Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Finding a mentor?
08-16-2010, 05:40 PM
Question Finding a mentor?
I'm sure that everyone here is familiar with NEPs choice of mentor in the inimitable Freddie Gruber. I guess with Neil's connections in the music biz it probably wasn't too difficult to get Freddie to agree to work with Neil.

But for us mere mortals, the process can be challenging.

I find myself at a crossroads in my career (or, rather, non-career) and would love to find a mentor to guide me through this process. At the age of 50 I really don't have that much time to figure it all out on my own. My retirement is fast approaching but my savings balance is, well, pretty thin.

Have you had a mentor? How did you choose him/her? Was it a success? Are you still in touch with him/her?

I'm very interested to hear what you all have to say.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-25-2010, 07:49 PM
RE: Finding a mentor?
(08-16-2010 05:40 PM)old honda rider Wrote:  I'm sure that everyone here is familiar with NEPs choice of mentor in the inimitable Freddie Gruber. I guess with Neil's connections in the music biz it probably wasn't too difficult to get Freddie to agree to work with Neil.

But for us mere mortals, the process can be challenging.

I find myself at a crossroads in my career (or, rather, non-career) and would love to find a mentor to guide me through this process. At the age of 50 I really don't have that much time to figure it all out on my own. My retirement is fast approaching but my savings balance is, well, pretty thin.

Have you had a mentor? How did you choose him/her? Was it a success? Are you still in touch with him/her?

I'm very interested to hear what you all have to say.

I've been fortunate to find excellent mentors in education-superiors who believed in me and colleagues whose intelligence and perseverance inspire...but that's in my profession. It depends what we're talking about. Money talks I suppose, so I pay our drum mentors (see "drumming"). In general though, mentors can speak to us through prose and poetry. The written word transcends time, space and money.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-26-2010, 07:39 PM
My mentor is Michael! Braaaaaaaap!!

Don't talk smack about Total!!
08-26-2010, 08:59 PM
I have never had any official mentors but I provoke people to school me, LOL. I pick brains. I take people out for coffee, lunch, dinner, drinks, strip clubs, whatever, so I can extract pearls of wisdom from them and learn from their experiences. Even people who are "guarded" and regard you as their competition will always cough up a pearl before the meeting is over...always. Get out and meet people who are where you want to be and take them out for a treat. Let them talk and vent. Listen to what they have to say, meditate on it, and then filter it through your own good judgment - they are not you, and no one size fits all, so while they may have a lot of knowledge to impart, you have to use what they give you in a way that works for you.
08-27-2010, 11:48 AM
I have, unfortunately, been mentor-less my whole life. I was just the other day thinking about what I could have accomplished in life, had someone said ANYTHING encouraging to me as a child. It takes a lot longer in life to realize what you want and what your goals are when you have no one to look up to. But now that I have, I'm going after them with all the speed I can muster in my old age. I'm hoping this didn't come off too whiney, because honestly, I think it's cool to try to get where I'm going all on my own. I mean, sure, a mentor, especially at a young age, would have been awesome. But being your own mentor is even better, because then it's ALL you.
08-27-2010, 12:05 PM
(08-27-2010 11:48 AM)Laffitupfzbl Wrote:  I have, unfortunately, been mentor-less my whole life. I was just the other day thinking about what I could have accomplished in life, had someone said ANYTHING encouraging to me as a child.
You know, it's funny you mention this. A situation like this just came up in conversation the other day.

When I was a youngster, back when Brontosaurus' were thudding their way around the planet, my parents always told me that I could do anything I wanted to do if I worked hard enough at it.

So I decided there were a couple of things that I wanted to do.

One was to be a musician (inspired, by no small measure, by our three friends). So when I announced that to my parents, they both rolled their eyes and said, "C'mon, that's not a reasonable or rational decision."

So, wounded, I looked for another type of occupation that I would enjoy and that would pay the bills. I decided that I wanted to become a professional writer. Could be fiction, could be non-fiction, I didn't know what particular area I wanted to specialize in, but that decision would come later. All I knew is that I wanted to become a writer.

"Are you crazy?" I was told. "Go into any bookstore and look at the competition. You'll NEVER get published! No way, no how, no chance."

The lesson, obviously, was that I could do whatever I wanted to do as long as my choice was in line with what my parents would call a "stable" job - banking, insurance, working for the government, something like that.

So here I sit, at the not-so-young age of 50, unemployed at the moment and none too happy about it.

I don't blame my parents for being the way they were. (They're still around, by the way.) They obviously wanted the best for me. I just wish their words and their subsequent actions were congruent. I'm convinced, beyond any doubt, that their encouragement to get a so-called "stable" job has resulted in me going from pillar to post, finding none of those occupations particularly rewarding. Sad

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
08-29-2010, 08:46 AM
I hear ya. I still want to be a rockstar or at least a paid songwriter or studio guy. For now I do what I do. I majored in Music and Italian (backup)but also had the "safety net" of teaching (I happened to like working with kids anyway). It was more accepted to say "I'm going to be an Italian teacher" or I'm "Supervisor of Arts and Adult Education" to support my family rather than "I'm going on the road." ..but I still won't give up! Be inspired and become who you will be. It's never too late.