Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Drumming
02-26-2016, 10:12 PM
RE: Drumming
I collected the most awesome Zildjians in the late 60's/early 70's with my 1st drum kit. I had a late 50's Leedy Ludwig set with calf heads on the bass. It was such a trip. I sold the drums and cymbals separately about 8 years ago. The man who bought some of my cymbals was blind, so he couldn't see the pictures on the listing. He had me call him and play the cymbals with both a wood tip stick and a nylon tip stick. He loved the sound. Had I known I'd be playing again, I never would have sold the cymbals. They were that nice......now I have a bunch of newer Sabians. They're nice, but.....

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-27-2016, 03:17 AM
(02-26-2016 10:12 PM)Gungawoman Wrote:  I collected the most awesome Zildjians in the late 60's/early 70's with my 1st drum kit. I had a late 50's Leedy Ludwig set with calf heads on the bass. It was such a trip. I sold the drums and cymbals separately about 8 years ago. The man who bought some of my cymbals was blind, so he couldn't see the pictures on the listing. He had me call him and play the cymbals with both a wood tip stick and a nylon tip stick. He loved the sound. Had I known I'd be playing again, I never would have sold the cymbals. They were that nice......now I have a bunch of newer Sabians. They're nice, but.....

Its always when you sell something you find you want / need it again. I suppose that's why Bubba and the gang keep a lot of their gear from past tours and albums in that warehouse of theirs.

Love the story of the blind man buying your cymbals. I wonder if he was a blues player from the Delta South. What a lovely thought! Imagine buying by sound alone, unswayed by aesthetics? Musicianship at its purest.

How are you enjoying being back on the "un-soaked" drum stool? I bet you are having fun!!

Living the dream over here in Blighty
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-27-2016, 06:09 AM
My MIL lives in a large 13th Century Cider Mill near Hereford with a load of out buildings, (cider press mill, water mill - which provided the power from the local brook for the mill etc).

I would love to whack some coated emperors on the batter heads and coated ambassadors on the resonant heads and put the drums in the cider mill, drop a couple of Beyer M160's or AKG C414 in Glyn Johns configuration and record there, a la John Bonham. I bet it would sound huge. Would be a real blast.

I must ask her one day if she would mind.

02-27-2016, 07:01 PM
(02-27-2016 06:09 AM)NWoBHM Wrote:  My MIL lives in a large 13th Century Cider Mill near Hereford with a load of out buildings, (cider press mill, water mill - which provided the power from the local brook for the mill etc).

I would love to whack some coated emperors on the batter heads and coated ambassadors on the resonant heads and put the drums in the cider mill, drop a couple of Beyer M160's or AKG C414 in Glyn Johns configuration and record there, a la John Bonham. I bet it would sound huge. Would be a real blast.

So happy to be playing again!
You MUST play/record in the mill! I can't even imagine the sound! Wow!

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
02-28-2016, 03:08 AM (This post was last modified: 02-28-2016 03:11 AM by NWoBHM.)
(02-27-2016 07:01 PM)Gungawoman Wrote:  
(02-27-2016 06:09 AM)NWoBHM Wrote:  My MIL lives in a large 13th Century Cider Mill near Hereford with a load of out buildings, (cider press mill, water mill - which provided the power from the local brook for the mill etc).

So happy to be playing again!
You MUST play/record in the mill! I can't even imagine the sound! Wow!

I secretly hope it would sound like Headley Grange where Led Zep 4 was recorded.

Or how about this place. A few miles from here. The Largest Cruck Built barn in the UK. Used to be the store for Pershore Abbey. This is what Wiki has to say about it; Leigh Court Barn is an outstanding example of English medieval carpentry, and the largest cruck framed structure in Britain.

Built for Pershore Abbey in about 1325, it is over 42 metres long with 18 cruck blades - each made from a single oak tree.

[Image: leigh-court-barn.jpg]

[Image: 1454765763_13322d46f0_b.jpg]

02-28-2016, 04:57 AM
Quote:So happy to be playing again!

As a drummer dear to our hearts once said to me, "A Holiday wish, Happy Drumming!"

I can't think of anything more appropriate to say to a fellow drummer!!

