Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Wedding Cake Money Saving Trick
09-01-2010, 01:51 AM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2010 01:52 AM by Laffitupfzbl.)
Wedding Cake Money Saving Trick
A friend of mine did this, it was awesome!

She wanted to save money on her wedding cake by getting her mother-in-law to be to make it since she made wedding cakes as a side business. However, she did not want to place the burden of making a whole cake within three days of the wedding on someone who was already going to have a lot to do.

The solution? The MIL made a 'cake' out of styro foam forms, fondant icing, and shellac several months in advance. It was beautiful! Then, for the wedding, they ordered some cheap sheet cakes (or you could use cupcakes, etc) to serve to guests. They even set up the cake table so that they could cut into a sheet cake but it looked like they were cutting into the styro foam cake for pictures. It worked really well!

And trust me, as someone who has been a 'go to' cake cutter for many a wedding, the sheet cake route was the easiest service I've ever come across! No "circle - slice, circle - slice..." Good times!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-01-2010, 01:10 AM
RE: Wedding Cake Money Saving Trick
Nice Idea but one of the most important components of any western wedding ceremony is the wedding cake.
So don't be money orientated.
11-01-2010, 08:41 AM
So, nice idea, but it sucks? I'm actually using that idea in my own wedding. We're not even cutting a cake, but having a dessert bar. Just figured that everyone wanted to see a cake there, and for $30 in supplies, why not? Not everybody has an unlimited wedding budget, dear. I would think that, being a business owner, you'd know that.
11-01-2010, 10:20 AM
Wink RE: Wedding Cake Money Saving Trick
(11-01-2010 08:41 AM)Laffitupfzbl Wrote:  So, nice idea, but it sucks? I'm actually using that idea in my own wedding. We're not even cutting a cake, but having a dessert bar. Just figured that everyone wanted to see a cake there, and for $30 in supplies, why not? Not everybody has an unlimited wedding budget, dear. I would think that, being a business owner, you'd know that.
Check out the poster's name and number of posts. He/she is a troll. Pay no heed.

To your original post, I think it's a fine idea and can save you TONS of money.

Quick story about the wedding cake at my first marriage (yes, I've been married twice... guess I'm a slow learner)

Whoever did the cake did exactly what you suggested and had the lower tier (or two tiers, I can't remember) made out of styrofoam or something similar and then put regular icing on it.

Well, my parent's dog had eyes on it. And, true to form, on the wedding day there was a DOG BITE out of the bottom tier.

I hope he enjoyed trying to chew on a mouthful of styrofoam! We announced what had happened to our guests at the reception and it got howls of laughter. Seems that Sam - the dog - couldn't wait for the cutting of the cake! Big Grin

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
11-01-2010, 02:45 PM
Good story, OHR. I was thinking that, since it would be a fake cake, we might arrange for someone to "accidentally" knock it over. HILARIOUS!

Yeah, regarding the poster, I think he/she somehow surfed in due to the Wedding post because they have a reference to a wedding shop in Toronto. I'm usually fine with ignoring those types, but I started a new job today. Guess I'm a little jumpy.
11-02-2010, 01:19 PM
(11-01-2010 01:10 AM)bestforbride Wrote:  Nice Idea but one of the most important components of any western wedding ceremony is the wedding cake.
So don't be money orientated.

And we wonder why foreign countries hate us?

Don't talk smack about Total!!
11-02-2010, 01:55 PM
If I were to do it over, I would have had a very small round layered cake for us to cut (for the pictures) and then serve sheet cake or cupcakes for the guests.

A party without cake is really just a meeting
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-02-2010, 02:25 PM
When my Best Friend got remarried she had one of the other Bride's maids make her cake because she had just finished a baking/decorating class at the local college and was excited to try out all her new learned skills. Also the groom was not a cake guy so they had a very nice tray of chocolate decorated brownies as his cake. The guests thought it was nice to have either cake(which there were many different flavor layers) or brownies.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
11-02-2010, 04:29 PM
(11-02-2010 02:25 PM)2Beers Wrote:  The guests thought it was nice to have either cake(which there were many different flavor layers) or brownies.
Anything, uh, special in the brownies? Wink

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
11-02-2010, 06:31 PM
I'm up for some browniesSmile I'm retired baby!

Don't talk smack about Total!!