Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Drumming
08-29-2010, 11:36 PM (This post was last modified: 08-29-2010 11:38 PM by Neilbubbachuck.)
RE: Drumming
Any helpful hints on cleaning my Paragon cymbals?
I've always wondered what Bubba uses.
I like groove juice and have been happy with the product so far. But I want that Peart like glow to them. I'm real tempted to use a pressure washer but I'm scared that may be damaging.

Thoughts?

Don't talk smack about Total!!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-30-2010, 05:29 PM (This post was last modified: 08-30-2010 05:31 PM by K4RM4.)
To me, it may be a bad thing to clean them. It may actually change the sound. I have one that I have never cleaned. It was made it 1977. I've had it since 1988. It is a perfect sounding 20" Z Ping. Not one crack. I'm afraid to clean it, not only because it may change the sound, but because it has what's called a "patina" on it that protects against the elements. If you take it off, it may start to wear or and it will start a new patina which may lead to increased damage. I have no proof of this except from experience. I've cleaned others and they start to form patina in a thick way(no longer grey-green but blue!), making the cymbal more muffled. Again, I could be wrong.
08-30-2010, 06:27 PM
Did a quick search and came up with this link: Drumbum: Cleaning Cymbals.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
08-30-2010, 06:55 PM
I've been told that the jazz guys would bury their cymbals in the ground for awhile to "age" them. Though I wouldn't probably go that far I've also been told it's best to let them age without cleaning, but I sure loved Elwood's shiny set up. The copper was a real nice touch as well.

I have to plug Sabian here. We purchased the Paragon line. Our 16" crash started to crack on the edge (due to my son's crashing on eight notes with double bass like a machine gun) and I was concerned that we were over one year from purchase. I called and spoke to a PERSON right away. She told me we had a TWO year warranty and made it so easy to send it back-no questions asked. After that experience I'll probably only buy Sabian.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-30-2010, 07:44 PM
(08-30-2010 06:55 PM)VincentUlyssis Wrote:  I've been told that the jazz guys would bury their cymbals in the ground for awhile to "age" them. Though I wouldn't probably go that far I've also been told it's best to let them age without cleaning, but I sure loved Elwood's shiny set up. The copper was a real nice touch as well.

I have to plug Sabian here. We purchased the Paragon line. Our 16" crash started to crack on the edge (due to my son's crashing on eight notes with double bass like a machine gun) and I was concerned that we were over one year from purchase. I called and spoke to a PERSON right away. She told me we had a TWO year warranty and made it so easy to send it back-no questions asked. After that experience I'll probably only buy Sabian.

Zildjian has a similar warranty. And no, I wouldn't go burying my $300 cymbal in the dirt. I vaguely remember that...a jazz friend told me that years ago and to this day I never believed him. Maybe he was correct.
08-31-2010, 01:44 AM
Some great thoughts, thanks! I've heard some crazy ideas from my pals. I had a friend tell me that he rubs a lemon over the surface of his cymbals then washes them off. He reports that the acid in the lemon does the trick. No thank you!
And I too have had the tempt to bury an old cymbal in my backyard for a few months. But I like the crispness of a new cymbal much more than the flat dry effect that may have.

Gotta keep em "wicked crisp":P

Don't talk smack about Total!!
08-31-2010, 06:35 PM
(08-31-2010 01:44 AM)Neilbubbachuck Wrote:  Some great thoughts, thanks! I've heard some crazy ideas from my pals. I had a friend tell me that he rubs a lemon over the surface of his cymbals then washes them off. He reports that the acid in the lemon does the trick. No thank you!
And I too have had the tempt to bury an old cymbal in my backyard for a few months. But I like the crispness of a new cymbal much more than the flat dry effect that may have.

Gotta keep em "wicked crisp":P

I prefer them that way too! Brand new out of the box. No fingerprints. Wow, I wish I was endorsed! By the way, our brand new 16" Paragon replacement arrived today! They even paid shipping! I'M IMPRESSED. oops, caps...My son tore the box open and set it up before I even got home. It looks so shiny.
09-15-2010, 07:18 PM
So my new task is to practice subdividing threes and fours over various placements of the quarter note, then subdividing various eighth notes with 16ths. It's incredible how many variations can be extrapolated from these combinations! I wish I had learned this years ago. Triplets and quads with the bass drum(s) are developing. I need more time behind the kit!
09-22-2010, 08:11 PM
Is anyone's practice regimen as inconsistent as mine?

I now have a pad and sticks in my office with the Vic Firth rudiments poster on my wall. It's great stress relief, but only when my secretaries are out of the office!
09-22-2010, 08:34 PM
Vincent - where did you even FIND a pad? I mean, I have looked high and low around town and I cannot find them at all! I wanted to start with a simple pad and just do rudiments only until I worked up enough to the next step, but without a pad, all I am doing is banging my head on my desk!!!

The only things I can ever find are practice SETS....I dont want that yet. Maybe I am not looking hard enough.....

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"