03-08-2016, 05:55 PM
OK, fellow drummers...I need your help!

Have you ever had a certain cymbal sound in your head but your cymbals just don't deliver it? I have that issue with splashes. I am lucky enough to have quite a few 6" and 8" splashes from several makers and they all are useful; I really like them. They are the typical, brighter, short splash sounds one would expect. But often when I listen various to various progressive, jazz-fusion and jazz tracks, I hear a darker, deeper, chunkier splash sound. It still sounds like a small cymbal though because the duration is so short and they just sound...small. In my mind, I wonder if they are perhaps a 5" or 4" cymbal? But I never see anything like that...

I know it would be helpful to cite some specific tracks but I cannot recall anything in particular at this moment. My hunch is that they might be thicker splashes? Or possibly some of the "combo" cymbals (two or more together)?

Looking on-line briefly hasn't helped much...just the usual splashes show up mostly. The only thing that piqued my interest were the Meinl Byzance dark splashes but the smallest seems to be an 8".

Any ideas??

"I don't cook; I prepare things." My late brother Bill
03-09-2016, 01:46 AM
I think some of the problem to what you are describing is what we hear on recorded media (video, records, film, CDs etc) vary greatly from the actual source instrument.

I spent years tuning drums to what "I heard" on records, and stuffed a duvet, pillows, a couple of cargo blankets into my kick drums to get that "thud" you hear on records. And (to me) sounded great. BUT, when I played live, or recorded, all I got was frustrated and a really horrible dull none ambient sound.

The truth is the players I listened to had drums tuned "wide open" no dampening, (or very little) and managed the sound with compression, EQ, and either natural room reverb or applied reverb to give it ambience.

What splash sound are you reaching for? Manu Katche / Buddy Rich / Bubba / Ian Paice /

03-09-2016, 02:10 PM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2016 02:22 PM by Nung.)
(03-09-2016 01:46 AM)NWoBHM Wrote:  I think some of the problem to what you are describing is what we hear on recorded media (video, records, film, CDs etc) vary greatly from the actual source instrument.

I spent years tuning drums to what "I heard" on records, and stuffed a duvet, pillows, a couple of cargo blankets into my kick drums to get that "thud" you hear on records. And (to me) sounded great. BUT, when I played live, or recorded, all I got was frustrated and a really horrible dull none ambient sound.

The truth is the players I listened to had drums tuned "wide open" no dampening, (or very little) and managed the sound with compression, EQ, and either natural room reverb or applied reverb to give it ambience.

What splash sound are you reaching for? Manu Katche / Buddy Rich / Bubba / Ian Paice /

Excellent points!

As I mentioned above, i know it would be helpful if i would cite some recordings. But over the weekend I listened to about 30 hours of music over two days; curiously, none of the tracks featured the drummers you mentioned. My guess is that there were probably 5-8 different drummers that used splash sounds like I described. I will review my iPod to try and give you some drummers.

But even without citing specific drummer, I was hoping that some folks here would be "splash-addicts" like me and know of some cymbals that had the "clunkier", less-bright splash sound that (apparently) many drummers prefer.
By the way, here is what i have in 6" splashes:

6” Sabian B8
6” Sabian HH
6” A. Zildjian
6” A. Zil Custom

Oddly, the cheapest one (Sabian B8) is closest to the sound I am after. The others are typical splashes: bright, airy, and "thin" sounding. Nothing wrong at all with that sound but as i mentioned, many drummers seem to use a darker, very short-duration, heavier-sounding splash.

"I don't cook; I prepare things." My late brother Bill
03-10-2016, 02:41 AM
Manu's splashes sound bright to me. He uses A Custom. Buddy's was bright, A Zildjian. I don't recall hearing Paice's (although he is Paiste 2002). You could try YouTube and the Memphis Drum shop videos. They are an excellent resource for hearing all things being played. Just key in paste 2002 splash and there will be someone playing them.

OT, Abe Labouriel JNR has done a load for Memphis for the Paiste 2002 range, (he is an endorsee) and it is great to hear him say, "this is a 22" medium crash - one of my small ones" Hahahaha. How big do you need them??