Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Heirloom Tomatoes
09-25-2010, 09:11 PM
RE: Heirloom Tomatoes
(08-30-2010 08:04 PM)VincentUlyssis Wrote:  
(08-27-2010 05:02 PM)Brutus Wrote:  I just ordered 30 pounds of heirloom tomatoes that I will sort, peel, deseed and blend up with some fantastic organic garlic. I have 6 different types in a mixture of color and taste to store in freezer bags for the winter ahead. I do this every year but have never used tomatoes of this caliber before. Now if I can just keep them hidden from my house partners there might be some left to do this with. Sooooo good! On Tuesday I pick up 4 different types of beets and then it will be dills. Still having no luck finding pearl onions locally. I'll make some Giardiniera too. I'll keep you posted.

I tried to make Giardiniera once but everything turned brown. What's the secret for retaining the natural color of the vegetables. I used vinegar and salt. I'm sure there's something else I missed.

This could be a HUGE shot in the dark, but was the pan or any containers that you made it in Aluminum? That may have been the problem; high acid foods can react and discolor if made in Aluminum containers.

"Life ain't like books.
Books got somebody writin' 'em and tryin' to entertain ya.
Life is more like a set of Legos.
Unless you take care of 'em, you lose a few pieces and you end up steppin' on 'em with bare feet.
You gotta take care of your life."
~Laura Moncur
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-26-2010, 07:19 PM
RE: Heirloom Tomatoes
That's a good question. I don't recall. I really want to try again with Brutus' tips. He revolutionized my BBQ technique. I just have to plan a time to do this. I'm thinking of doing it the same time as my Uncle's Antiguan Pork (see Antiguan Pork-this is the most unique thing you've ever tried. It's Portuguese Rodizio with a heck of a kick, but I digress). With the vinegar out in the middle of that big project it may be a good time to make the Giardiniera as well, while enjoying some great red wine. As soon as it gets cooler-November. I'll make sure I avoid aluminum!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply