Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Drumming
06-14-2017, 09:33 AM
RE: Drumming
You were a saint to push through and do the best you could.

"I don't cook; I prepare things." My late brother Bill
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-12-2018, 05:09 PM
We are sleeping here!
What is new and exciting with everyone in the world of drumming?

For me, it has been a re-focus on snare techniques and my snare drums. (i.e. I want a metal snare drum!!)

12-27-2018, 08:01 PM
As I've said previously, I began drums due to my mother being a percussionist in the Long Beach women's symphony. I've drummed for over 50 years, mostly as a tympanist. The last 8 or so years, I've played a drum kit in the praise band at church. I've come to love it. Long story short, due to very underhanded and illegal activity by the pastor, I left my church. It's been gut-wrenching, but I also played at our sister church about an hour away. It felt like home there. Some of the praise team moved to the sister church. My husband has now let me know that if we continue to attend that church, I will no longer be allowed to be on the praise team. The band practices on Sunday after church and lunch, making for a long day for him. Soooo......I guess after this Sunday, I'll no longer be a drummer.....sorry about the long post, but I feel like a big part of me has died. Sad

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
12-28-2018, 09:51 AM (This post was last modified: 12-28-2018 09:59 AM by Nung.)

(12-27-2018 08:01 PM)Gungawoman Wrote:  As I've said previously, I began drums due to my mother being a percussionist in the Long Beach women's symphony. I've drummed for over 50 years, mostly as a tympanist. The last 8 or so years, I've played a drum kit in the praise band at church. I've come to love it. Long story short, due to very underhanded and illegal activity by the pastor, I left my church. It's been gut-wrenching, but I also played at our sister church about an hour away. It felt like home there. Some of the praise team moved to the sister church. My husband has now let me know that if we continue to attend that church, I will no longer be allowed to be on the praise team. The band practices on Sunday after church and lunch, making for a long day for him. Soooo......I guess after this Sunday, I'll no longer be a drummer.....sorry about the long post, but I feel like a big part of me has died. Sad

Yowsers. I love most of this post but hate the last bits. How amazingly cool that your mother was a pro percussionist. I wish I had started younger and had encouragement as you did. And tympani...rhythm and precise pitch, all at once. I have always admired players. (I had a co-worker back in the early 80's whose son was a good player.)

But what a shame about the developments at the church and your husband's edict. (It seems that there is a surprising amount of graft and bad behavior in the upper levels of religious groups.) If I were asked for advice, I would suggest you try to find an opportunity for your hubby to do something with one of his hobbies nearby on Sundays.

Because.
You.
Must.
Drum.

12-28-2018, 02:19 PM (This post was last modified: 12-28-2018 02:20 PM by NWoBHM.)
(12-27-2018 08:01 PM)Gungawoman Wrote:  As I've said previously, I began drums due to my mother being a percussionist in the Long Beach women's symphony. I've drummed for over 50 years, mostly as a tympanist. The last 8 or so years, I've played a drum kit in the praise band at church. I've come to love it. Long story short, due to very underhanded and illegal activity by the pastor, I left my church. It's been gut-wrenching, but I also played at our sister church about an hour away. It felt like home there. Some of the praise team moved to the sister church. My husband has now let me know that if we continue to attend that church, I will no longer be allowed to be on the praise team. The band practices on Sunday after church and lunch, making for a long day for him. Soooo......I guess after this Sunday, I'll no longer be a drummer.....sorry about the long post, but I feel like a big part of me has died. Sad

Hi Gunga,

The latter past of the post is very sad. Illegal activity by an official of the Church, which although seems more common place these days, still is not a nice thing to read. The hypocrisy!
I have played drums pretty much all my life, (starting at 13) and have always had the support of my wife during the 29 years we have been together. I find it so hard to understand someone denying another person their dream, passion, reason for being. I am a little taken aback to be honest. I hope that this will pass and you are able to play the drums again.

Living the dream over here in Blighty
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-03-2019, 03:42 PM
Ach...Sad

Gonna have to follow your heart on this one, Gunga. Though it has been my experience that a hard line softens over time.

To ask why we cook is to ask why the leaves fall...
01-03-2019, 03:53 PM
Yes, any changes on this issue?

I don't know you like I know my pals but somehow i just sense that you NEED to play drums.