Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Drumming
05-04-2016, 10:27 AM (This post was last modified: 05-04-2016 10:28 AM by NWoBHM.)
RE: Drumming
(05-04-2016 09:29 AM)Nung Wrote:  
(05-04-2016 05:56 AM)NWoBHM Wrote:  It's funny thing Twitter. Last night Phil Gould of Level 42 and I started having a Tweet conversation, from all things from drummers, to politics. I came away from the conversation thinking, not only is he a great drummer, but he is a great human being too.

There are some really generous people out there on the internet.

And many of them are drummers! Smile

Some of my favorite, all-around humans are drummers.

Yes true. Maybe because we leave a lot of negativity and aggression with the drums, leaving us free to be nice people the rest of the time.

I know a recording engineer, (actually he was credited on Power Windows), who says the more powerful and aggressive the music, the nicer the musicians. He was worked with an A list of stars.

Living the dream over here in Blighty
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-04-2016, 10:33 AM
(05-04-2016 10:27 AM)NWoBHM Wrote:  
(05-04-2016 05:56 AM)NWoBHM Wrote:  It's funny thing Twitter. Last night Phil Gould of Level 42 and I started having a Tweet conversation, from all things from drummers, to politics. I came away from the conversation thinking, not only is he a great drummer, but he is a great human being too.

Yes true. Maybe because we leave a lot of negativity and aggression with the drums, leaving us free to be nice people the rest of the time.

I know a recording engineer, (actually he was credited on Power Windows), who says the more powerful and aggressive the music, the nicer the musicians. He was worked with an A list of stars.

A fascinating theory.
I wonder if serious studies have been done on drummers to see if we are "different" from other musicians.

"I don't cook; I prepare things." My late brother Bill
Find all posts by this user
05-04-2016, 11:28 AM
(05-04-2016 10:33 AM)Nung Wrote:  
(05-04-2016 10:27 AM)NWoBHM Wrote:  

A fascinating theory.
I wonder if serious studies have been done on drummers to see if we are "different" from other musicians.

There was something recently about intelligence and drummers, and I think it was generally higher. There was also something about drummers using more energy than a footballer over the same time line. That feels about right.

05-04-2016, 11:41 AM
Makes sense to me.
Several brilliant drummers come to mind: Bill Bruford, Dave Grohl, Stewart Copeland, and that chap from the Canadian band are good examples.

http://www.gigwise.com/news/93374/new-st...n-everyone

05-04-2016, 12:14 PM
(05-04-2016 11:41 AM)Nung Wrote:  Makes sense to me.
Several brilliant drummers come to mind: Bill Bruford, Dave Grohl, Stewart Copeland, and that chap from the Canadian band are good examples.

http://www.gigwise.com/news/93374/new-st...n-everyone

Well there we are in print. Drummers are more intelligent!! I think Roger Taylor (Queen) is a qualified dental surgeon. That's no small feat. 7 years at dental school over here to get that, plus 7 years hard slog getting the right 'O' and 'A' levels, before you go to med school.

05-06-2016, 04:33 PM
Orchestral Percussionists might even be more intelligent..after all, they have to count zillions of bars before they finally get to hit something. That takes some smarts. Wink

05-07-2016, 09:13 PM
(05-06-2016 04:33 PM)Nung Wrote:  Orchestral Percussionists might even be more intelligent..after all, they have to count zillions of bars before they finally get to hit something. That takes some smarts. Wink

Oh, we're "different" all right! Big Grin

I remember in an honors orchestra I was in, I had to count 76 measures of rest before I came in with a solo on tympani. There weren't 5 consecutive measures in the same time signature. And they were weird signatures like 7/8, 3/2, etc. The 1st time we ran thru it, I was instantly lost. The conductor cued me in and I just looked at him. Oops!

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
05-08-2016, 01:56 AM
(05-07-2016 09:13 PM)Gungawoman Wrote:  
(05-06-2016 04:33 PM)Nung Wrote:  Orchestral Percussionists might even be more intelligent..after all, they have to count zillions of bars before they finally get to hit something. That takes some smarts. Wink

Oh, we're "different" all right! Big Grin

I remember in an honors orchestra I was in, I had to count 76 measures of rest before I came in with a solo on tympani. There weren't 5 consecutive measures in the same time signature. And they were weird signatures like 7/8, 3/2, etc. The 1st time we ran thru it, I was instantly lost. The conductor cued me in and I just looked at him. Oops!

Yikes. I expect iPhone make an app for that now.

06-13-2017, 11:00 PM (This post was last modified: 06-13-2017 11:02 PM by Gungawoman.)
I've been playing drums in our church praise band for several years. This week, we're playing for a tent revival down on the Apache reservation. Apparently, they have a "season" for tent meetings....who knew?
Anyway, I'm playing on a kit belonging to the sponsoring church. I figured all would be OK, or at least not too bad when I saw the components. It's a Mapex kit. Remo heads. Zildjian ZBT cymbals. Then I played it. No dampeners or studio rings, so duct tape had to be heavily employed. The Zildjians were terrible, except the high hat, which sounded really good. I can't believe they could make the other ZBT's sound so tinny. The snares are too loose even with the knob tightened all the way, and I didn't have a screwdriver to fix them. OK, I'll stop the rant. Angel
What was funny, the preacher was exactly like a stereotypical revival preacher. We play again Friday night. I'm going to have to bring my big Sabian ride, and a screwdriver..... Big Grin

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
06-14-2017, 12:24 AM
Haha. It's always a mixed blessing using another kit. Sometimes it is a great experience. Other times, not so much. Yes I guess having the means to fuss with it at least gives you options.