these are and were
Find all posts by this user
08-18-2010, 03:04 PM
I love drums! My husband even bought me a drum kit for Christmas last year ddrum, d2 version (he had some really good drummer friend help him decide on a starter kit that didn't cost an arm and a leg...possibly a drummer joke here). I have a BA in music so I am not totally daft about the fundamentals but, that whole coordination thingy is kinda tough. So many great drummers out there but my two #1 reasons for picking up the sticks...NEP and Gavin Harrison. BAM!

"Hope is what remains to be seen."- Bubba
08-18-2010, 03:48 PM
(08-12-2010 01:59 PM)paul Wrote:  i agree. the more i learn,the more i realize how talented these are and were
That's a really good point and one that's often overlooked. Well said.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
08-23-2010, 08:09 AM (This post was last modified: 08-23-2010 08:12 AM by VincentUlyssis.)
So my son Gio likes this band "The Devil Wears Prada." Great drum and guitar riffs but I'm not a fan of screamo- I tolerate it as an act of love. A wise man once said that cooking is an act of love. I agree with this. In fact, I'm learning that REGULARLY cleaning up after a meal is also an act of love. Listening to my son's musical preferences is definitely an act of love. Along these lines I noticed that Sam Ash in NYC was having a meet and greet/signing with TDWP drummer Daniel Williams so I "shlepped" into the city yesterday with my son and his friend to meet him and get some signed drum heads, posters, etc. He is a double bass guy, about 25 with some goodchops He was very down to earth and at the end I heard him talking to the manager about finding some great NY pizza. I figured "what the heck" and invited him and his security guy to join us for pizza-our treat. He graciously accepted. We talked on the way and in the pizzeria. My son and his friend sat there in disbelief as they watched this middle aged dad shootin' the breeze with their drum hero. We talked about everyone's influence NEP, and many of the other great drummers in rock. Finally my son was asking about parts and there was hand and foot tapping. It was a moment to remember! Gio will never forget that moment, especially when Dan commended him for his progress in one year-credit to Mike Sorrentino his drum teacher.Tonight we're checking them out at the Gramercy Theater in NYC (two days shlepping to the city). As I said, this is an act of love, but I'm loving it too!
Has everyone heard "Caravan?" This composition is great. I love the drumming. Incredible and tasteful... My son Gio and his "Uncle Joe" are having a contest to see who can nail the drum parts by the end of the September.

"I can't stop thinking big, I can't stop thinking big-In a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big."
08-25-2010, 07:24 PM
So we went to the Gramercy Theater NYC to see TDWP with "Miss May" as the warm up. I learned that this is considered "metalcore." Most of the crowd was young. At 44 I was for sure the oldest person. It was crazy. I can appreciate the genre, though it's not my thing. Daniel Williams is a great drummer. What energy! Technique wasn't bad-very cool drum riffs. He has to be endorsed by a cymbal company because he probably breaks cymbals regularly. Getting up for work was a challenge the next day but I'm thankful that my son taught me something about his music. I could see how it might be appealing to the younger crowd. He appreciated it because I sense a new connection and elevated level of respect. All in all it was an act of love
08-26-2010, 02:38 AM
As a self- taught drummer I am often frowned upon by my peers, to them it seems because I wasn't shown how to paradiddle or flam and feint I can't be any good at it. The last thing I ever imagined when I bought my first drum kit at 16 was the drumming would be elitist....... I listened to all my favourite drummers and stole the bits I liked and still do.
When it comes to paradiddles I take John Bonhams view....... " I could play a paradiddle at a gig, but who the hell would know I did it?"
I am sure that lessons are great for people just starting out on "Percussion Road" but I get a great sense of achievement from knowing that what I do on a drum kit ( which isn't spectacular in any way) I taught myself and wasn't shown...
08-28-2010, 10:08 AM
Who's ever had a gig coming up and no musicians available? There's a Halloween gig that pays 125 per person for 2 hours (break is 20 minutes, free drinks.) I am a session drummer and all my musician friends are working on other projects. I had to call a very good guitarist/singer who is a ROYAL PAIN IN THE A-- to work with. The bassist, who is a tied to the guitarist’s side, will do whatever the guitarist wants. I don't want to skip this gig; they're be too many connections that go with it for other work. I hate working with this guy though. He loves to micromanage and will steal connections from you. Doing nothing and skipping the gig is not an option. Been out of work professionally too long. Predicament!!!! Either way I get to play in front of a crowd. That’s all I really want.
08-28-2010, 10:24 AM
Quote:I taught myself and wasn't shown...
Apparently Ian Paice was self taught.
08-29-2010, 06:51 PM
Self taught has some distinct advantages for the highly intelligent and gifted. I'm surprised at how our drum heroes utilize the rudiments; whether taught or not, they are still the rudiments-learned or accidentally discovered, but I hear ya-improv development transcends "the book."